The Music Room > Classical Music for Beginners

Classical Music Reviews - magazines & online sources

<< < (2/11) > >>

Mark:
I'll add BBC Music Magazine, not least for its cover CDs of performances from the bottomless BBC archives. A good read, fairly balanced reviews (so far as I'm able to tell), and not as 'low brow' as Classic FM magazine, which really would be beneath most people here.

Norbeone:
Goldberg Magazine is supposedly excellent. It focuses mostly (or entirely?) on earlier music from Baroque era to before hand. Maybe it ventures into early classical era, though i'm not sure. It has some excellent sample articles on the official site and definately seems worths subscribing to.

http://www.goldbergweb.com/en/

Que:

--- Quote from: Norbeone on September 17, 2007, 10:13:31 AM ---Goldberg Magazine is supposedly excellent. It focuses mostly (or entirely?) on earlier music from Baroque era to before hand. Maybe it ventures into early classical era, though i'm not sure. It has some excellent sample articles on the official site and definately seems worths subscribing to.

http://www.goldbergweb.com/en/

--- End quote ---

I have seen it in the shops - enterily devoted to early music including baroque.
That is a too narrow scope for me and I have not so much interest for pre-baroque, but I would recomend it to early music lovers.

Q

Harry Collier:

I read The Gramophone (since 1956) but the reviews are becoming more and more skimpy and London-biased, so I may give it up soon. I read International Record Review which I like, because the reviews are a lot more detailed and the reviewers a lot less swayed by nationality or advertisers. I also read Le Monde de la Musique each month; very quirky, and with a very French bias. But it is good to have a variety of opinions; very occasionally, as with the recent Isabelle Faust recording of Beethoven's violin concerto, Gramophone, IRR and LM de la Musique all agree and that is rare enough to get me reaching for my ordering mouse.

Mark:

--- Quote from: Harry Collier on September 17, 2007, 11:20:35 AM ---... very occasionally, as with the recent Isabelle Faust recording of Beethoven's violin concerto, Gramophone, IRR and LM de la Musique all agree and that is rare enough to get me reaching for my ordering mouse.

--- End quote ---

Quite so. It's a rare thing indeed to get Gramophone, BBC Music and Classic FM magazines to agree on a great many releases in their reviews pages, and I've made a few errors in purchasing because of this. >:(

Now, I treat reviews as little more than a rough guide, which I feel justified in discarding if I so wish. But I do tend to pay attention to a handful of reviewers who write for two of the above-mentioned publications. That excludes Jed Distler, however.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version