Karl Amadeus Hartmann, Recommendations.

Started by Harry, April 17, 2007, 07:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Since I try to get a picture together of this composer, and not well versed into his music, I would like to invite some suggestions, and recommendations which works to tackle first, which works are must haves, and interpretation issues.
Since there is no Hartmann thread yet, I thought this was a good idea.
This is one recording I have of his music.

karlhenning

I have not heard his recordings, Harry, but Ingo Metzmacher has recorded the entire Hartmann cycle.  It looks still a fully-priced three-disc set:

Very much enjoyed the Fourth Symphony (for strings) when he conducted that in Boston a couple of years ago.

We've also got the Fifth Symphony on a wind band disc, performed by the Eastman Wind Ensemble (I seem to remember our discussing this a bit, back when the disc first arrived).

Obviously, I could not comment on it yet, but I am looking forward to a Telarc disc with the Symphonies Nos. 1 (Versuch eines Requiems) & 6 and teh iconic Miserae:

Todd

Quote from: Harry on April 17, 2007, 07:04:57 AMI would like to invite some suggestions, and recommendations which works to tackle first, which works are must haves

The Metzmacher set is as close as a must-have as I've heard.  The CPO disc of the string quartets is superb, too.  The Botstein disc (Telarc) is in great sound, but Metzmacher trumps him.  For the Concerto Funebre, the below disc is quite fine:

(It's on ECM if the writing is too small.)

If you can find the Vox twofer with Susanne Lautenbacher playing the piece, grab it, because her reading is better.  Also, the recent Kubelik Original Masters set has a couple Hartmann symphonies from his DG recordings, though Kubelik can also be found on the Wergo symphony cycle.  Ferdinand Leitner's recording of the Sixth symphony is well worth hunting down, too.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Don

Excellent composer, and these are my recordings:

Complete Symphonies - Metzmacher/EMI
Piano Works - Mauser/Virgin Classics (likely oop)
String Quartets - Pellegrini/CPO
Syms. 1 and 6/Miserae - Botstein/Telarc

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on April 17, 2007, 07:22:51 AM
I have not heard his recordings, Harry, but Ingo Metzmacher has recorded the entire Hartmann cycle.  It looks still a fully-priced three-disc set:

Very much enjoyed the Fourth Symphony (for strings) when he conducted that in Boston a couple of years ago.

We've also got the Fifth Symphony on a wind band disc, performed by the Eastman Wind Ensemble (I seem to remember our discussing this a bit, back when the disc first arrived).

Obviously, I could not comment on it yet, but I am looking forward to a Telarc disc with the Symphonies Nos. 1 (Versuch eines Requiems) & 6 and teh iconic Miserae:

Thanks Karl, I thought as much that the Metzmacher renditions were must haves. The Eastman wind Ensemble looks good too.
And of course the Telarc recording is also interesting.

Harry

Quote from: Todd on April 17, 2007, 07:30:22 AM

The Metzmacher set is as close as a must-have as I've heard.  The CPO disc of the string quartets is superb, too.  The Botstein disc (Telarc) is in great sound, but Metzmacher trumps him.  For the Concerto Funebre, the below disc is quite fine:

(It's on ECM if the writing is too small.)

If you can find the Vox twofer with Susanne Lautenbacher playing the piece, grab it, because her reading is better.  Also, the recent Kubelik Original Masters set has a couple Hartmann symphonies from his DG recordings, though Kubelik can also be found on the Wergo symphony cycle.  Ferdinand Leitner's recording of the Sixth symphony is well worth hunting down, too.

Well the Metzmacher did already make it on my list, the ECM too, and the Vox recordings I will try to find. I have seen the Wergo recordings also, it has all the symphonies too, but what to think of these recordings?
Leitner I have seen too, but would like to have some more infor about it.
Thanks Todd.

Harry

Quote from: Don on April 17, 2007, 07:32:23 AM
Excellent composer, and these are my recordings:

Complete Symphonies - Metzmacher/EMI
Piano Works - Mauser/Virgin Classics (likely oop)
String Quartets - Pellegrini/CPO
Syms. 1 and 6/Miserae - Botstein/Telarc

Thanks Don, it seems there is a consensus about the Metzmacher.

Don

Quote from: Harry on April 17, 2007, 07:45:02 AM
Well the Metzmacher did already make it on my list, the ECM too, and the Vox recordings I will try to find. I have seen the Wergo recordings also, it has all the symphonies too, but what to think of these recordings?

I also don't know what to think of the Wergo set, but I missed a golden opportunity to acquire it a few years ago.  The store had it listed at $15.99, and I passed on it.  What a jerk I was!

Harry

Quote from: Don on April 17, 2007, 07:57:56 AM
I also don't know what to think of the Wergo set, but I missed a golden opportunity to acquire it a few years ago.  The store had it listed at $15.99, and I passed on it.  What a jerk I was!

Blimey, that was cheap my friend, what a shame. :P

cx

I also recommend the Metzmacher (and, also, haven't heard the Wergo). But for the best symphony no. 6, with an electrifying performance and great sonics, you must get the Leitner:

As was mentioned, this disc is well worth investigating:

and so is the Zehetmair Quartett disc, which gives a very fierce and power-driven performance of his first string quartet, amazingly played mind you (coupled with a similarly edgy performance of Bartok's 4th string quartet). If you know and like the Bartok, you should find something to enjoy in the Hartmann, as he certainly does not try and hide the influence it had on him.

-CS

Harry

Quote from: CS on April 17, 2007, 08:54:32 AM
I also recommend the Metzmacher (and, also, haven't heard the Wergo). But for the best symphony no. 6, with an electrifying performance and great sonics, you must get the Leitner:

As was mentioned, this disc is well worth investigating:

and so is the Zehetmair Quartett disc, which gives a very fierce and power-driven performance of his first string quartet, amazingly played mind you (coupled with a similarly edgy performance of Bartok's 4th string quartet). If you know and like the Bartok, you should find something to enjoy in the Hartmann, as he certainly does not try and hide the influence it had on him.

-CS

Right thank you, the Leitner is on the list. But for now in the string quartets the CPO recording will do just fine, but I keep it in mind. :)

Robert

Quote from: Harry on April 17, 2007, 07:04:57 AM
Since I try to get a picture together of this composer, and not well versed into his music, I would like to invite some suggestions, and recommendations which works to tackle first, which works are must haves, and interpretation issues.
since there is no Hartmann thread yet, I thought this was a good idea.
This is one recording I have of his music.

Excellent start.....move on to symphony 6...try Leitner B/W Bruckner 6 on hanssler, then perhaps his ecm recording with concerto funebre, sinfonie and kammerkonzert ecm 289 465779-2 that should give you a good sampling before you get into all his symphonies....def worth exploring this dude....

Harry

Quote from: Robert on April 17, 2007, 09:05:06 AM
Excellent start.....move on to symphony 6...try Leitner B/W Bruckner 6 on hanssler, then perhaps his ecm recording with concerto funebre, sinfonie and kammerkonzert ecm 289 465779-2 that should give you a good sampling before you get into all his symphonies....def worth exploring this dude....

Which I will in this order as you told me.
Had a few samplings of the symphonies, and they are definitively my kind of music. :)

cx

Quote from: Harry on April 17, 2007, 09:11:11 AM
Which I will in this order as you told me.
Had a few samplings of the symphonies, and they are definitively my kind of music. :)

For some reason I didn't think it would have been your kind of music. He is hard to crack, employs plenty of dissonance, is rather eclectic in style, and pulls out lots of asymmetric rhythms. Despite the difficulties his music sometimes presents to the listener, I've always maintained that he is fundamentally an emotional composer, and further, one who relies on melody more than one would initially think. Glad you have so far found his music enjoyable. --CS

Harry

Quote from: CS on April 17, 2007, 09:24:43 AM
For some reason I didn't think it would have been your kind of music. He is hard to crack, employs plenty of dissonance, is rather eclectic in style, and pulls out lots of asymmetric rhythms. Despite the difficulties his music sometimes presents to the listener, I've always maintained that he is fundamentally an emotional composer, and further, one who relies on melody more than one would initially think. Glad you have so far found his music enjoyable. --CS

I totally agree with your assessment, but why did you think I would not connect to Hartmann?
I have in my collection composers which go much further as Hartmann goes.
Agreed he is not a easy ride, but in the end very rewarding nevertheless.
His SQ are daily fare.

not edward

Judging by what I've sampled of the Metzmacher Hartmann set (1, 2 and 5) I would regard the Wergo set as a superior option, despite the older sound. On the other hand, I think the Metzmacher Gesangszene (coupled with Miserae and some Dallapiccola) is excellent and superior to the Wergo issue. I've not yet head Leitner in the 6th symphony: really should as it's my favourite Hartmann work so far.

I'm really interested in Marek Janowski's new recording of the Sinfonia tragica and concerto for viola, piano and orchestra. It's coming out on Capriccio this month.

For the Concerto funebre the ECM disc is fine, though I think I marginally prefer Gertler and Ancerl on Supraphon (sadly Ancerl didn't record any other Hartmann, as I think he would have been great at it).

The Zehetmair Quartet's reading of #1 is definitely superior to the one on cpo.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Harry

Quote from: edward on April 17, 2007, 10:29:34 AM
Judging by what I've sampled of the Metzmacher Hartmann set (1, 2 and 5) I would regard the Wergo set as a superior option, despite the older sound. On the other hand, I think the Metzmacher Gesangszene (coupled with Miserae and some Dallapiccola) is excellent and superior to the Wergo issue. I've not yet head Leitner in the 6th symphony: really should as it's my favourite Hartmann work so far.

I'm really interested in Marek Janowski's new recording of the Sinfonia tragica and concerto for viola, piano and orchestra. It's coming out on Capriccio this month.

For the Concerto funebre the ECM disc is fine, though I think I marginally prefer Gertler and Ancerl on Supraphon (sadly Ancerl didn't record any other Hartmann, as I think he would have been great at it).

The Zehetmair Quartet's reading of #1 is definitely superior to the one on cpo.

Thank you Edward for this explanation about the Wergo set. :)

Daverz

Kubelik/BRSO in Symphonys 4 & 8.  These are studio recordings made by DG, and I think that both sound and performance are superior to the live recordings on Wergo.  You can also get these DG recordings in the Kubelik "Original Masters" box.    If you can find it, the original Lp was also lovely sounding, one of the best DGs I've ever heard.

With Gertler in the Concerto Funebre.  I have the first CD issue, which was more sensibly coupled with some Hindemith works.

The previously mentioned ECM disc with Poppen et al is a beautiful introduction to Hartmann.  And the Leitner 6th on Hänssler is a real barnburner, if you don't mind buying a Bruckner 6 to get it.

cx

Quote from: Harry on April 17, 2007, 09:36:56 AM
I totally agree with your assessment, but why did you think I would not connect to Hartmann?
I have in my collection composers which go much further as Hartmann goes.
Agreed he is not a easy ride, but in the end very rewarding nevertheless.
His SQ are daily fare.

Not that I would think you could not connect with Hartmann's music -- I think most people could, if they let him grow on them. Just from experience it seems that his style instantly repels many people, and I thought your main interest was romantic music, so I simply did not expect it. I did not mean to judge your taste, or anything like that!  --CS

karlhenning

Of course, if Hartmann had written for lots of sopranos, mind . . . .

0:)