Karl Amadeus Hartmann, Recommendations.

Started by Harry, April 17, 2007, 07:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toledobass

For anyone in the northwest Ohio region who may be interested in hearing some Hartmann live,  the Toledo Symphony will be performing his Concerto Funebre next weekend.  Here are more details.

Allan         

karlhenning

Guido

Have been listening to these Symphonies again recently as well as the violin concerto - these are just fantastic works.

I would be very keen to hear the concerto for viola, piano and winds - has anyone got that CD? Also I really want to find the missing cello concerto now!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Dundonnell

Quote from: Guido on March 14, 2009, 03:15:32 PM
Have been listening to these Symphonies again recently as well as the violin concerto - these are just fantastic works.

I would be very keen to hear the concerto for viola, piano and winds - has anyone got that CD? Also I really want to find the missing cello concerto now!

I will send you the link for the viola and piano concerto, Guido :)

Guido

Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

not edward

Quote from: Guido on March 14, 2009, 03:15:32 PM

I'd love to get hold of that CD, but so far it has proven elusive. I'll keep looking, though.

Have you heard Schneiderhan/Kubelik live on Orfeo in the violin concerto? For me, it blows other recordings out of the water--amazing intensity.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

snyprrr

Harry, you said the SQs were "daily fare." Being as I'm mostly into SQs at the moment and have been mulling over Hartmann, can you give me any go through? I hear the 2nd is the better. I started the Pfitzner thread to get some thoughts on the last generation of the German romantics (I mean as opposed to Stockhausen, that is): Schmidt, Pzitzner, Hartmann, Hindemith, Eisler, Weill. Can't think of anyone else.I take it Blacher would fit more with the younger generation.

always saved that Hartmann/Metz box for a rainy afternoon...

Dundonnell

Quote from: snyprrr on March 15, 2009, 01:19:43 PM
Harry, you said the SQs were "daily fare." Being as I'm mostly into SQs at the moment and have been mulling over Hartmann, can you give me any go through? I hear the 2nd is the better. I started the Pfitzner thread to get some thoughts on the last generation of the German romantics (I mean as opposed to Stockhausen, that is): Schmidt, Pzitzner, Hartmann, Hindemith, Eisler, Weill. Can't think of anyone else.I take it Blacher would fit more with the younger generation.

No....if you can appreciate Hartmann then you should have absolutely no difficulty with Blacher ;D

Dundonnell

Quote from: edward on March 15, 2009, 11:26:01 AM
I'd love to get hold of that CD, but so far it has proven elusive. I'll keep looking, though.

Have you heard Schneiderhan/Kubelik live on Orfeo in the violin concerto? For me, it blows other recordings out of the water--amazing intensity.

Your Inbox is full!  I can let you have the links to this disc if you would like.

not edward

A new Hartmann recording that looks mighty tempting, out soon:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/NR_June09/WER67142.htm

Benjamin Schmid in the Concerto funebre might be something special, not to mention the less well-known works here.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."

karlhenning

Quote from: edward on May 08, 2009, 11:54:28 AM
A new Hartmann recording that looks mighty tempting, out soon:

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/NR_June09/WER67142.htm

Benjamin Schmid in the Concerto funebre might be something special, not to mention the less well-known works here.

Have you reeled that one in yet, Edward?

not edward

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 01, 2009, 04:07:05 AM
Have you reeled that one in yet, Edward?
I haven't seen it yet. If I had, I would.

karlhenning

Quote from: snyprrr on March 15, 2009, 01:19:43 PM

TTT

karlhenning

Quote from: Harry on April 17, 2007, 07:46:00 AM
Thanks Don, it seems there is a consensus about the Metzmacher.

I've just this week managed to bring in the Metzmacher set, and have been listening to the first CD. Wonderful!

Karl Henning

Quote from: edward on March 15, 2009, 11:26:01 AM

Just fetched this one in. Started in at the start of the CD, with the Concerto for piano, winds & percussion, which (even if it is not a soul-stretcher) I find a very nicely turned piece.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

CPO vs Nimbus  in the String Quartets

Anyone?

I'm happy with Nimbus, haven't heard CPO.

jlaurson

Quote from: snyprrr on May 22, 2012, 07:46:45 PM
CPO vs Nimbus  in the String Quartets

Anyone?

I'm happy with Nimbus, haven't heard CPO.

Neither contain the two Concertinos for string quartet... but for just SQ4ts 1 & 2, I say stick with the Vogler over the Pellegrini's (fine though they also are).

snyprrr

Quote from: jlaurson on May 23, 2012, 03:17:02 AM
Neither contain the two Concertinos for string quartet... but for just SQ4ts 1 & 2, I say stick with the Vogler over the Pellegrini's (fine though they also are).

Thanks! ;)

I really like Hartmann's SQs here. They really satisfy the need for a "post-war" German perspective, Pfitzner seemingly representing the "even more" depressed ethos (though his Late music tends more towards "Mozart" (Schubert?), rather than Hartmann's more "Beethovanian" take?).

I am slowly finding the high points of the 1940s SQs. I like the Hindemith 5-6 (or 6-7,...if you include...), the Chavez 3, Vaughn Williams 2, Malipiero 5, Hartmann 2,... surely others (Myaskovsky, though different,... DSCH 4-6,... Prokofiev 2)... they all have an accumulated nobility, a certain standard of received pathos (minor ninth/major seventh?,... very Stravinskian?)...

Forgive me, but I DO seek out works forged by horror... Bridge's Piano Trio No.2 being my most famous example... would love to hear more (but only for the right reasons of course!!)

Shostakovitch + Hindemith = Hartmann?? (just in these SQs?)

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on May 23, 2012, 08:54:35 AM
Thanks! ;)

I really like Hartmann's SQs here. They really satisfy the need for a "post-war" German perspective, Pfitzner seemingly representing the "even more" depressed ethos (though his Late music tends more towards "Mozart" (Schubert?), rather than Hartmann's more "Beethovanian" take?).

I am slowly finding the high points of the 1940s SQs. I like the Hindemith 5-6 (or 6-7,...if you include...), the Chavez 3, Vaughn Williams 2, Malipiero 5, Hartmann 2,... surely others (Myaskovsky, though different,... DSCH 4-6,... Prokofiev 2)... they all have an accumulated nobility, a certain standard of received pathos (minor ninth/major seventh?,... very Stravinskian?)...

Forgive me, but I DO seek out works forged by horror... Bridge's Piano Trio No.2 being my most famous example... would love to hear more (but only for the right reasons of course!!)

Shostakovitch + Hindemith = Hartmann?? (just in these SQs?)

Hartmann, anyone?