Karl Amadeus Hartmann, Recommendations.

Started by Harry, April 17, 2007, 07:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

So what are QFB and QTB?

I don't know what some people may be entertaining now but before String Theory (which is a kind of Quantum field theory for all I know) there were some "geometrical" theories in the wake of General relativity that might be considered alternative candidates for "theories of everything" or fundamental physical theories.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Scion7

Not only did this guy stick it out through the Nazi years, he actively resisted (not only) through his compositions.  Dangerous thing to do.

Just recently started to explore his piano music.
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scion7 on October 12, 2015, 07:19:09 PM
Not only did this guy stick it out through the Nazi years, he actively resisted (not only) through his compositions.  Dangerous thing to do.

Just recently started to explore his piano music.

How he wasn't killed by the Nazis is beyond me, but I'm certainly glad they didn't as he gave us some of the most ferocious and powerful music of the 20th Century. The first work I heard from Hartmann was his Symphony No. 2 and I was instantly hooked.

Karl Henning

I need to go back and listen a couple of times more, but my initial hearing of Des Simplicius Simplicissimus Jugend was pure sonic delight.  I'm sure I should enjoy it yet more, if there were an English translation of the libretto (!!), but my ignorance did not interfere with my admiration of the music.

Any source online of a translated libretto?...
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jo498

Cannot help with the libretto but the book it is based on is the most famous German novel of the 17th century (and one of the first German language novels). It is a sprawling picaresque story of a boy/young man (who goes by Simplicius Simplicissimus because he did not know his real name so a hermit who gave him some education called him the most simple-minded - of course he turns out to be quite clever) during the 30 years war. I am not sure if there is a decent English translation but I'd recommend it for everyone liking such early modern picaresque (including lots of brutality and some questionable potty humor) stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplicius_Simplicissimus
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

ritter

Quote from: Jo498 on December 20, 2016, 08:52:37 AM
Cannot help with the libretto but the book it is based on is the most famous German novel of the 17th century (and one of the first German language novels). It is a sprawling picaresque story of a boy/young man (who goes by Simplicius Simplicissimus because he did not know his real name so a hermit who gave him some education called him the most simple-minded - of course he turns out to be quite clever) during the 30 years war. I am not sure if there is a decent English translation but I'd recommend it for everyone liking such early modern picaresque (including lots of brutality and some questionable potty humor) stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplicius_Simplicissimus
And Der abenteuerliche Simplicissimus Teutsch is the Grimmelshausen book so dear to George Smiley (and that remains uncollected at his club at the end) in John La Carré's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy...

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

I will get to work on that translation of the Simplicius libretto!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

As promised: here is Part I of an English Translation (mine) of the text of Simplicius Simplicissimus: perhaps this will be an opportunity to enthuse more people about the opera.

Update: just fixed two small problems in the text.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Nearly two years without a HARTMANN comment?!   ??? :o

I placed this under the What Are You Listening To Now? topic:

Hartmann: Symphonies 6 and 7   (Call the fire department!  This music is HOT!)   $:)

[asin]B000025RFU[/asin]

I noticed that there is a new set (i.e. 2014) from the Netherlands Radio Philharmonic: any reviews?  It costs $60.00 or so, and I am wondering if the performances and sound beat Kubelik and Company in the WERGO.

Any experts here on that set?

Daverz

Quote from: Cato on August 31, 2018, 03:41:03 PM

Arkivmusic has a Fanfare review:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=1146461

And Amazon UK has some useful reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Karl-Amadeus-Hartmann-Symphonies-Nos/dp/B00H1EOR3Y

I have both sets, and I think that the Challenge classics easily outclasses the old Wergo set.

JBS

I have it. I see no reason to get another set. But I am not an avid Hartmannite.
ETA 11/5/18
Very belated edit for the benefit of anyone reading this thread.
When I said "I have it" I was referring to the Wergo set.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on August 31, 2018, 03:41:03 PM

I don't think much of the Metzmacher or this newer set from Challenge Classics. I have yet to hear anyone capture the magic that Kubelik did (not to mention the on conductors in that Wergo set like Ferdinand Leitner and the other conductor(s) slip my mind at the moment). I say just stick with the Wergo set.

Cato

Quote from: Daverz on August 31, 2018, 06:59:42 PM
Arkivmusic has a Fanfare review:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=1146461

And Amazon UK has some useful reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Karl-Amadeus-Hartmann-Symphonies-Nos/dp/B00H1EOR3Y

I have both sets, and I think that the Challenge classics easily outclasses the old Wergo set.

Quote from: JBS on August 31, 2018, 07:07:39 PM
I have it. I see no reason to get another set. But I am not an avid Hartmannite.

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 31, 2018, 08:06:33 PM
I don't think much of the Metzmacher or this newer set from Challenge Classics. I have yet to hear anyone capture the magic that Kubelik did (not to mention the on conductors in that Wergo set like Ferdinand Leitner and the other conductor(s) slip my mind at the moment). I say just stick with the Wergo set.

Okay!  Many thanks for the responses!  It looks like I have some investigating and thinking to do!  I agree with the unenthusiastic responses about Metzmacher: somehow he is just not on the same level as the conductors from the good ol' days.  Of course, Rafael Kubelik is a legend across the board: it is difficult to surpass him.

Irons

I have the Wergo set (LP). Listened today to the 5th Symphony - Symphony Concertante. Brilliant piece with unusual orchestration without violins and violas. I like the get up and go of the work and had to smile at the mickey-take of Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" in the middle movement.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Cato

Quote from: Irons on October 31, 2018, 04:49:27 AM
I have the Wergo set (LP). Listened today to the 5th Symphony - Symphony Concertante. Brilliant piece with unusual orchestration without violins and violas. I like the get up and go of the work and had to smile at the mickey-take of Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" in the middle movement.

Whether you go backward to the earlier symphonies, or forward to the later ones - which continue with the energetic aspect of the Fifth - Hartmann will not disappoint you!

Maestro267

Ordered the first six symphonies of Hartmann's. Looking forward to hearing them.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 11, 2020, 12:21:12 PM
Ordered the first six symphonies of Hartmann's. Looking forward to hearing them.

Which recordings?