Karl Amadeus Hartmann, Recommendations.

Started by Harry, April 17, 2007, 07:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I find it interesting that wiser heads haven't prevailed in terms of Wergo reissuing their mixed conductor Hartmann symphonies set (mainly Kubelik). Their set has been OOP for many years now and looks like they're not going to reissue it. In 2023, it'll mark the 60th anniversary of the composer's passing. Maybe then? :-\

vandermolen

How come I never contributed to this thread?  :o
I was so impressed by his stance against the Nazis (according to Grunberger's 'A Social History of Nazi Germany' Hartmann forbade any broadcast of his music during the era of the Third Reich apart from his String Quartet based on Jewish themes!) It's hardly surprising that his music went into something of an eclipse at that time and I'm surprised that he wasn't arrested. Anyway I bought the Wergo boxed set of LPs but found that much as I admire him they weren't really my cup of tea. They did remind me a bit of Berg's music. Having said that I do greatly admire the Concerto Funebre, which quoted Czech themes at the time of the dismemberment of Czechoslovakia in 1938 (he really was pushing his luck) and also I like Symphony No.4.
Here he is:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 11, 2020, 02:21:30 PM
Which recordings?

Bamberg/Metzmacher. I know there's two more symphonies on another disc, but the 1-6 set was in my price range at this time. I'll pick up 7 & 8 another time.

Jo498

There is another unnumbered "Sinfonia Tragica" that was recorded e.g. bei Rickenbacher on Koch/Schwann together with the 2nd.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Cato

OH my!  Nearly two years have gone by since I wrote here?!

I had all the major Hartmann works on vinyl, and then bought the WERGO CD set many years ago!  The Kubelik performances are classics: DGG released two of the performances (#4 and #8) on an LP, which I wore down to nothing!   :D

Here is a set I have not heard with some conductors unknown (to me):

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/hartmann-symphonies-nos-1-8

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jo498 on July 12, 2020, 04:53:22 AM
There is another unnumbered "Sinfonia Tragica" that was recorded e.g. bei Rickenbacher on Koch/Schwann together with the 2nd.

Sinfonia Tragica has also been recorded on the Capriccio label, which is the recording I own of it:

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on July 11, 2020, 11:10:46 PM
How come I never contributed to this thread?  :o
I was so impressed by his stance against the Nazis (according to Grunberger's 'A Social History of Nazi Germany' Hartmann forbade any broadcast of his music during the era of the Third Reich apart from his String Quartet based on Jewish themes!) It's hardly surprising that his music went into something of an eclipse at that time and I'm surprised that he wasn't arrested. Anyway I bought the Wergo boxed set of LPs but found that much as I admire him they weren't really my cup of tea. They did remind me a bit of Berg's music. Having said that I do greatly admire the Concerto Funebre, which quoted Czech themes at the time of the dismemberment of Czechoslovakia in 1938 (he really was pushing his luck) and also I like Symphony No.4.
Here he is:

Jeffrey, I urge you to listen Symphonische Hymnen, which isn't in the Wergo set, but you can probably find on YouTube. The performance is outstanding as Kubelik conducts the Bavarian RSO. I would say give the symphonies another chance. There's some incredible music within them. His 6th seems to be his most lauded and I'll agree it's one of his best.  You should also hear the Sinfonia Tragica and Kammerkonzert.

In fact, here go, Jeffrey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik5CWl9UatQ

Cato

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 12, 2020, 06:26:37 AM

Jeffrey, I urge you to listen Symphonische Hymnen, which isn't in the Wergo set, but you can probably find on YouTube. The performance is outstanding as Kubelik conducts the Bavarian RSO. I would say give the symphonies another chance. There's some incredible music within them. His 6th seems to be his most lauded and I'll agree it's one of his best.  You should also hear the Sinfonia Tragica and Kammerkonzert.

Amen!  0:)

Here are the Symphonische Hymnen:

https://www.youtube.com/v/ik5CWl9UatQ

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on July 12, 2020, 05:21:55 AM
OH my!  Nearly two years have gone by since I wrote here?!

I had all the major Hartmann works on vinyl, and then bought the WERGO CD set many years ago!  The Kubelik performances are classics: DGG released two of the performances (#4 and #8) on an LP, which I wore down to nothing!   :D

Here is a set I have not heard with some conductors unknown (to me):

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/hartmann-symphonies-nos-1-8

Yeah, poor ol' K. A. Hartmann's corner in the composer discussion section was looking quite lonely wasn't it? I'm glad someone dusted off the cobwebs. He deserves more attention than he receives. For me, he's the finest 20th Century German symphonist.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 12, 2020, 06:26:37 AM

In fact, here go, Jeffrey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik5CWl9UatQ
Thanks very much John. I'm getting an 'Adobe Flash Player is blocked' message but, not to worry, with my Sherlock Holmes-type detective skills I shall track that work down.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mahlerian

I read a pretty good book last year called Hindemith, Hartmann, and Henze that went over the lives and works of those three relatively mainstream 20th century German composers.

Very non-technical and readable for any interested listener.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Maestro267

Intriguing to link those three, given the age gap between Henze and the others. Henze died 49 years after the other two.

Cato

Quote from: Mahlerian on July 12, 2020, 08:12:04 AM
I read a pretty good book last year called Hindemith, Hartmann, and Henze that went over the lives and works of those three relatively mainstream 20th century German composers.

Very non-technical and readable for any interested listener.

Yes, an excellent account!  It might seem parallel to Dika Newlin's Bruckner, Mahler, Schoenberg, but no, it is rather different.  Her work is much more analytical rather than biographical.

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 12, 2020, 06:45:56 AM
Yeah, poor ol' K. A. Hartmann's corner in the composer discussion section was looking quite lonely wasn't it? I'm glad someone dusted off the cobwebs. He deserves more attention than he receives. For me, he's the finest 20th Century German symphonist.

Amen!  And maybe not just the finest German symphonist!  8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Cato on July 12, 2020, 08:18:15 AMAmen!  And maybe not just the finest German symphonist!  8)

I don't mean to seem unfair to deal ol' K. A., but, in the grand scheme of 20th symphonists, he's low on my own personal list as much as I love his symphonies.

Symphonic Addict

His string quartets, the Concerto for piano, winds and percussion and the symphony for strings (don't remember its number) are my favorite works by Hartmann. The Concerto Funebre didn't make a strong impression on me.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 12, 2020, 02:00:02 PM
His string quartets, the Concerto for piano, winds and percussion and the symphony for strings (don't remember its number) are my favorite works by Hartmann. The Concerto Funebre didn't make a strong impression on me.

No love for the other symphonies? Have you hard Symphonische Hymnen? The 4th symphony is the one for string orchestra. I can't stand that work Concerto for piano, winds and percussion. Oh and I adore the Concerto funbre, but also the Kammerkonzert.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 12, 2020, 03:50:19 PM
No love for the other symphonies? Have you hard Symphonische Hymnen? The 4th symphony is the one for string orchestra. I can't stand that work Concerto for piano, winds and percussion. Oh and I adore the Concerto funbre, but also the Kammerkonzert.

Don't have strong memories of them at the moment, yet I do recall liking several of them, just that the one for strings stands out for its intensity and visceral expressivity.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 12, 2020, 04:31:19 PM
Don't have strong memories of them at the moment, yet I do recall liking several of them, just that the one for strings stands out for its intensity and visceral expressivity.

With as much music as you plow through, it'd be difficult to remember a lot of what you hear, especially at the rate of speed you go. :) Some things are bound to stick out more than others.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 12, 2020, 04:34:28 PM
With as much music as you plow through, it'd be difficult to remember a lot of what you hear, especially at the rate of speed you go. :) Some things are bound to stick out more than others.

I just tell you I am a very different listener.  ;)

I like to explore many composers and in the process I detect what composers deserve more attention than others according to my tastes, and Hartmann is not one of them (for now).

Noam Chomsky