Karl Amadeus Hartmann, Recommendations.

Started by Harry, April 17, 2007, 07:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 12, 2020, 05:52:45 PM
I just tell you I am a very different listener.  ;)

I like to explore many composers and in the process I detect what composers deserve more attention than others according to my tastes, and Hartmann is not one of them (for now).

You're certainly different that's for sure. ;) :P But, yes, I can relate to what you're saying. I don't listen to Hartmann a whole lot either.

vandermolen

Quote from: Cato on July 12, 2020, 06:40:58 AM
Amen!  0:)

Here are the Symphonische Hymnen:

https://www.youtube.com/v/ik5CWl9UatQ

Thank you Leo and John. I listened to the first few minutes and enjoyed what I heard. It reminded me a bit of Stravinsky and Schulhoff. I will certainly be investigating this work further.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

These symphonies are fantastic! No. 3 is probably the standout for me after first listen.

Cato

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 13, 2020, 03:58:17 AM
These symphonies are fantastic! No. 3 is probably the standout for me after first listen.

The Sixth Symphony is truly a spiritual wringer, but they all hit the soul in some way!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Maestro267

Yes, No. 6 is also up there. Not musically, but I've mentally grouped this cycle alongside ones like Honegger and Chávez. Namely, a decent number of symphonies, not all of which are scored for standard orchestra. Honegger has Nos. 2 (mainly strings only) and 4 (small orchestra), Chávez has 5 (strings only) and Hartmann has 4 (strings) and 5 (winds and low strings)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Maestro267 on July 13, 2020, 06:45:34 AM
Yes, No. 6 is also up there. Not musically, but I've mentally grouped this cycle alongside ones like Honegger and Chávez. Namely, a decent number of symphonies, not all of which are scored for standard orchestra. Honegger has Nos. 2 (mainly strings only) and 4 (small orchestra), Chávez has 5 (strings only) and Hartmann has 4 (strings) and 5 (winds and low strings)

Speaking of Chávez, I wish someone would record his symphonies again. They're in dire need of a modern update.

Maestro267

Picked up the remaining 2 symphonies, coupled with a disc of piano works.

These symphonies are remarkable. No. 6 is definitely my favourite now; the finale is some of the most thrilling music I've ever heard.

Symphonic Addict

I can't hide my enthusiasm towards Symphonische Hymnen. What a tremendous work!! A discovery of the highest importance to me lately.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

+1 for the stunning string quartets. His solo piano music is still unknown to me, but I don't doubt it must be interesting.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Cato

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on August 16, 2020, 05:01:55 PM
I can't hide my enthusiasm towards Symphonische Hymnen. What a tremendous work!! A discovery of the highest importance to me lately.

Amen!   0:)

For those who would like to verify the truth of Symphonic Addict's statement:

https://www.youtube.com/v/ACyRtKSn4kE
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Cato on August 17, 2020, 06:07:26 PM
Amen!   0:)

For those who would like to verify the truth of Symphonic Addict's statement:

https://www.youtube.com/v/ACyRtKSn4kE

There is no excuse to not let yourself be impressed by this work.  ;D

Noam Chomsky

Maestro267

I've encountered a structural problem with the Piano Sonata on this set. The track listing gives the impression that it's a sonata in five movements, but the liner notes inside say the "fifth movement" is actually an alternate finale rather than an actual part of the sonata in its own right. So really the first four movements are the Sonata proper. Or should both movements count towards a complete performance of the Sonata?

pjme

From the Hartmann Gesellschaft

You probably listened to this work:

SONATA "27. APRIL 1945"for piano solo
Am 27. und 28. April 1945 schleppte sich ein Menschenstrom von Dachauer "Protected prisoners" an uns vorüber – unendlich war der Strom – unendlich war das Elend – unendlich war das Leid ["On April 27 and 28, 1945 a stream of 'People in protective custody' dragged themselves past us – infinite was the stream – infinite was the misery – infinite was the suffering -"]

I Bewegt ["Moving"]
II Presto assai (Scherzo)
III Marcia funebre (Lento)
IV 1st version: Allegro resoluto – 2nd version: Allegro furioso (Stürmisch, leidenschaftlich) ["Stormy, passionate"]
So, it is an alternate finale.

Performance duration: 16′.

First performance: June 13, 1982, musica viva, Herbert Henck (piano)

or

1ST SONATA FOR PIANO
I Toccata
II Langsamer Tanz ["Slow dance"]
III Finale

Performance duration: 14′

First performance: December 29, 1990 (Siegfried Mauser)

Read more at: https://www.hartmann-gesellschaft.de/en/karl-amadeus-hartmann/werkverzeichnis/

Maestro267

The 1945 one, yes.

It's deeply unsettling that EMI tried to make the work seem longer than it actually is. By all means, include the alternate finale, but clearly list is as such on the tracklist, and don't add V. to it to make it feel like it's a fifth movement of the sonata as it stands, when it isn't.

Symphonic Addict

I must say it is a stunner. I'm talking about the Symphony No. 3 from this set. Spectacularly well played, understood, committedly done. What a work.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 04, 2021, 07:36:13 PM
I must say it is a stunner. I'm talking about the Symphony No. 3 from this set. Spectacularly well played, understood, committedly done. What a work.

Yes, an awesome symphony, Cesar. I prefer the older Wergo set, though.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 04, 2021, 07:47:57 PM
Yes, an awesome symphony, Cesar. I prefer the older Wergo set, though.

Too bad the Wergo set is not easily available. If it were, I'd be listening to those ones too for sure. I LOVED this symphony. My kind of music.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on September 04, 2021, 08:09:51 PM
Too bad the Wergo set is not easily available. If it were, I'd be listening to those ones too for sure. I LOVED this symphony. My kind of music.

Yeah, Hartmann was a great discovery for me, too. Love so much of his music.

Irons

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 04, 2021, 08:24:28 PM
Yeah, Hartmann was a great discovery for me, too. Love so much of his music.

The thing that amazes me most is that no two of the eight symphonies are alike. My favourites are No.4 for strings and NO.6 which blows your socks off! But they all have something special to say.

Possibly included in the Wergo CD set, the LP booklet includes a 1963 portrait of the brothers Karl Amadeus and Adolf by Adolf. Talented family!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Irons on September 05, 2021, 12:40:34 AM
The thing that amazes me most is that no two of the eight symphonies are alike. My favourites are No.4 for strings and NO.6 which blows your socks off! But they all have something special to say.

Possibly included in the Wergo CD set, the LP booklet includes a 1963 portrait of the brothers Karl Amadeus and Adolf by Adolf. Talented family!

Yes, they're all so different and I think this speaks volumes about how versatile he was as a composer. And a big yes to Symphony No. 6! But, honestly, there are no weak links in his symphonic output.