Author Topic: Karl Amadeus Hartmann, Recommendations.  (Read 39081 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1962 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Debussy, Mahler, Strauss, Sibelius, Bartók et. al.
Re: Karl Amadeus Hartmann, Recommendations.
« Reply #200 on: November 29, 2021, 08:24:11 AM »
I wish Harry would retitle this thread....::)

Anyway...

I wrote a review for the Metzmacher set on EMI:

Hartmann Symphonies Drained Of All Their Energy And Character

Poor K. A. Hartmann (1905 - 1963) hasn't faired too well on CD or, at least, at the time of these Metzmacher performances this seemed to have been the case. There was an earlier Wergo set, which I love, but only had mediocre FM radio audio quality. The saving grace for this Wergo set, however, were the performances with Rafael Kubelik dominating most of this set with his scorching, take-no-prisoners approach, which worked wonders for Hartmann's music. This Metzmacher set, despite getting some 5-star reviews here, is a poorly conceived project interpretatively and is letdown down by subpar audio from EMI. There is no rush of energy in these performances, but it doesn't help that the fidelity also hinders the performances, so it's double-edged sword in this regard --- no matter how you angle it, you're going to get cut.

My suggestion is to track down the Wergo set or the newer set on Challenge Classics (which sees Metzmacher return but in top-form unlike he is here) and skip this EMI set. Hartmann's music needs fire and doesn't deserve to be dowsed in water like it is here in this EMI set.
"Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art." - Claude Debussy

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Pettersson and others
« Reply #201 on: November 29, 2021, 09:49:39 AM »
I beg to differ. I was blown away by the symphonies on EMI. They did enough to convince me that they're thrilling works.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #202 on: November 29, 2021, 10:15:19 AM »
I beg to differ. I was blown away by the symphonies on EMI. They did enough to convince me that they're thrilling works.

Have you heard other performances of these works, though? The multi-conductor sets on Wergo and Challenge Classics?

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #203 on: November 29, 2021, 10:37:15 AM »
On a related note, I listened the James Gaffigan performances of the 2nd and 3rd symphonies on Challenge Classics several nights and ago and, of course, they blew Metzmacher's performances out-of-the-water. If you haven't heard them or have heard them, but disagree, you definitely need to have your hearing checked.