Tchaikovsky ballets

Started by hautbois, September 18, 2007, 04:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Quote from: Peregrine on November 05, 2007, 09:37:43 AM
Is that Naxos?

Yes, and good it is.....
Recording is very good, and there is definitively a balletic approach, Mogrelia understands the rhythm of ballet dancers.

hautbois

Quote from: Man-on-fire on November 05, 2007, 01:28:10 AM
My recommendations:
Sleeping Beauty: Dorati with Concertgebouw Orchestra

ABSOLUTELY

Dorati's Nutcracker with the Concertgebouw is equally spectacular. Great sonics and accoustics, and one can almost hear the players enjoying the performance as well.

Howard

Drasko

Quote from: Man-on-fire on November 05, 2007, 02:58:37 AM
Well, I think it is not, although I have found something on russian site about it, possible available for Russia : http://www.russiandvd.com/store/product.asp?sku=34711&genreid=

Russiandvd is from New York ;D, if you click on the american flag on the top it'll switch to english but it doesn't say anything except that it's out of print.
So, let's hope that classicstoday's guy inside info on future RCA release is correct and while we're waiting I'll enjoy Svetlanov's superb account on Melodiya:

Que

Quote from: Drasko on November 05, 2007, 09:50:50 AM
.. while we're waiting I'll enjoy Svetlanov's superb account on Melodiya:

Svetlanov's Nutcracker is excellent as well!  :)

Q

Peregrine

Decision, decisions...

After reading the replies here, and 'extensive' research over at RMCR, I honestly can't make up my mind what to get next  :-\

Thanks for replies though chaps!
Yes, we have no bananas

head-case

Quote from: Peregrine on November 05, 2007, 10:29:01 AM
After reading the replies here, and 'extensive' research over at RMCR, I honestly can't make up my mind what to get next  :-\
My mind still reels when I see browsing a web site referred to as "research."

sidoze

Quote from: Peregrine on November 05, 2007, 10:29:01 AM

bottom line: always choose Russians in Russian music. The rest can be added later (and then Ebayed).

Que

Quote from: sidoze on November 05, 2007, 10:47:39 AM
bottom line: always choose Russians in Russian music. The rest can be added later (and then Ebayed).

Agree all the way. Tried lots of "Western" interpretations before I came to the same conclusion... :-\
Forget the Dutoits, Ozawas, Lanchberrys, Previns, etc., etc.

Q

sidoze

Quote from: Que on November 05, 2007, 10:53:01 AM
Agree all the way. Tried lots of "Western" interpretations before I came to the same conclusion.
Forget the Dutoits, Ozawas, Lanchberrys, Previns, etc., etc.

Q

I've always admired Dorati so I'd say he's the exception here (even though I haven't heard his recording). Otherwise....

Que

Quote from: sidoze on November 05, 2007, 10:54:53 AM
I've always admired Dorati so I'd say he's the exception here (even though I haven't heard his recording). Otherwise....

Well, I didn't mention Dorati for a reason!  :) 
And he is wonderful - I wouldn't want to part with his recordings. Still even Dorati with the RCO (in the ballets) does not quite deliver the real Russian "feel".

I would also emphatically exempt Markevitch's recordings with non-Russian orchestras.  :)

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on November 05, 2007, 11:02:48 AM
Well, I didn't mention Dorati for a reason!  :) 
And he is wonderful - I wouldn't want to part with his recordings. Still even Dorati with the RCO (in the ballets) does not quite deliver the real Russian "feel".

I would also emphatically exempt Markevitch's recordings with non-Russian orchestras.  :)

Q

And pray what is the Russian feel Que.
I have seen many a ballet in Russia and outside, but a Russian feel, Hmmmm.
Is that the same as the elusive Russian Soul........
If I start a conversation with my Russian friends about this, they involuntarily laugh about this notion we Westerners have....

rubio

Quote from: Drasko on November 05, 2007, 09:50:50 AM
Russiandvd is from New York ;D, if you click on the american flag on the top it'll switch to english but it doesn't say anything except that it's out of print.
So, let's hope that classicstoday's guy inside info on future RCA release is correct and while we're waiting I'll enjoy Svetlanov's superb account on Melodiya:

Anybody know if the below CD is the same as the above? They are both stocked by RussianDVD, recorded in 1988, but the below one is a bit cheaper.

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

sidoze

Quote from: Harry on November 05, 2007, 01:02:19 PM
And pray what is the Russian feel Que.
I have seen many a ballet in Russia and outside, but a Russian feel, Hmmmm.
Is that the same as the elusive Russian Soul........
If I start a conversation with my Russian friends about this, they involuntarily laugh about this notion we Westerners have....

indeed, what is the Russian feel, Harry? How about an explanation of the difference between the Russian Scriabin (Sofronitsky) and that Scriabin which you keep recommending to everyone? Still waiting....

Que

Quote from: rubio on November 05, 2007, 01:09:46 PM
Anybody know if the below CD is the same as the above? They are both stocked by RussianDVD, recorded in 1988, but the below one is a bit cheaper.

I suspect so - the Nutcracker seems to be repackaged as well.

Q

Renfield

Hmm... Perhaps those Melodiya discs might turn up locally when the record store from that thread re-stocks. :D

I've Ozawa, Dutoit, Yablonsky and Sawallisch, for the complete Swan Lake (the only Tchaikovsky ballet I have in full): from which I recommend Ozawa for the "floating" feeling, and Dutoit for the French take. ;)

Larry Rinkel

Gergiev's Nutcracker is slightly cut, and though he phrases well his tempos are so fast as to be undanceable. For a Nutcracker, I'd recommend the DVD of Balanchine's splendid production with the New York City Ballet, nicely conducted by David Zinman and featuring Kyra Nichols, Darci Kistler, and Damian Woetzel in their prime, along with a sinuous young Wendy Whelan as Coffee. Macaulay Culkin is the Nutcracker/Prince; fortunately he's not so obtrusive as to ruin the proceedings.

I wish I knew a good DVD of either Swan Lake or Sleeping Beauty, so I'll have to go with Dorati and Ozawa for audio-only as recommended above. But I consider these works ballets, and unless the choreography is experienced, I think a lot is lost.

rubio

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Que

Quote from: rubio on November 05, 2007, 10:52:17 PM
I found Rozhdestvensky's Swan Lake from Rare Russian Records on some unknown label. It looks a bit dodgy...

I agree. Since I am very satisfied with my Svetlanov's Nutcracker - not so with Gergiev's over-the-top "Modernist" version btw - Svetlanov's Swan Lake is on my shopping list.

But... how is the Yablonski?  :)

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on November 06, 2007, 09:02:13 AM
I- not so with Gergiev's over-the-top "Modernist" version btw
Q

There is nothing over the top with Gergiev's interpretation Que, I strongly protest....
And what is modernist for Dickens sake?
I think its the best recorded Notenkraker there is, if you allow me, dear fellow... :)

O, yes, Yablonski is a bit of a drag IMO, but well recorded..

Que

Quote from: Harry on November 06, 2007, 09:06:08 AM
There is nothing over the top with Gergiev's interpretation Que, I strongly protest....
And what is modernist for Dickens sake?
I think its the best recorded Notenkraker there is, if you allow me, dear fellow... :)

Your protest is duly noted, Harry;D
What I mean is that Gergiev is too hard-driven - even relentless, rather charmless and accentuated in a way that reminds me more of Modernism than of a Romanticism.

QuoteO, yes, Yablonski is a bit of a drag IMO, but well recorded..

Thanks for the info. :)

Q