Author Topic: Handel...The Harmonious Blacksmith Of Music  (Read 29828 times)

Offline vers la flamme

• Veteran member
Re: Handel...The Harmonious Blacksmith Of Music
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2020, 01:28:56 AM »
Nice, I didn't know Pinnock recorded any of them. Going to check that out.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2020, 02:34:07 AM »
That's the reissue original issue of the Pinnock. He also played the complete 5th suite on an earlier anthology (there is another anthology on crd with older music (Byrd etc.) which I prefer). (The Archiv disc titled Harmonious Blacksmith only has the variations that was included in the Handel re-issue)

NB the d minor suite with the famous Sarabande (orchestrated version used in Barry Lyndon and a Levi's commercial) is not included by Pinnock. It's on the set you already have with an ultra slow performance by Gavrilov
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 02:50:58 AM by Jo498 »
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2020, 01:31:21 PM »
I stumbled across this article on the BBC's website.  It's about the clocks at the various British palaces and the horologist who is currently looking after them.  One thing that I read is about a clock that contains (plays) pieces (4) composed specifically for the clock by Handel.  Perhaps one can hear them online?  Or maybe not?  Neat story in any event.  Nice article and beautiful clocks to look at too.  :)

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-54387428

PD

Handelian

« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2020, 01:18:51 PM »
Handel was an amazing man and not just as a composer. He was a real entrepreneur who hired his singers, rehearsed them and the music, produce the operas and put them on and conducted them. And in his spare time he would compose more operas and more music! He really was quite phenomenal. He seem to have not only a musical genius but the genius for organisation as well. I have found reading Dr Jane Glover’s book ‘Handel in London’ very illuminating and would recommend it to anyone. It’s very interesting to compare him with Beethoven. Whereas if Beethoven tried to organise a concert he would create chaos, Handel had everything organised to the fingertips. And it can’t be that it is because Handel was German because so was LvB

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2020, 02:43:34 PM »
I saw your introduction and want to welcome you from a Norwegian Handelian.

Handelian

« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2020, 11:38:26 PM »
I saw your introduction and want to welcome you from a Norwegian Handelian.

Thanks! Your set-up appears more ordered than mine!  :D

Offline Rosalba

• Currently Listening to:
    classical music
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2021, 03:54:56 AM »
Handel was an amazing man and not just as a composer. He was a real entrepreneur who hired his singers, rehearsed them and the music, produce the operas and put them on and conducted them. And in his spare time he would compose more operas and more music! He really was quite phenomenal. He seem to have not only a musical genius but the genius for organisation as well. I have found reading Dr Jane Glover’s book ‘Handel in London’ very illuminating and would recommend it to anyone. It’s very interesting to compare him with Beethoven. Whereas if Beethoven tried to organise a concert he would create chaos, Handel had everything organised to the fingertips. And it can’t be that it is because Handel was German because so was LvB

I have been wondering about this book, so thanks for the recommendation.

Happy New Year to all Handel-lovers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y56mMUIn9fY
George Frideric Handel - Concerto Grosso, Op. 6, No. 01 in G Major (HWV 319): Allegro
Music is Magic.