The Purcell Thread

Started by dtwilbanks, September 18, 2007, 06:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mn dave

I don't know why flash only sometimes works here. It's probably just me.  ::)

Anyway, here's Manuel Bras (still can't figure special characters out either) singing "What Power Art Thou"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdgQGcu8NMU

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Dido and Aeneas videos have been added today on Youtube (by Case Western Reserve University), there's even a high quality option:
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=case&search_query=dido&search=Search

mn dave

Quote from: Wurstwasser on July 03, 2008, 08:26:45 AM
Dido and Aeneas videos have been added today on Youtube (by Case Western Reserve University), there's even a high quality option:
http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=case&search_query=dido&search=Search

Thanks! I'll check it out later.

I added a link to the Purcell thread in the Composers' area, but no one bit.  :-\

I reckon Opera/Vocal, not to talk about baroque, are rather difficult businesses here on GMG (me included, usually listen to late romantics /  big orchestra music). But someone recommended the Purcell Opera to me, now I cannot get my hands off this CD, and I hope I'll see the opera life some day...

mn dave

Quote from: Wurstwasser on July 03, 2008, 09:04:11 AM
I reckon Opera/Vocal, not to talk about baroque, are rather difficult businesses here on GMG (me included, usually listen to late romantics /  big orchestra music). But someone recommended the Purcell Opera to me, now I cannot get my hands off this CD, and I hope I'll see the opera life some day...

Why, I believe that was me.  ;D

Why? Because I love the music and singing. It's also intellectually interesting, I read and try to understand the lyrics, because english is not my native language and the opera singing is hard to understand. Usually I'd have a clear advantage, because many operas are sung/spoken in german :D

mn dave

Quote from: Wurstwasser on July 03, 2008, 09:15:49 AM
Why? Because I love the music and singing. It's also intellectually interesting, I read and try to understand the lyrics, because english is not my native language and the opera singing is hard to understand. Usually I'd have a clear advantage, because many operas are sung/spoken in german :D

We English-speakers need at least a handful of operas that we don't need translations for. :)

His music sounds surprisingly modern (to my ears) for someone from that era.

I'm new to everything here, Purcell, vocal music and baroque [-thanks MN Dave]: Surprisingly Purcell works. Really surprising. What is music of his which you'd like to point out? I've listened to Dido and Aeneas a couple of times, the highlights for me are "Ah Belinda" in the biginning and of course the lament beginning with "Thy hands, Belinda..." until the last chorus words "...never part". Gives me all goosebumps.

I've also heard the songs "Cease, anxious world" and "Oh let me weep". Lovely. The latter is pretty similar to the Dido lament.
It's really all surprising, I even like the harpsichord sound. :o And organs which appear in some tracks.

What's your favourite Purcell moments then? :)

Quote from: Mn Dave on June 28, 2008, 07:00:30 AMAnyway, here's Manuel Bras (still can't figure special characters out either) singing "What Power Art Thou"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdgQGcu8NMU
Oh, extraordinary. Is this from King Arthur? This must be very difficult to sing. I like the piece, I just don't like such high male pitches. Maybe an octave deeper, or sung by a female.

BTW I'd also merge the Purcell threads.

mn dave

Quote from: Wurstwasser on July 07, 2008, 11:43:58 AM
I'm new to everything here, Purcell, vocal music and baroque: But surprisingly Purcell works. Really surprising. What is music of his which you'd like to point out? I've listened to Dido and Aeneas a couple of times, the highlights for me are "Ah Belinda" in the biginning and of course the lament beginning with "Thy hands, Belinda..." until the last chorus words "...never part". Gives me all goosebumps.

I've also heard the songs "Cease, anxious world" and "Oh let me weep". Lovely. The latter is pretty similar to the Dido lament.
It's really all surprising, I even like the harpsichord sound. :o And organs which appear in some tracks.

What's your favourite Purcell moments then? :)
Oh, extraordinary. Is this from King Arthur? This must be very difficult to sing. I like the piece, I just don't like such high male pitches. Maybe an octave deeper, or sung by a female.

Yes, King Arthur. I don't have it with me, but I just picked up a recording of King Arthur and I believe the male voice on there is at least an octave lower. I'll have to check later and get back to you.

mn dave

Quote from: Wurstwasser on July 07, 2008, 11:43:58 AM

Yes, there is a bass singing this song on my Pinnock recording of King Arthur. His name is Brian Bannatyne-Scott.

mn dave

I just ordered this from Amazon:

There are not many books on Purcell that I can find. This one seems to be the most current, or at least one of the most current. If you've read it, feel free to share your thoughts.

I also purchased this last night:

Purcell was one of the last composers to write for the viola de gamba. And it is some of the best work ever written for the instrument.

mn dave

Those of us in London may want to check this out:

Saturday 4 October 2008, 10am-5pm

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 07, 2008, 01:19:45 PMYes, there is a bass singing this song on my Pinnock recording of King Arthur. His name is Brian Bannatyne-Scott.
Probably you knew, but I just found out this is widely known as the "cold song", youtube reveals some more performances with this name. Liked this one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=OFA_yAc_870

mn dave

Quote from: Wurstwasser on July 08, 2008, 06:34:59 AM
Probably you knew, but I just found out this is widely known as the "cold song", youtube reveals some more performances with this name. Liked this one: http://youtube.com/watch?v=OFA_yAc_870

Yes, I knew. I will check out that link later.

Thank you.

Have you purchased any new Purcell?

FideLeo

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 08, 2008, 05:19:58 AM

Purcell was one of the last composers to write for the viola de gamba.

???

In Germany Carl Friedrich Abel was still writing gamba sonatas nearly a century after Purcell died.  
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

mn dave

Quote from: traverso on July 08, 2008, 06:45:56 AM
???

In Germany Carl Friedrich Abel was still writing gamba sonatas nearly a century after Purcell died.  

I guess no one told him it wasn't in fashion anymore.  :)

FideLeo

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 08, 2008, 06:47:19 AM
I guess no one told him it wasn't in fashion anymore.  :)

Check his bio and come back again.  ;)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

mn dave

Quote from: traverso on July 08, 2008, 06:48:22 AM
Check his bio and come back again.  ;)

No, thanks. I have enough to keep me occupied.

FideLeo

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 08, 2008, 06:56:57 AM
No, thanks. I have enough to keep me occupied.

Well no more guessing about Mr. Purcell and Mr. Abel then.  :)

mn dave

Quote from: traverso on July 08, 2008, 06:59:06 AM
Well no more guessing about Mr. Purcell and Mr. Abel then.  :)

Maybe I meant viol consort. I know I read it somewhere.