The Purcell Thread

Started by dtwilbanks, September 18, 2007, 06:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Well I am not denying it David.
Thank you for reminding us, what a genius he really was! :)
But why not write it in your other thread about this great man?

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Harry on September 20, 2007, 09:15:08 AM
Well I am not denying it David.
Thank you for reminding us, what a genius he really was! :)
But why not write it in your other thread about this great man?

Because he deserves a thread in here, I thought, with all the other composers.

Harry

Quote from: dtwilbanks on September 20, 2007, 09:19:30 AM
Because he deserves a thread in here, I thought, with all the other composers.

Well then ask one of the mods to merge the two together, on this thread.
Many good things were written there, and to divide attention between the two.............

dtwilbanks

Quote from: Harry on September 20, 2007, 09:23:36 AM

Well then ask one of the mods to merge the two together, on this thread.
Many good things were written there, and to divide attention between the two.............

We have the rest of our lives to fill this thread up.

locrian

Are you afraid of Purcell perhaps? I have found this CD very rewarding. And it's a Naxos so you should be able to get it cheap.

http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.553129#

locrian

Here's the link to the recording thread:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,3463.0.html

Has anyone visited Purcell's resting place in Westminster Abbey? Can you share your experience with us if you have? I couldn't find any pictures.

"Purcell is buried adjacent to the organ in Westminster Abbey. His epitaph reads, "Here lyes Henry Purcell Esq., who left this life and is gone to that blessed place where only his harmony can be exceeded.""

mn dave

Time to add a new recording to the pile...AND...

Bump this thread.  :P

Lethevich

The following box has been of great value to me. I bought it for £40 and it has repaid that large (for a boxed set) expenditure many times over in musical richness...

I get the feeling that he would be considered "greater" if he produced more works which fitted to the continental standards (masses, passions, oratorios, etc), although I suppose he was earlier than the great exponents of those forms. His small-scale anthems and other works are simply a joy to listen to.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

mn dave

Quote from: Lethe on June 04, 2008, 07:20:37 PM
His small-scale anthems and other works are simply a joy to listen to.

I, of course, agree. :)

I haven't heard a piece of Purcell I haven't loved or at least liked. There is a lightness of spirit to his work that sounds like nothing else I've heard in the baroque. It never fails to draw me in and keep me captivated.

FideLeo

I get the feeling that he would be considered "greater" if he produced more works which fitted to the continental standards (masses, passions, oratorios, etc), although I suppose he was earlier than the great exponents of those forms. His small-scale anthems and other works are simply a joy to listen to.

Hmm, no -- he wasn't earlier than those great exponents.  M-A Charpentier, for example, was a contemporary of his.  But Purcell was Protestant -- the English Church exactly -- which required none of those forms in liturgical music.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Harry

The following box has been of great value to me. I bought it for £40 and it has repaid that large (for a boxed set) expenditure many times over in musical richness...

That is indeed a awesome box, reviewed that one very extensively.

mn dave

Quote from: traverso on June 04, 2008, 08:36:42 PM
Hmm, no -- he wasn't earlier than those great exponents.  M-A Charpentier, for example, was a contemporary of his.  But Purcell was Protestant -- the English Church exactly -- which required none of those forms in liturgical music.

Earlier than Bach and Handel.

FideLeo

Quote from: mn dave on June 05, 2008, 05:22:35 AM
Earlier than Bach and Handel.

So?  Handel wrote no mass setting ;)
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

mn dave

Quote from: traverso on June 05, 2008, 05:36:17 AM
So?  Handel wrote no mass setting ;)

You catch my drift though?

FideLeo

Quote from: mn dave on June 05, 2008, 05:39:28 AM
You catch my drift though?

No -- there were great mass, oratorio and passion composers before H & B.

mn dave

Quote from: traverso on June 05, 2008, 05:41:18 AM
No -- there were great mass, oratorio and passion composers before H & B.

But none greater.  0:)

FideLeo

Quote from: mn dave on June 05, 2008, 05:43:05 AM
But none greater.  0:)

For you.  I have my favourites.  0:) 0:) 0:) 

mn dave

Quote from: traverso on June 05, 2008, 05:44:10 AM
For you.  0:) 0:) 0:)  I have my favourites.

Oh, I'm sure. I'd like to discover what some of those are sometime, but I've hardly tapped into Handel yet.

FideLeo

Quote from: mn dave on June 05, 2008, 05:45:33 AM
Oh, I'm sure. I'd like to discover what some of those are sometime, but I've hardly tapped into Handel yet.

Have fun.

mn dave

Quote from: traverso on June 05, 2008, 05:46:08 AM
Have fun.

If you have any favorite Purcell recordings, you should list them. :) [Or have you already?]