The Purcell Thread

Started by dtwilbanks, September 18, 2007, 06:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Quote from: mn dave on June 05, 2008, 05:47:02 AM
If you have any favorite Purcell recordings, you should list them. :) [Or have you already?]

That's up to me to decide, isn't it?  :D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

mn dave

FideLeo

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

mn dave

Thanks!

See, that wasn't so hard. ;)

FideLeo

Quote from: mn dave on June 05, 2008, 06:03:27 AM

See, that wasn't so hard. ;)

Who said it was hard?  It has been my second disc rec in the thread already  ::)

Bunny

Quote from: E d o on September 19, 2007, 07:48:05 AM
Another vote for the viol fantasias from Phantasm. Sadly it's OOP though. Fretwork is a good alternative.
I'm also quite pleased with Herreweghe's Funeral Sentences.

If anyone is still interested, the last time I looked it was still available from HBdirect

Meanwhile, I just picked this up at BMG music:

The Fairy Queen - Gardiner, Monteverdi Ch., EBS.  Full texts available at the DG Alfresco website.  If they ask for a password, just enter archiv60. ;)

mn dave

Some good information there, Bunny! A libretto would be nice as I don't have one. Downloaded music, don't you know, doesn't always come with notes.

This Purcellian thanks you.

Bunny

mn dave

Quote from: Bunny on June 06, 2008, 10:48:09 AM
You are very welcome!

Just ordered the CD too. I'm putting all your info to good use. ;)

Bunny

Btw, it's not necessary to print out the notes in more than one language.  That way I saved a tree (or part of a tree).

Btw, the password works for all the Alfresco titles.  I put it in once, and I've been getting all of the notes... :D

mn dave

Very cool. Thanks again.

Harry

May I recommend this my fine fellows? 8)

mn dave

Of course you may.

But you already have earlier in the thread.  ;D

Harry

Quote from: mn dave on June 06, 2008, 11:29:21 AM
Of course you may.

But you already have earlier in the thread.  ;D

True, but that was a long time ago, and maybe people forgot about them, right? :)
Just saying mind! ;)

mn dave

Quote from: Harry on June 06, 2008, 11:31:00 AM
True, but that was a long time ago, and maybe people forgot about them, right? :)
Just saying mind! ;)

Well, if we listen to our friend Que, we are to dredge up these old threads and use all this old information so there is no need to repeat.  ;D

mn dave

Here you may read a biography of Purcell from 1909.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/14430

FideLeo

Que

Quote from: traverso on June 05, 2008, 06:01:15 AM

To name one.

I've enjoyed that one very much, a totally new side of Purcell for me! :)

Quote from: mn dave on June 06, 2008, 11:33:54 AM
Well, if we listen to our friend Que, we are to dredge up these old threads and use all this old information so there is no need to repeat.  ;D

Indeeeed! ;)
At least now Harry has repeated himself on the same thread.. ;D ;)

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on June 06, 2008, 09:48:54 PM
I've enjoyed that one very much, a totally new side of Purcell for me! :)

For me that side is, er, FCUK ;) 

IMO, William Christie and his Les arts florissants do most excellently in that regard also.