The Purcell Thread

Started by dtwilbanks, September 18, 2007, 06:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 08, 2008, 07:00:03 AM
Maybe I meant viol consort. I know I read it somewhere.

So you were half-guessing.  Ha! 
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

mn dave

This from a quick google: "The last music for viol consorts before their modern revival was probably written in the early 1680s by Henry Purcell."

So there.

FideLeo

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 08, 2008, 07:02:45 AM
This from a quick google: "The last music for viol consorts before their modern revival was probably written in the early 1680s by Henry Purcell."

So there.

Yes I knew that.  But that is not what you wrote.
So there.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

mn dave

Quote from: traverso on July 08, 2008, 07:05:33 AM
Yes I knew that.  But that is not what you wrote.
So there.

So, I dropped a word.  ;D

I can see I'm going to have to keep on my toes around you.

karlhenning

Just make sure those are your toes that you're keeping on, lad.

mn dave

Quote from: traverso on July 08, 2008, 07:11:36 AM
Well I was merely trying to keep all facts straight.

Much appreciated.

Karl, :)

FideLeo

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 08, 2008, 07:08:27 AM
So, I dropped a word.  ;D

I can see I'm going to have to keep on my toes around you.

Well I was merely trying to keep facts straight.  The word "consort" does mean something doesn't it?  :)

mn dave

Quote from: traverso on July 08, 2008, 07:14:12 AM
Well I was merely trying to keep facts straight.  The word "consort" does mean something doesn't it?  :)

Indeed. That's what I get for working from memory.

SonicMan46

Hmmm - can't believe that I've not added 'something' to this thread on Henry Purcell - he is one of my favorite composers from that era; probably have about a dozen or so CDs, mostly instrumental music - also, bought the book below Purcell (1994) by Maureen Duffy - quite good as I recall but may be OOP?

mn dave

Quote from: SonicMan on July 08, 2008, 07:53:17 AM
Hmmm - can't believe that I've not added 'something' to this thread on Henry Purcell - he is one of my favorite composers from that era; probably have about a dozen or so CDs, mostly instrumental music - also, bought the book below Purcell (1994) by Maureen Duffy - quite good as I recall but may be OOP?

Ah, another book for me to locate. Thanks, Dave!

karlhenning

This is probably so not done on this thread . . . but I do like the Britten variations on a Purcell theme (A Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra).

It is also high time I revisited a nice 'bonus' on the Hyperion disc of the complete Britten Canticles, three Purcell 'realizations', Let the dreadful engines, In the black dismal dungeon of despair & Evening Hymn.

mn dave

Quote from: karlhenning on July 08, 2008, 08:05:36 AM
This is probably so not done on this thread . . .

Seems like a valid  post to me. Thanks.

karlhenning

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 08, 2008, 08:13:42 AM

Seems like a valid post to me. Thanks.

Well, I can come out from the black dismal dungeon of despair, then  0:)

mn dave

Quote from: karlhenning on July 08, 2008, 08:30:15 AM
Well, I can come out from the black dismal dungeon of despair, then  0:)

He's a whole of fun, Purcell is.

SonicMan46

Just to add a few recommendations - two of my favorite 'instrumental discs' for a while (bought separately) are the Twelve Sonatas of Three Parts & Ten Sonatas in Four Parts, both w/ the London Baroque - but in searching Amazon for the images, I saw that Harmonia Mundi has combined these into a bargain package (below, far rigtht); boy, for the price, this twofer should make any Purcell fan beam w/ delight!  :D

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 08, 2008, 06:41:30 AMHave you purchased any new Purcell?

No, but got those from my local library yesterday, not yet listened to them:

mn dave

Quote from: Wurstwasser on July 08, 2008, 09:30:21 PM
No, but got those from my local library yesterday, not yet listened to them:

Let us know how the listening goes, please. :)

mn dave

Quote from: SonicMan on July 08, 2008, 08:54:24 AM
Just to add a few recommendations - two of my favorite 'instrumental discs' for a while (bought separately) are the Twelve Sonatas of Three Parts & Ten Sonatas in Four Parts, both w/ the London Baroque - but in searching Amazon for the images, I saw that Harmonia Mundi has combined these into a bargain package (below, far rigtht); boy, for the price, this twofer should make any Purcell fan beam w/ delight!  :D

Thanks for the tip, Dave!