The Purcell Thread

Started by dtwilbanks, September 18, 2007, 06:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 10, 2008, 12:16:58 PM
Not yet. I just ordered it because you reminded me.

That Purcell Brilliant Box Set (7-CDs) has received some excellent comments, probably in the 'listening thread' by Harry?  ;D  I have it on my 'want list' but really need to check the contents - may already have many of the recordings on other discs?   :)

mn dave

Do you have that 11-CD Hyperion vocal set mentioned earlier in the thread, Dave?

SonicMan46

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 10, 2008, 02:27:51 PM
Do you have that 11-CD Hyperion vocal set mentioned earlier in the thread, Dave?

Good evening, Dave - I assume you mean the one shown below?  Nope - not sure that I could listen to that much 'sacred music' by Purcell?  :) ;D

I have 4 CDs of Purcell's vocal works (both sacred & secular) & Dido & Aeneas - I'd have to check the discs to see what's included?  :)

mn dave

Quote from: SonicMan on July 10, 2008, 02:44:30 PM
Nope - not sure that I could listen to that much 'sacred music' by Purcell?

Yes, good evening. :)

Too much Purcell couldn't possibly be bad.  ???

;D  ;)

Tapio Dimitriyevich Shostakovich

Come one, tell me, which are your favourite songs/Lieder you sing out loud when you're in the bath tub? I'm currently performing the King Arthur/cold song, some Dido, Cease Anxious world Z362... successfully...

71 dB

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 08, 2008, 06:47:19 AM
I guess no one told him it wasn't in fashion anymore.  :)

Gamba shouldn't have gone out of fashion in the first place!  :-\
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

prémont

Quote from: SonicMan on July 10, 2008, 02:22:40 PM
That Purcell Brilliant Box Set (7-CDs) has received some excellent comments, probably in the 'listening thread' by Harry?  ;D  I have it on my 'want list' but really need to check the contents - may already have many of the recordings on other discs?   :)

Whatever you own beforehand, this box is outstanding value for money and not to be missed.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

I found out, in baroque vocal music, I prefer the female voices. There are exclusively male voices on the latest CD I listened to (O solitude). Can someone give me recommendations for CDs with songs with more/only female vocals?

sTisTi

Quote from: Wurstwasser on July 24, 2008, 12:43:58 AM
I found out, in baroque vocal music, I prefer the female voices. There are exclusively male voices on the latest CD I listened to (O solitude). Can someone give me recommendations for CDs with songs with more/only female vocals?
For Purcell, I can recommend you "A Purcell Songbook" sung exclusively by Emma Kirkby
Even better imo is the same lady's collaboration with Fretwork in the "Consort Songs" by William Byrd

Dr. Dread

This is a cheap bump, I know.  ;D

Any news on the Purcell front? Anything you'd like to say?

jwinter

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 12, 2009, 06:08:14 AM
This is a cheap bump, I know.  ;D

Any news on the Purcell front? Anything you'd like to say?

Love Purcell.  This is a gorgeous set, IMO, wouldn't be without it:

And I have a couple of versions of Dido.  For something a little different, I'm also very fond of Stokowski's transcription of Dido's Lament, done beautifully by Serebrier on Naxos.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Dr. Dread

Quote from: jwinter on March 12, 2009, 06:21:00 AM
Love Purcell.  This is a gorgeous set, IMO, wouldn't be without it:

And I have a couple of versions of Dido.  For something a little different, I'm also very fond of Stokowski's transcription of Dido's Lament, done beautifully by Serebrier on Naxos.

I have that set! Must get back to it...

Do you have this DG box set?

jwinter

No, I only have the two Didos.  This one, which is superb:

and this one, which is also good, but not a patch on the above IMO:

Dr. Dread

Quote from: jwinter on March 12, 2009, 06:29:30 AM
No, I only have the two Didos.  This one, which is superb:

and this one, which is also good, but not a patch on the above IMO:

You can download the Pinnock on Amazon. I don't know if buying the CDs is cheaper or not but it's a fun set.

I have that top Dido and, yeah, I don't hear anyone beating it.

jwinter

Just bought this today at lunch -- instrumental parts and overtures from a number of things.  Sounded great in the car ;D

Dr. Dread

Quote from: jwinter on March 12, 2009, 09:51:10 AM
Just bought this today at lunch -- instrumental parts and overtures from a number of things.  Sounded great in the car ;D

Nice!

There's also a "Complete Ayres for Theater" on Hyperion.

With Purcell, maybe Baroque in general, I've got one problem: I like it. But - everything pretty much sounds the same. E.g. phrases in baroquoid music always end the same, even at the same note ... not sure how I can say this, but you may guess what I mean. A pretty monolithic concept those days.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Wurstwasser on March 20, 2009, 07:14:45 AM
There's also a "Complete Ayres for Theater" on Hyperion.

With Purcell, maybe Baroque in general, I've got one problem: I like it. But - everything pretty much sounds the same. E.g. phrases in baroquoid music always end the same, even at the same note ... not sure how I can say this, but you may guess what I mean. A pretty monolithic concept those days.

I know what you mean. Yet when you have the urge for it, nothing else will do. And the works from composer to composer do vary enough to keep me fascinated.

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 20, 2009, 07:17:57 AMI know what you mean. Yet when you have the urge for it, nothing else will do. And the works from composer to composer do vary enough to keep me fascinated.
I'm most fascinated by Purcells Harpsichord/Organ music companioned by a female voice. So sweet. This recording has it all and is very sweet:

I hope one day I'll listen to something like this live.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Wurstwasser on March 20, 2009, 07:56:54 AM
I'm most fascinated by Purcells Harpsichord/Organ music companioned by a female voice. So sweet. This recording is very sweet:

I hope one day I'll listen to something like this live.

Thanks for the tip, sir.