Exceptional Bach Violin Sonatas/Partitas, Cello Suites at an Extraordinary Price

Started by Scott, September 18, 2007, 07:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott

Although it came out in 2004, I just discovered a 4CD box set that includes Christian Tetzlaff playing Bach's Violin Sonatas and Partitas, and the woefully underrated Ralph Kirshbaum playing the Cello Suites. And at about $2 per CD! I've written a review here: http://tinyurl.com/2thoqs
Without music, life would be a mistake. -- Nietzsche

prémont

Agreed. The almost "unbearable" beauty of these recordings must be heard to be believed.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Tyson

Tetzlaff is pretty good here, but the Kirshbaum is exceptional and justifies the price of the set many times over.
At a loss for words.

Josquin des Prez

To be frank, wasn't particularly impressed with either. I actually liked Christian Tetzlaff better, but he was rather young when he recorded this and it shows. He released a new set which seems to be an improvement, though i haven't listened to it myself, just voicing what others have said. Been meaning to check his Bartok, but didn't get the chance yet. It seems to be getting lots of praise though.

Scott

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on September 18, 2007, 06:42:44 PM
To be frank, wasn't particularly impressed with either. I actually liked Christian Tetzlaff better, but he was rather young when he recorded this and it shows. He released a new set which seems to be an improvement, though i haven't listened to it myself, just voicing what others have said. Been meaning to check his Bartok, but didn't get the chance yet. It seems to be getting lots of praise though.

Actually I own it, too, and reviewed it at Amazon.com. I prefer the more recent one by a hair. It's more, how can I say, mature, more confident, and a bit less edgy, which I like. My other review is here: http://snipurl.com/1qwet

Frankly the reason I put the box-set review here is that it is an incredible bargain at ca. $2 per CD. I know that's important to lots of folks (me included) and for those who are perhaps new to these Bach masterpieces, this is a way to get them cheaply.
Without music, life would be a mistake. -- Nietzsche

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Scott on September 19, 2007, 06:38:29 AM
Frankly the reason I put the box-set review here is that it is an incredible bargain at ca. $2 per CD. I know that's important to lots of folks (me included) and for those who are perhaps new to these Bach masterpieces, this is a way to get them cheaply.

When it comes to Bach, monetary issues are of no concern, particularly considering the repertory is already well represented.

DavidW

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on September 19, 2007, 09:19:30 AM
When it comes to Bach, monetary issues are of no concern, particularly considering the repertory is already well represented.

I wanted to highlight that comment.  Because there are so many recordings available for Bach's works, there are also many recordings available for Bach's works at budget price.  Furthermore there are also many great recordings available at bargain price. :)

Tyson

IMO, the Tetzlaff is "good for the money", but the Kirshbaum is great, period.  It pretty much displaces my former favorites of Fournier and Blysma (both sets).  It took me a while to get past the impression that Kirshbaum was not playing with feeling, particularly when compare with my previous favorites, but eventually I grew to appreciate his style, and eventually grew to love it.  It's something of a process that took several years, but at this point I really don't see anything displacing it from the top spot, at least not for me.
At a loss for words.