Your thoughts on 'selected works' CDs?

Started by Mark, September 19, 2007, 01:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

You know the sort: showcases for singers to demonstrate their skill (or otherwise) in a variety of different operatic and non-operatic styles and roles. Firstly, what's your opinion of these, and secondly, which such compilations have most impressed you in recent years (or indeed, ever)?

It would be interesting to hear which CDs switched you on (or off) to talent new and old; and which, if any, made you reappraise singers you'd previously decided you weren't too keen on. Did such snapshots of their talent also encourage you to buy more CDs of their work (showcase discs or whole operas); and did such CDs also convince you to hear a particular singer perform on stage or in recital?

yashin

I think it is great when they produce these for singers who have not had such great exposure on full opera sets.

Ones i have really enjoyed over the years are:

Roberto Alagna - his first disc of arias was terrific and showed his great promise. I especially love his Polyeucte: Source délicieuse.

Giuseppe Giacomini - his 2 opera recital discs show this volcanic voice-maybe caught a bit late but show what a great singer he is. His Otello is superb. 

Yu Qiang Dai - the chinese tenor and his recital disc from a couple of years ago.  It is always on my ipod and i enjoy his voice.  Not sure why they have not produced more of him.

Thomas Allen -his recent disc on Chandos in English. I love his "in visions, illusions" from Die Tote Stadt.

yashin

Switched off?

Cristina Gallardo-Domas - her disc of arias.  After showing great promise on the Il Trittico set with Pappano conducting she had this set of arias.  Awful!!  Weak, tepid singing.  She does not seem to record well.
Her Liu in the Salzburg DVD conducted by Gergeiv is terrible.  I hate her for destroying the beautiful music of Liu!
I was not impressed with her in Butterfly either -the one from Covent Garden.