paulb sighting

Started by Sergeant Rock, April 17, 2007, 01:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Of possible interest to the old-timers here: paulb is alive and well. After a long absence, he has returned to the Gramophone forum. His first post was classic paulb. Discussing Mahler:

"I have made several "attempts" to listen to Mahler with little to no success. Basically I've given up. I think i gave syms 4,5,6 a 5 to 7 minute chance to draw me in, but alas its of no use."

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

lukeottevanger

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 17, 2007, 01:26:13 PM
Of possible interest to the old-times here: paulb is alive and well. After a long absence, he has returned to the Gramophone forum. His first post was classic paulb. Discussing Mahler:

"I have made several "attempts" to listen to Mahler with little to no success. Basically I've given up. I think i gave syms 4,5,6 a 5 to 7 minute chance to draw me in, but alas its of no use."

Sarge

As long as 5 to 7 minutes? That's not paul... ;D

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: lukeottevanger on April 17, 2007, 01:27:37 PM

Give the guy some credit. He has apparently moved beyond the 30 second clip!  ;D

Sarge

BachQ

Quote from: lukeottevanger on April 17, 2007, 01:27:37 PM

Yeah, that can't be Paulb . . . . . . .

Robert

Of possible interest to the old-timers here: paulb is alive and well. After a long absence, he has returned to the Gramophone forum. His first post was classic paulb. Discussing Mahler:

Sarge
Knowing that magazine he will fit in there beautifully, I am sure he will become one of their chief reviewers in no time....

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Robert on April 17, 2007, 02:07:36 PM
Knowing that magazine he will fit in there beautifully, I am sure he will become one of their chief reviewers in no time....

;D :D ;D

Sarge

SonicMan46

!
Discussing Mahler:  "I have made several "attempts" to listen to Mahler with little to no success. Basically I've given up. I think i gave syms 4,5,6 a 5 to 7 minute chance to draw me in, but alas its of no use."

Sarge - LOL -  ;D  Agree w/ a few of the other comments, i.e. usually the 1 min or less 'snippet' of the music was enough to let Paul make up his mind -  ;) :D 

Still remember helping him 'a little' in getting a tiger in color as his last avatar - some might remember him by the pic below -  :)

Edit - 'lion' changed to 'tiger'! Thanks -  :)

Harvested Sorrow

Quote from: SonicMan on April 17, 2007, 03:47:26 PM
Still remember helping him 'a little' in getting a lion in color as his last avatar

That looks more like a tiger to me... :P

SonicMan46

Quote from: Harvested Sorrow on April 17, 2007, 04:13:00 PM
That looks more like a tiger to me... :P

HS - my BAD!  :-[  Wife was calling me for dinner, so was in too much of a hurry -  ::)  Oh yes, no doubt that Paul did indeed have TIGERS for his avatars - you know your CATS!  ;) :D  P.S. Thanks - did an 'edit' to my post -  ;D

Hector

Quote from: Robert on April 17, 2007, 02:07:36 PM

This is the magazine that carried out a detailed review of one movement of a Mahler symphony (the rest will follow in due course) that covered every single disc issued that you are talking about?

Or did they recommend a disc that you bought and hated? Aaaah, sad :'(

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Hector on April 18, 2007, 06:24:30 AM
This is the magazine that carried out a detailed review of one movement of a Mahler symphony (the rest will follow in due course) that covered every single disc issued that you are talking about?

It's not symphony, it's sym.

greg

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on April 18, 2007, 06:26:48 AM
It's not symphony, it's sym.
no, it's sym- be up to date on your classical slang
ex:

homie 1: i jus' listened to Mahler  today
homie 2: which sym
homie 1: Mahler 7
homie 2: oh yeah, sym 7, thatz the tightest one, yo

Siedler

Why all the Gramophone bashing? I like it.  :-\