Author Topic: John Kinsella (born 1932)  (Read 10185 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: John Kinsella (born 1932)
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2021, 12:56:23 PM »
Kinsella: Cello Concerto [Prieto/Prieto]

Well it finally arrived!

I really like this work. It is intense, atmospheric, and emotionally powerful and exciting. I like the relationship between the cello and the orchestra in the first movement. I also like the scoring and the musical language as well as the power and the intensity of the music. Prieto gets a wonderful tone from his instrument particularly in the lower registers. It practically growls. The intensity, drama and excitement are further enhanced with the tempo increase of the second movement. The scoring for the orchestra, which has a greater voice in the second movement, is wonderful in places with singing woodwinds and brass. Prieto plays with great passion and vibrancy throughout. The work is also tautly directed yet allowed to flow with the requisite forward momentum; the work unfolds very naturally. It is a very fine work indeed.
This encourages me to listen to this work again - buried somewhere in my collection.  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
Re: John Kinsella (born 1932)
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2021, 04:22:43 AM »
This encourages me to listen to this work again - buried somewhere in my collection.  ::)

Definitely worth another listen, Jeffrey.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.