Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 20, 2012, 01:56:28 PM
Did I mention that the worse the groan, the more I enjoy it?!?!? :)

I know. I put it there just for you, to fill the space between us. Like steam.

Elgarian

Elgarian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 20, 2012, 06:10:31 PM
Don't forget the Music Makers either. It's a wonderful work.

I sometimes think that when he composed Music Makers, Elgar found a way of transforming nostalgia into high art. It's one of those pieces where you really need to be steeped in Elgar lore to pick up all the subtle resonances (among the not-so-subtle ones). It seems to oscillate somehow (or is that just me?) between the private and the public Elgar, and since I've been listening to Elgar almost all my life, it becomes a kind of contemplation of my own musical journey too.

Elgarian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 20, 2012, 07:14:36 PM
Baker is certainly the most often recommended and it is full of deft touches. But the beauty with songs like this is that every singer brings something different to the table and there are other versions with their own unique details/approach.

Trouble is, Janet Baker's performance is so memorable that if it's the one you hear first, others can seem unsatisfying, merely on the grounds that it doesn't sound like her. I remember listening to Baker's Sea Pictures one warm, bright sunlit morning, on a balcony overlooking the sea; and the experience was so perfect that I've never been able to listen to other versions since without wishing it were Janet. (I'm not advocating this situation as desirable - just describing the effect.)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on December 21, 2012, 01:21:36 AM
Remind me - who are you, again?

Hang on, it's around here, somewhere.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on December 21, 2012, 01:43:17 AM
Trouble is, Janet Baker's performance is so memorable that if it's the one you hear first, others can seem unsatisfying, merely on the grounds that it doesn't sound like her. I remember listening to Baker's Sea Pictures one warm, bright sunlit morning, on a balcony overlooking the sea; and the experience was so perfect that I've never been able to listen to other versions since without wishing it were Janet. (I'm not advocating this situation as desirable - just describing the effect.)

Spot on, yet again — both the description (appropriately evocative) and in questioning the desirability of the result.

If non-advocacy can be a form of posing a question . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: North Star on December 20, 2012, 01:32:24 PM(ja kiva että oot selvinny ehjänä etelän keleissä autoillessa jalojen juomien kanssa)

Joo, kyllä otti koville toimittaa pari tusinaa pulloa ympäri pääkaupunkiseutua. Ensin julkisilla maanantaina ihan keskustassa, sitten ti-to autolla muihin paikkoihin ja tänään viimeinen puteli viereiseen taloon talonmiehelle. Autoa kun ei saa oven eteen tai ensikertaa paikalla tullessa ei edes tiedä missä se ovi oikeastaan on niin auton jättää johonkin. Siinä sitten kertyy kummasti metrejä sohjossa kävellen. Kyllä näissä hommissa pitäisi käyttää jotain Alkon omia palveluita mutta meikäläinen on sellaisessa firmassa, jossa harrastetaan "sisäistystä" eli ulkoistuksen vastakohtaa älyttömyyksiin saakka. No, eipähän työt lopu kesken...

Non-Finnish speaking people can test online translators with this irrelevant outburst.  :D

Quote from: North Star on December 20, 2012, 01:32:24 PMThe most extreme temperature I've saunaed in was about 150 deg. Celsius - after my brother had warmed the kiuas (sauna stove) for us at my grandparents'. We had to throw a lot more water on the bench than on the sauna stones.

That's beyond extreme. Once when I was young I warmed a sauna with too much enthusiasm and my father checked if sauna was hot enough. Well, the thermometer said it was 140 degrees Celsius and my father came back very upset. We kept doors open and waited until the tempature dropped below 100 degrees before going in. Luckily the summer cottage didn't burn down...  ;D

Quote from: North Star on December 20, 2012, 01:32:24 PMBut surely the more extreme experience was close to the Norwegian border for me, too - swimming in a 0 deg C (there were ice crystals on the surface of the water) lake Kilpisjärvi between saunaing.

The water was maybe 10 degrees when I swan in Tenojoki. It was summertime.

Quote from: North Star on December 20, 2012, 01:32:24 PMWe've found that it's much better when the temperature is at around 80 deg C, and we have the window open when we aren't there, so the air is really humid and oxygen-rich, too. And you can sauna longer, because of the less excessive heat.

It depends on the type of a sauna what is optimum temperature. The floor of the sauna in my house has very good thermal insulation. The lower parts of the steam room are warm and 80 degrees feels pretty hot already (because even feet are in warm air). A sauna with cold floor needs higher temperature.

Quote from: North Star on December 20, 2012, 01:32:24 PMSauna is definitely the best place to socialize with friends, preferably with a beer or three - I don't think anything could be more relaxing.

Yes. Also, everyone are equal (naked) in sauna. Badges of honour are left to dressing room.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 20, 2012, 06:03:42 PM
They sounded pretty darn good to me, Pujo (this is your name correct?). You can call me, John. Anyway, yes, I'm really hoping to get The Kingdom with Mark Elder, but also the new The Apostles recording (comes out in January). Really excited to listen to all the recordings I have coming so far! What's your favorite purely orchestral work by Elgar?

Actually it's Poju (pujo means mugwort, "Artemisia vulgaris" in Finnish). Nice to hear you liking these two works John. I'd like to have Elder's recordings too but these are pretty expensive discs. I suppose they are very good. You have bought tons of Elgar so you have a lot to enjoy!

My favorite purely orchestral work by Elgar? Symphony No. 2!

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 20, 2012, 06:06:33 PM
Then they don't know their history. As we all know, Elgar composed very little after the death of his wife. I think he had plenty of steam, but he put his energies into conducting and eventually recording. I would like to pick up those electrical recording at some point just to have some historical references of the man himself conducting his own music.

In 1930's Elgar started to compose with new energy (The Third Symphony, Piano Concerto and opera Spanish Lady) but then Elgar's health started to decline due to cancer and all of these works stayed unfinished until recently "completed" by other composers except the opera.

71 dB

Elgar's minor works can be surprisingly delightful. A week or so ago I listened to Scenes from the Bavarian Highlands (Naxos 8.570541). This work seems like a simple and forgettable piece for choir and piano but it is actually very entertaining in my opinion. I really like the piano part in the last part, "The Marksmen". Also, the choir and piano seems to play with each other wonderfully throughout the whole work.

North Star

So, what Elgar do I need, beside Du Pré / Baker in CC and Sea Pictures, and Znaider's VC? Box sets and single discs are fine. Perhaps the EMI box set?

Quote from: 71 dB on December 21, 2012, 09:36:51 AM
Joo, kyllä otti koville toimittaa pari tusinaa pulloa ympäri pääkaupunkiseutua. Ensin julkisilla maanantaina ihan keskustassa, sitten ti-to autolla muihin paikkoihin ja tänään viimeinen puteli viereiseen taloon talonmiehelle. Autoa kun ei saa oven eteen tai ensikertaa paikalla tullessa ei edes tiedä missä se ovi oikeastaan on niin auton jättää johonkin. Siinä sitten kertyy kummasti metrejä sohjossa kävellen. Kyllä näissä hommissa pitäisi käyttää jotain Alkon omia palveluita mutta meikäläinen on sellaisessa firmassa, jossa harrastetaan "sisäistystä" eli ulkoistuksen vastakohtaa älyttömyyksiin saakka. No, eipähän työt lopu kesken...

Non-Finnish speaking people can test online translators with this irrelevant outburst.  :D
Juu!  ;D

Quote from: 71 dB on December 21, 2012, 09:36:51 AM
That's beyond extreme. Once when I was young I warmed a sauna with too much enthusiasm and my father checked if sauna was hot enough. Well, the thermometer said it was 140 degrees Celsius and my father came back very upset. We kept doors open and waited until the tempature dropped below 100 degrees before going in. Luckily the summer cottage didn't burn down...  ;D

The water was maybe 10 degrees when I swan in Tenojoki. It was summertime.

It depends on the type of a sauna what is optimum temperature. The floor of the sauna in my house has very good thermal insulation. The lower parts of the steam room are warm and 80 degrees feels pretty hot already (because even feet are in warm air). A sauna with cold floor needs higher temperature.

Yes. Also, everyone are equal (naked) in sauna. Badges of honour are left to dressing room.

Agreed.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Definitely want the violin sonata.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on December 21, 2012, 11:05:45 AM
I've read that from you before, Karl, and I even have a Youtube video in the bookmarks panel of my browser, should get to it...
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Brian

Quote from: 71 dB on December 21, 2012, 10:19:59 AM
Elgar's minor works can be surprisingly delightful. A week or so ago I listened to Scenes from the Bavarian Highlands (Naxos 8.570541). This work seems like a simple and forgettable piece for choir and piano but it is actually very entertaining in my opinion. I really like the piano part in the last part, "The Marksmen". Also, the choir and piano seems to play with each other wonderfully throughout the whole work.

There's also an orchestral version, which I posted about a couple days ago:

Quote from: Brian on December 18, 2012, 09:29:52 AM
I saw Vasily Petrenko conduct "Scenes from the Bavarian Highlands" live in Liverpool. Very amusing piece, really - all drinking songs and machismo and somewhat comical caricature. A lot of fun in concert, not sure how often I'd play it on CD. (He also did the Second Symphony; it was the first time I'd ever heard either piece.)

mc ukrneal

I finally decided to just get the third Spirit of England with Felicity Lott. It may not come until sometime in January, but it will be interesting to compare this 'new' version against the other two.
[asin]B000005GSB[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on December 21, 2012, 09:50:20 AM
Actually it's Poju (pujo means mugwort, "Artemisia vulgaris" in Finnish). Nice to hear you liking these two works John. I'd like to have Elder's recordings too but these are pretty expensive discs. I suppose they are very good. You have bought tons of Elgar so you have a lot to enjoy!

My favorite purely orchestral work by Elgar? Symphony No. 2!

My apologies. I had the "o" and "u" mixed up! :-[ Thanks, yes, I have quite a lot of Elgar on the way, but I already had a good many Elgar recordings before these purchases. I'm only "adding to the pile" now. :D I actually like A LOT of Elgar's music. Most of it I've heard actually with exception of the first Pomp & Circumstance march. My favorite of the five is No. 3. Anyway, these works are like Shostakovich's propaganda works, they don't fully represent what the composer is capable of doing, but they're still fun to listen to nonetheless.

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on December 21, 2012, 11:05:45 AM

Will be listening to this one when I receive the Nash Ensemble disc on Hyperion.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on December 21, 2012, 10:19:59 AM
Elgar's minor works can be surprisingly delightful.

I agree, Poju. Listened to Dream Children before heading off to work this morning and really enjoyed it. A very short work, but if it was any longer it just wouldn't be the same. Another "minor" work by Elgar I love is Elegy. Absolutely beautiful, but all these miniature works are masterfully crafted and contain wonderful melodies.

Elgarian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 21, 2012, 06:10:10 PM
I finally decided to just get the third Spirit of England with Felicity Lott. It may not come until sometime in January, but it will be interesting to compare this 'new' version against the other two.
[asin]B000005GSB[/asin]

The whole story of the differences, for me, is flagged up in the first entry of the soprano: 'Spirit of England go before us'. Lott sings beautifully enough, but listening to her, then to Cahill, is like comparing a map of England to actually being there.

Elgarian

Quote from: North Star on December 21, 2012, 11:00:50 AMSo, what Elgar do I need, beside Du Pré / Baker in CC and Sea Pictures, and Znaider's VC? Box sets and single discs are fine.

In addition to Boult and Barbirolli's boxed sets of the major works, I couldn't possibly manage without:

1. The Spirit of England (Cahill/Gibson)

2. Pierre Monteux's Enigma Variations - unbelievably fine.

3. All the chamber music (Violin sonata, string quartet, piano quintet). You can get all of these in fine performances, plus the superb performance by Hugh Bean of the violin concerto, on this two-CD set:

4. The complete set of Elgar's own (electrical) recordings - a great bargain, this box: