Author Topic: Elgar's Hillside  (Read 264160 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Re: Elgar's Hillside
« Reply #3300 on: May 23, 2020, 03:11:08 AM »
Tonight, should you wish:

On Saturday at 8PM Chowder Time, WCRB rebroadcasts a BSO concert including the Elgar Cello Concertohttps://www.classicalwcrb.org/#stream/0
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #3301 on: May 23, 2020, 02:01:09 PM »
Tonight, should you wish:

The cellist is Truls Mørk
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #3302 on: May 23, 2020, 04:05:56 PM »
Fellow Elgarians: What do you consider to be the darkest recording of the 2nd Symphony? One that really brings out the work’s darker undercurrents? I’m looking for a recording that delivers utmost mysteriousness in the second (“ghost”) theme of the first movement, tragic nobility in the slow movement, ferocity in the scherzo (the climax needs to be shattering!!), and nostalgic summing-up in the finale. BTW I’m not very interested in “historical” recordings, no matter the merits of the interpretation.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:07:50 PM by kyjo »
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Martinů, Dvořák, Sibelius, Nielsen, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Langgaard, Copland, Barber, W. Schuman, Bernstein, Rouse, Vaughan Williams, Alwyn, Arnold, Walton
« Reply #3303 on: May 23, 2020, 04:12:14 PM »
Fellow Elgarians: What do you consider to be the darkest recording of the 2nd Symphony? One that really brings out the work’s darker undercurrents? I’m looking for a recording that delivers utmost mysteriousness in the second (“ghost”) theme of the first movement, tragic nobility in the slow movement, ferocity in the scherzo (the climax needs to be shattering!!), and nostalgic summing-up in the finale. BTW I’m not very interested in “historical” recordings, no matter the merits of the interpretation.

For the qualities in which you speak of, I’d say Andrew Davis’ Philharmonia live recording. This one:

“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #3304 on: May 23, 2020, 04:15:56 PM »
For the qualities in which you speak of, I’d say Andrew Davis’ Philharmonia live recording. This one:

Thanks John, I’ll check it out! Just today I was listening to Edward Gardner’s recent recording with the BBCSO on Chandos which I enjoyed very much - it’s immaculately played and recorded - but perhaps a bit too “smooth” and not always bringing out some of the more visceral aspects of the score.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Martinů, Dvořák, Sibelius, Nielsen, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Langgaard, Copland, Barber, W. Schuman, Bernstein, Rouse, Vaughan Williams, Alwyn, Arnold, Walton
« Reply #3305 on: May 23, 2020, 04:20:22 PM »
Thanks John, I’ll check it out! Just today I was listening to Edward Gardner’s recent recording with the BBCSO on Chandos which I enjoyed very much - it’s immaculately played and recorded - but perhaps a bit too “smooth” and not always bringing out some of the more visceral aspects of the score.

You’re welcome, Kyle. I personally like my Elgar more on the rougher side. Andrew Davis and Mark Elder are usually my go-to Elgarians, but I do like Boult a lot as well.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #3306 on: Today at 03:32:35 AM »

My feeling with most of Gardner's recordings is that the ear is seduced by the sheer quality of the recording and playing but strip that away and they are unexceptional interpretations.  Nothing to offend by any means but little to engross....

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #3307 on: Today at 04:30:11 AM »
Fellow Elgarians: What do you consider to be the darkest recording of the 2nd Symphony?

With the proviso that we all tend to hear things differently, I suggest giving Sinopoli a try. I think it quite dark, slow and brooding.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #3308 on: Today at 04:53:45 AM »
With the proviso that we all tend to hear things differently, I suggest giving Sinopoli a try. I think it quite dark, slow and brooding.

Sarge
+1, was about to suggest Sinopoli for brooding.

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • politically incorrect = pi = 3.141592654...
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3309 on: Today at 07:59:39 AM »
I can't participate much because I am not good at this. I just can't tell what is dark or light or whatever. I am not someone who remembers 1000 parameters of a given performance in case some asks something. I just like or I don't like and most of the time I don't even know why! Sometimes is because I am in the mood. So it's me, not the recording itself.

It's always been like this. I am different. For me cover art of the CD can be very important because it helps me with the mood. Bad cover art = bad mood = no enjoyment.  ;D

I have hardly anything to say.

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW track "Ecclesiastical Secularism"

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #3310 on: Today at 08:55:41 AM »
I have hardly anything to say.

Then the best decision would be to not say anything at all.