Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 30, 2016, 05:34:21 AM
I've never been wowed by a Hickox Elgar performance and I've all of the works you mentioned above. Caractacus is a work I seldom listen to as I don't think it's that great of a work and the same goes for The Black Knight and The Banner of St. George.

I don't get this "I only care about the 10-15 greatest works by Elgar" -mentality. I think Caractacus is very underrated work.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on April 30, 2016, 08:17:01 AM
I don't get this "I only care about the 10-15 greatest works by Elgar" -mentality. I think Caractacus is very underrated work.

It's really not for you to get or understand. It's simply me telling you I don't care for those afore mentioned works. I find them unmemorable and not worth my time to revisit despite whatever merit you may find in them. I'm not shutting myself off to them because I think they're 'bad' music, but not everything a composer, even one I love as much as Elgar, is worth my time. Maybe my opinion will change somewhere down the road, but that's a road I'm not too concerned with at the moment.

This said, there are a lot of works by Elgar (one of my absolute favorite composers) that I do love that don't get much mention and those are the lighter works like Nursery Suite and The Wand Of Youth Suites for example. One of the most incredible works he penned was The Spirit of England. Again, this is a work that doesn't get talked about much, but is well-known to us Elgarians.

71 dB

I have revisited recently Elder's Gerontius, The Apostles and The Kingdom. Initially these performances left me a bit cold except Gerontius. I feld I have warmed up to these a bit now, but still I feel Boult's The Apostles and The Kingdom are superior. Elder's Gerontius is more successful and is probably the best Gerontius I have.

71 dB

Not much activity on hillside...  ::)

This looks interesting:

[asin]B01HO8DUE8[/asin]

Leo K.

Quote from: 71 dB on December 13, 2016, 04:22:24 PM
Not much activity on hillside...  ::)

This looks interesting:

[asin]B01HO8DUE8[/asin]

I've heard amazing responses from listeners about this set. I can't wait to get it. Aces!

Leo K.

I'm listening to the Wand of Youth this morning from this set. This set is truly a gift that keeps on giving. Isn't it really amazing we have these recordings?

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

71 dB

Quote from: Leo K. on December 14, 2016, 03:17:01 AM

I'm listening to the Wand of Youth this morning from this set. This set is truly a gift that keeps on giving. Isn't it really amazing we have these recordings?
I don't have much "Elgar conducts Elgar" stuff. I have:

[asin]B000XHALAE[/asin]
[asin]B000026C8A[/asin]
[asin]B000BK53BK[/asin]

+ What's the EMI 30 CD boxset.

What is intetesting is why other composers of Elgar's time didn't do the same?

TheGSMoeller

Perhaps a bit controversial, but this is one of the best 2nd's I've listened to. Top 2 for sure. The synergy between conductor and the Staatskapelle Berlin is great, and Barenboim's interpretation, although could easily be seen as unconventional, I find to successfully explore and deliver a unique offering of how Elgar can be performed. The real challenge here is Barenboim, who in his later age seems to become more adventurous with well-known repertoire (similar to his recent Bruckner 7th with the same group, another one worth checking into), but this adventure works. Elgar's 2nd is a masterpiece, and is filled with many lovely, lyrical and fervent moments, and Barenboim is never afraid to enhance these moments with an extra dynamic or tempo adjustment. I've never heard a final movement quite like this one, its never dull and constantly building and moving towards its goal, ending on a sedated, hushed coda that is a perfect reflection of the previous 50 minutes. I really love this recording.
I used to always look at Sinopoli as my go-to for Elgar's 2nd, his broad approach appealed to me, but now seems quite monotonous in comparison to Barenboim/Berlin. Put it alongside Solti/LPO, Oramo/Stockholm and Barbirolli/Halle and you'll have a great assortment of flavor for this grand piece.

[asin]B00ITUVDZ4[/asin]

Mirror Image

Welcome back, Greg! Personally, I don't think much of Barenboim's conducting, so I can't say I have much interest in that Elgar 2nd recording.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 08, 2017, 06:45:49 PM
Welcome back, Greg! Personally, I don't think much of Barenboim's conducting, so I can't say I have much interest in that Elgar 2nd recording.

Howdy, John.  :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 08, 2017, 06:20:09 PM
Perhaps a bit controversial, but this is one of the best 2nd's I've listened to. Top 2 for sure. The synergy between conductor and the Staatskapelle Berlin is great, and Barenboim's interpretation, although could easily be seen as unconventional, I find to successfully explore and deliver a unique offering of how Elgar can be performed. The real challenge here is Barenboim, who in his later age seems to become more adventurous with well-known repertoire (similar to his recent Bruckner 7th with the same group, another one worth checking into), but this adventure works. Elgar's 2nd is a masterpiece, and is filled with many lovely, lyrical and fervent moments, and Barenboim is never afraid to enhance these moments with an extra dynamic or tempo adjustment. I've never heard a final movement quite like this one, its never dull and constantly building and moving towards its goal, ending on a sedated, hushed coda that is a perfect reflection of the previous 50 minutes. I really love this recording.
I used to always look at Sinopoli as my go-to for Elgar's 2nd, his broad approach appealed to me, but now seems quite monotonous in comparison to Barenboim/Berlin. Put it alongside Solti/LPO, Oramo/Stockholm and Barbirolli/Halle and you'll have a great assortment of flavor for this grand piece.

Most interesting, of course. The timing of your post (apart from the fact that anytime you hang out here is a happy occasion) is fortuitous ... I've had the Sinopoli around for a couple of years, but have I listened to it? I was gearing up to address that shameful neglect, by loading it onto the flying flash drive, so voilà! I listened to the first movement this evening. Gosh, I love it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 09, 2017, 06:06:25 PM
I've had the Sinopoli around for a couple of years, but have I listened to it? I was gearing up to address that shameful neglect, by loading it onto the flying flash drive, so voilà! I listened to the first movement this evening. Gosh, I love it.

It's been many many years since I heard Sinopoli and if my memory serves me well it was a weird experience.  ???

Leo K.

[asin]B00ITUVDZ4[/asin]

I agree on all counts and the Barenboim Elgar 2nd
Is at the top of my favorites right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

71 dB

[asin]B00ITUVDZ4[/asin]

Just listened to this on Spotify. Barenboim does pretty well, but not extraordinarily well. People say the tempi are so good. Okay, they are pretty good. The problem of this recording is the sound. I have never been a fan of "Decca sound". The upper bass is boomy as hell, the lower bass sounds lacking in comparison and all the egdes and transients of the sound have been rounded soft. High frequences never hit your ears as they should. Somehow the orchestra sounds small, as if it was a chamber orchestra. The result is very unrealistic, as if I was standing inside a phone booth inside the concert hall listening to the orchestra. I don't understand what is wrong with Decca's sound engineers. It's not 1960s anymore!

My go-to recording of this masterpiece is Edward Downes on Naxos. Not because it's Naxos and I am a "Naxos guy", but because it simply is a near-perfect performance without any problems. Tempi are great, sound is good and balanced. Downes really gets Elgar imo. I am not the only one praising this performance, and it's dirt cheap when bought used.  :)

I also like Elder/Hallé and Boult is always good with Elgar.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: 71 dB on May 08, 2017, 08:32:29 AM
Just listened to this on Spotify. Barenboim does pretty well, but not extraordinarily well. People say the tempi are so good. Okay, they are pretty good. The problem of this recording is the sound. I have never been a fan of "Decca sound". The upper bass is boomy as hell, the lower bass sounds lacking in comparison and all the egdes and transients of the sound have been rounded soft. High frequences never hit your ears as they should. Somehow the orchestra sounds small, as if it was a chamber orchestra. The result is very unrealistic, as if I was standing inside a phone booth inside the concert hall listening to the orchestra. I don't understand what is wrong with Decca's sound engineers. It's not 1960s anymore!

My go-to recording of this masterpiece is Edward Downes on Naxos. Not because it's Naxos and I am a "Naxos guy", but because it simply is a near-perfect performance without any problems. Tempi are great, sound is good and balanced. Downes really gets Elgar imo. I am not the only one praising this performance, and it's dirt cheap when bought used.  :)

I also like Elder/Hallé and Boult is always good with Elgar.

Elder and Boult are good, I agree. Thanks for your post, 71db!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Leo K. on May 08, 2017, 04:29:25 AM
I agree on all counts and the Barenboim Elgar 2nd
Is at the top of my favorites right now.

+1  8)

amw

[asin]B00ITUVDZ4[/asin]
I just listened to this and I feel like I somehow "get" the symphony now. Not sure what's unconventional about the interpretation since I don't have much comparison (I have the Hickox cycle, only ever ventured further afield for Norrington's 1st) and I wasn't listening for details, but at least in terms of broader sweep and big picture, this strikes me as a very satisfying reading, probably more so than any other I've heard.