Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hector

Quote from: Mark on October 23, 2007, 04:43:54 AM
It's got a decent write-up. They say she tries not to be like Du Pre, but actually comes off a little like her in places.

It was the thought of her playing dressed in her leather gear.

Ride 'em, Natalie.

longears

Quote from: Wurstwasser on November 26, 2007, 10:45:13 PM
Got this from our local library and just stumbled across:

Sospiri / op.70: Adagio for Strings, Harp and Organ
Wiener Philharmoniker/Gardiner.

OH THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL! Even more than that. I love it from the very beginning.
Yep--haven't heard Gardiner's recording but this is absolutely beautiful music.  You might also like his Introduction and Allegro and Elegy for strings.

Hector

Quote from: Mark on October 23, 2007, 04:43:54 AM
It's got a decent write-up. They say she tries not to be like Du Pre, but actually comes off a little like her in places.

Seriously, though, putting her dress aside, she is certainly an antidote to Du Pre as far as I am concerned.

An intellectual performance that, initially, comes across as low-key but begs you to listen again. It is not often you get the feeling from a recording that this was made with home listening in mind, as I did. I see some have commented on the underlying darkness in the reading which is what is expected, surely, of this work written in the wake of the human catastrophe that preceded it.

If you think Du Pre is the 'Dogs Bollocks' in this piece then Clein will offer no appeal. I find her performance growing on me and I haven't had a recording of this work since I sold Tortelier/Boult on LP years ago.

karlhenning

Quote from: Hector on November 30, 2007, 06:45:32 AM
. . . the 'Dogs Bollocks' in this piece

Do I understand you to mean that that's a good thing?

karlhenning

And for a frank tangent . . . my introduction to Mark Elder is this wonderful disc of Falstaff, the Cello Concerto, Bassoon Romance and the stumpy bits of the Smoking Cantata;  he is coming to Boston as a guest to conduct the BSO in Sibelius (with Vadim Repin playing the Violin Concerto) and the Shostakovich Fourth.  Really looking forwad to that 'un.

Mark

Quote from: Hector on November 30, 2007, 06:45:32 AM
Seriously, though, putting her dress aside, she is certainly an antidote to Du Pre as far as I am concerned.

An intellectual performance that, initially, comes across as low-key but begs you to listen again. It is not often you get the feeling from a recording that this was made with home listening in mind, as I did. I see some have commented on the underlying darkness in the reading which is what is expected, surely, of this work written in the wake of the human catastrophe that preceded it.

If you think Du Pre is the 'Dogs Bollocks' in this piece then Clein will offer no appeal. I find her performance growing on me and I haven't had a recording of this work since I sold Tortelier/Boult on LP years ago.

May I suggest another 'antidote' to Du Pre (whom, for the record, I do consider the 'mutt's nuts' in this work)? Try Robert Cohen with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra under Mackerras on Decca (or Argo, if you can find it).

not edward

Quote from: Mark on November 30, 2007, 01:36:27 PM
May I suggest another 'antidote' to Du Pre (whom, for the record, I do consider the 'mutt's nuts' in this work)? Try Robert Cohen with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra under Mackerras on Decca (or Argo, if you can find it).
Another good antidote: Pieter Wispelwey on Channel Classics (which comes with an excellent Lutoslawski concerto as well).
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Israfel the Black

Du Pre is the benchmark, but I think Tortelier's reading of the Cello Concerto is as good as any.

Mark

Quote from: edward on November 30, 2007, 07:05:10 PM
Another good antidote: Pieter Wispelwey on Channel Classics (which comes with an excellent Lutoslawski concerto as well).

Might download that next month. Cheers! :)

longears

Quote from: Israfel the Black on November 30, 2007, 10:31:46 PM
Tortelier's reading of the Cello Concerto is as good as any.
And better than most.  I bought the Angel LP unheard after a glowing review back in about '74 and damned near wore it out!

Welcome to GMG, Izzy! 

Hector

Quote from: Israfel the Black on November 30, 2007, 10:31:46 PM
Du Pre is the benchmark, but I think Tortelier's reading of the Cello Concerto is as good as any.

I had Tortelier on LP having had the good fortune to witness the great Frenchman play it at one time.

Wispelwey is, also, excellent and I do not know the Cohen but Watkins' Proms performance has just been made available for download by DG if anybody is interested.

This weekend there were some favourable comments about the Clein. Could be a 'sleeper.'

Yes, you cannot get anything better than the 'dogs bollocks'! ;D

71 dB

Elgar year is almost over...  :P

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

karlhenning

Well, you cannot really fault the BSO for performing Gerontius in 2008 . . . .

Bonehelm

Quote from: 71 dB on December 31, 2007, 05:38:53 AM
Elgar year is almost over...  :P

Have you ever heard of "everyday is a valentines day with a true lover" ?

greg

Quote from: 復活交響曲 on January 01, 2008, 12:05:46 PM
Have you ever heard of "everyday is a valentines day with a true lover" ?
i haven't, though i suppose the true lover must be oneself, since you are the only person who understands yourself.

samuel

which du pre recording of the cello concerto do you prefer, barenboim or barbirolli?

and what is your favorite recording of the violin concerto?

Bonehelm

Quote from: Samuel on February 06, 2008, 01:35:27 PM
which du pre recording of the cello concerto do you prefer, barenboim or barbirolli?

For the CC, if you ask 10 people, 10 of them will tell you to go with Barbriolli.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Samuel on February 06, 2008, 01:35:27 PM

Haven't heard it yet myself, but I've been hearing a lot of good things about the Ehnes/Davies.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Nande ya nen? on February 06, 2008, 06:52:27 PM
For the CC, if you ask 10 people, 10 of them will tell you to go with Barbriolli.
Barbriolli? Never heard of him. Sounds Italian, didn't know Jacky recorded anything with an Italian conductor.

Bonehelm

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on February 06, 2008, 07:08:44 PM
Barbriolli? Never heard of him. Sounds Italian, didn't know Jacky recorded anything with an Italian conductor.

YOU NEVER HEARD OF JOHN BARBRIOLLI?

omg...the man has a lot of legendary recordings on EMI...like Mahler 9 for example...