Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarpia

Quote from: 71 dB on February 22, 2011, 11:14:20 AM
Why are you so worried about my purchases? If I don't get a deal good enough I don't simply buy. That's what all people do all the time.

I'm just saying, do you want it for the cheapest price you can get it, or do you want it only if it is that cheap?  It you want it for the cheapest price you can get it I'd advise you to get it now.  If you want it only if it is that cheap, that's fine too.  But since you are a self-described Elgar fanatic, who should have the set if you don't?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on February 22, 2011, 11:48:31 AM
I'm just saying, do you want it for the cheapest price you can get it, or do you want it only if it is that cheap?  It you want it for the cheapest price you can get it I'd advise you to get it now.  If you want it only if it is that cheap, that's fine too.  But since you are a self-described Elgar fanatic, who should have the set if you don't?

You would think somebody who is an Elgar fanatic would own most of his recordings, but apparently this isn't the case with this poster.

karlhenning

And from this senator's standpoint, $45 is a reasonably attractive price point for a 30-disc box.

71 dB

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on February 22, 2011, 11:48:31 AM

What I want is to be rich. Unfortunately that isn't an option because I am either talented nor lucky. So, I try to optimize my purchases so that I can get as much as possible those things I want. Not buying expensive Elgar makes it possible to buy other things I like.

Self-described Elgar fanatic? I don't think so. Having a favorite composer makes nobody a fanatic...

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 22, 2011, 12:56:51 PM
You would think somebody who is an Elgar fanatic would own most of his recordings, but apparently this isn't the case with this poster.

See above. Am I really that fanatic about Elgar? Besides, I own about half of the box already. If I didn't have any recordings of the box I would have bought it ages ago.   ;)

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 22, 2011, 12:59:53 PM
And from this senator's standpoint, $45 is a reasonably attractive price point for a 30-disc box.

Yes, but who buys 30-disc boxes nonchalantly?

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 22, 2011, 11:08:38 AM
There is a MP france seller for EUR 34. $45 is close to EUR 33. In any case, it won't go down until you buy it - that's when they will have the sale! Never fails for me!  ;)

Thanks for the hint! I have just ordered the boxset from Amazon.fr MP for 33.95€ + 3.40€ for shipping.  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Scarpia

Quote from: 71 dB on February 23, 2011, 06:12:27 AM
What I want is to be rich. Unfortunately that isn't an option because I am either talented nor lucky. So, I try to optimize my purchases so that I can get as much as possible those things I want. Not buying expensive Elgar makes it possible to buy other things I like.

Self-described Elgar fanatic? I don't think so. Having a favorite composer makes nobody a fanatic...

Good to hear you've come to your senses and acknowledge that Elgar is a minor composer.   ;D

Mirror Image

Thought I would revive this thread...

I really enjoy Elgar's music, but I do not love it, which I guess is only natural as I can't love everything nor can anyone else. Maybe I should ask this question: how do we know we love a composer's music or not? How do we separate liking and loving something? Like, for example, I love Bruckner's music, but I only like Mahler's music, how does one reconcile these differences?

abidoful

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 16, 2011, 09:41:41 PM

I really enjoy Elgar's music, but I do not love it, which I guess is only natural as I can't love everything nor can anyone else. Maybe I should ask this question: how do we know we love a composer's music or not? How do we separate liking and loving something? Like, for example, I love Bruckner's music, but I only like Mahler's music, how does one reconcile these differences?
I don't know but its only naturala I think. Especially with Mahler versus Bruckner; I have the same thing with those.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 16, 2011, 09:41:41 PM

That's something for your dormant soulmate thread...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

eyeresist

Quote from: abidoful on May 16, 2011, 11:16:30 PM
I don't know but its only naturala I think. Especially with Mahler versus Bruckner; I have the same thing with those.

Mahler is too clever. He's the smartest boy in the class, and he knows it. But I do quite like him!

Scarpia

Quote from: eyeresist on May 16, 2011, 11:53:46 PM
Mahler is too clever. He's the smartest boy in the class, and he knows it. But I do quite like him!

I generally agree, Mahler is a showman.  Bruckner could not have written any other way, as evidenced by the fact that all of his symphonies sound alike.   :P

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 16, 2011, 09:41:41 PMHow do we know we love a composer's music or not? How do we separate liking and loving something?

In my case I can tell by how many recordings I own of any single work. One or two=like. Three to Six=crush. Seven to ten=love.  ;D
As many as possible, expense be damned=soulmate  0:)  Mahler, Sibelius, Wagner, Bruckner occupy the last category.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

DavidW

MI if you find yourself listening to the same composer years later, despite knowing every note it's love.  If you've moved on, it was mere infatuation. ;D

abidoful

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 16, 2011, 11:56:14 PM
I generally agree, Mahler is a showman.  Bruckner could not have written any other way, as evidenced by the fact that all of his symphonies sound alike.   :P
I think Mahler is "modern"- and I don't mean a musical style but an attitude or a character- in the sense that he's always busy. He has lots of impressions and is quick to share them. With Bruckner i have a feeling of a fine old wine, it has had time to grow and mature.

Basically Mahler lacks debth. But I really don't want to say that becouse that's who he is, and what he sought after apparently. Still, Mahler was a great musician and a greta composer anyway. Just that I dont relate to him or his music doesn't give me what I look from music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: haydnfan on May 17, 2011, 06:44:33 AM
MI if you find yourself listening to the same composer years later, despite knowing every note it's love.  If you've moved on, it was mere infatuation. ;D

In that case, Ravel, Bartok, Bruckner, Vaughan Williams, Berg, Stravinsky, and Villa-Lobos fills that bill quite nicely. :)

eyeresist

I feel bad about Sibelius. I have a number of sets of the symphonies, and still like the music, but I have the feeling there's nothing more to be mined from the listening experience, whereas others keep me coming back for more.

Scarpia

Quote from: eyeresist on May 18, 2011, 06:45:11 PM
I feel bad about Sibelius. I have a number of sets of the symphonies, and still like the music, but I have the feeling there's nothing more to be mined from the listening experience, whereas others keep me coming back for more.

I have just the opposite reaction, at least from late Sibelius. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 18, 2011, 06:48:38 PM
I have just the opposite reaction, at least from late Sibelius.

Yes, I can listen to Sibelius' 7th and Tapiola and just marvel at the tapestry of sound being pummeled at me. Hell, I think Sibelius' 4th is a masterpiece too. Not later Sibelius, but a fine work that never gets old or even familiar.

Scarpia

This is the Elgar thread?

Mirror Image

mc ukrneal

I finally listened to this Elgar piece for the first time:
[asin]B000JLPNO8[/asin]
The Spirit of England is by Elgar and what a remarkable piece. Is anyone else familiar with it? The first part seems uplifting, but quickly makes way for sadder music in the second part - occassionally devastating in tone/atmosphere. The third part is titled 'For the Fallen' and mixes it up, but you are never far from the fact that this is a wartime piece. My understanding is that 'Spirit' is a sort of requiem, using three of Laurence Binyon's poems. Very well performed it is too. The singing is moving and well balanced with the orchestra.

Be kind to your fellow posters!!