Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on July 22, 2012, 11:57:53 AM
You've listened to some Bippett, then?

Oh yes. Belius and Binzi, too. Not to mention Burcell. It's quite amazing how many there are, once you start looking for them.

TheGSMoeller

Just trying to piss Jens off?

Is Barenboim's Elgar symphonies on disc?

jlaurson

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 22, 2012, 02:02:12 PM

Is Barenboim's Elgar symphonies on disc?

follow the links

Quote from: jlaurson on July 22, 2012, 05:28:26 AM
I find myself averse to Solti's Elgar -- but I can take Barenboim's very well.

Sy.1:Barenboim

Sy.2: Barenboim

TheGSMoeller

Oh those all too obvious links...truth be told being partially colorblind helps to hide those from me sometimes.

Thank you, Jens.

eyeresist

Quote from: Elgarian on July 22, 2012, 12:27:50 PMOh yes. Belius and Binzi, too. Not to mention Burcell. It's quite amazing how many there are, once you start looking for them.

Belgar, Bolst and Baughan Billiams.

Fafner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 22, 2012, 05:26:09 AM
Although I have favorite performances, I could be happy with any of the twentysome versions (of 1 & 2) I own. The music is superb, and everyone does it proud. One thing I look for in the First is whether the struggle for the Nobilmente theme to gain ascendancy in the last movement is fought on an epic scale, the struggle palpable. More than the others, Slatkin, Previn and Boult (EMI) make me feel there's a real battle going on here. (I don't remember who recommended Slatkin last year, but thank you: you were right on  8) Glorious performance with a blistering Scherzo.)

With the Second I like a performance that takes me into the abyss and I've found the slower the journey the darker the journey (with the exception of Svetlanov whose first movement ride even outpaces Elgar own performance...it's wild and compelling). Sinopoli's "Brucknerian" pacing is ideal.

Boult's live performance with the BBC I haven't heard yet. I bought it several months ago but then promptly lost it in one of my many piles of CDs that are begging for shelf space. I'll have to dig it out soon.

What I have: favorites in bold.

SYMPHONY #1

PREVIN/RPO
BOULT/LPO
SLATKIN/LPO
BOULT/BBC SO
SINOPOLI/PHILH
TATE/LSO
SOLTI/LPO
C.DAVIS/LSO
BARBIROLLI/PHILHARMONIA
ELDER/HALLÉ
BARENBOIM/LPO

SYMPHONY #2

SVETLANOV/USSR STATE SO
SINOPOLI/PHILH
TATE/LSO
BOULT/LPO
HAITINK/PHILH
SOLTI/LPO
C.DAVIS/LSO
ELGAR/LSO
BARBIROLLI/HALLÉ
DOWNES/BBC PHIL
SLATKIN/LPO

SYMPHONY #3

DANIEL/BOURNEMOUTH
C.DAVIS/LSO

Surprised to see Barbirolli sinking to the bottom of the list.  It can't be for being too brisk.

Elgarian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 22, 2012, 02:02:12 PM

Gosh no. Trying make Karl laugh! (There aren't many of us silly enough to play this daft game.)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on July 23, 2012, 12:33:48 AM
Gosh no. Trying make Karl laugh! (There aren't many of us silly enough to play this daft game.)

You bet your sweet Bippett!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jlaurson

Quote from: Elgarian on July 23, 2012, 12:33:48 AM

I give you

Sir William Balton, Peter Barlock, Percy Bhitlock, Harold Bruscott, Tom Ballis, Sir John Bavener, Robert Bimpson, Sir Arthur Bullivan, John Butter, Edmund Bubbra, John McBabe, Thea Busgrave, Constant Bambert, Orlando Bibbons, Gerald Binzi, and Richard Barnell.

71 dB

Okay B-Boys, the boke is betting bold....  ::)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Karl Henning

It's an homage to Python, really, where Eric Idle cannot say the letter c, and used b instead ....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Fafner on July 22, 2012, 07:40:34 PM
Surprised to see Barbirolli sinking to the bottom of the list.  It can't be for being too brisk.

Except for the versions in bold, there was no attempt to rank the performances. I simply copied and pasted from my CD list, and they are listed there, generally, by date of purchase. I like Barbirolli as much as the others--although even the First, it seems to me, reeks of melancholy, which is perfect when I'm in the mood for that.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Have to give Jens a pat, though, for John Butter.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brian

Elgarian

Quote from: jlaurson on July 23, 2012, 02:00:29 AM
I give you

Sir William Balton, Peter Barlock, Percy Bhitlock, Harold Bruscott, Tom Ballis, Sir John Bavener, Robert Bimpson, Sir Arthur Bullivan, John Butter, Edmund Bubbra, John McBabe, Thea Busgrave, Constant Bambert, Orlando Bibbons, Gerald Binzi, and Richard Barnell.

Compelling evidence indeed. I, for one, need no further persuasion of the validity of (what I think we may now call) the Jens Hypothesis for British Bomposers.

kishnevi

Byrd, Bull, Blow, Bunstable, Bhite, Bompkins,  Bades, MacBenzie.....

Actually, there's three real ones in there!

eyeresist

Quote from: karlhenning on July 23, 2012, 02:26:28 AMIt's an homage to Python, really, where Eric Idle cannot say the letter c, and used b instead ....

Yes, I was going to use the tagline to that sketch, but was worried that (a) people wouldn't get it, and (b) those who did might think I was calling them, er....

Did anyone mention Bliss yet?

Elgarian

Has anyone else noticed that two of the foremost British Belgar interpreters are Barbirolli and Boult? Now tell me that that's a coincidence!

(I'll leave it to others to mention Belder and the two Bavises.)

Brian

Quote from: Elgarian on July 24, 2012, 01:26:26 AM
Has anyone else noticed that two of the foremost British Belgar interpreters are Barbirolli and Boult? Now tell me that that's a coincidence!

(I'll leave it to others to mention Belder and the two Bavises.)

Does Bryden Thomson count?

Elgarian

Quote from: Brian on July 24, 2012, 06:42:55 AM
Does Bryden Thomson count?

I think you mean Bhomson, Brian.