Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

And I shall revisit the Elder recording of both Falstaff and (with Schiff) of the Cello Concerto to-day.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Elgarian

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 02, 2013, 01:57:15 PM
Anyway, getting away from the chamber works ::), what is everyone's favorite performance of the Cello Concerto besides du Pre? :)

My absolute favourite recording is Beatrice Harrison, with Elgar conducting. Trouble is, I know too much about her to be objective, from her playing cello to the nightingales in her garden, to Elgar's whispered comment once as they went up onto the stage together: 'Give it 'em Beatrice; don't mind about the notes or anything; give 'em the spirit.' So a lot of extra-musical baggage comes into my choice. Still, she was Elgar's chosen cellist of distinction.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on January 03, 2013, 02:28:49 AM
My absolute favourite recording is Beatrice Harrison, with Elgar conducting. Trouble is, I know too much about her to be objective, from her playing cello to the nightingales in her garden, to Elgar's whispered comment once as they went up onto the stage together: 'Give it 'em Beatrice; don't mind about the notes or anything; give 'em the spirit.' So a lot of extra-musical baggage comes into my choice. Still, she was Elgar's chosen cellist of distinction.

Which in turn reminds me to check who the cellist is, in the Elgar's Own Edition.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on January 03, 2013, 03:37:32 AM
Which in turn reminds me to check who the cellist is, in the Elgar's Own Edition.

Bah, can you tell I've not had my first cuppa tea yet this morning? Cor, but I feel dumber 'n a toothpick in a shuttered delicatessen.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on January 03, 2013, 03:41:28 AM
Bah, can you tell I've not had my first cuppa tea yet this morning? Cor, but I feel dumber 'n a toothpick in a shuttered delicatessen.

I think we have the makings of a good and testing Pub Quiz question: In Beatrice Harrison's recording of Elgar's cello concerto under Elgar's baton,
(1) who was the soloist?
(2) what was the solo instrument?
(3) who was the conductor?
(4) and in which shuttered delicatessen did it not take place?

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Elgarian on January 03, 2013, 05:12:14 AM
I think we have the makings of a good and testing Pub Quiz question: In Beatrice Harrison's recording of Elgar's cello concerto under Elgar's baton,
(1) who was the soloist?
(2) what was the solo instrument?
(3) who was the conductor?
(4) and in which shuttered delicatessen did it not take place?
For extra credit there is:
(5) what piece were they playing at the time? :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Thanks for the chuckle, gents! Cheers!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Elgarian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 03, 2013, 05:16:13 AM
For extra credit there is:
(5) what piece were they playing at the time? :)

Damn, I wish I'd thought of that! What a clincher!

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on January 03, 2013, 02:17:55 AM
May 1957.

Thanks, Karl. One further question is it in mono or stereo?

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2013, 06:31:44 AM
Thanks, Karl. One further question is it in mono or stereo?

Will check when I get home, John. I should think stereo . . . certainly it was a Wilma Cozart Fine job . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 02, 2013, 10:53:08 AM
I enjoyed the Violin Sonata more than the Piano Quintet, but I'll listen to this recording again.

My ranking of Elgar's chamber works (favorite performance):

1. Piano Quintet (Maggini String Quartet + Peter Donohoe)
2. Violin Sonata (Lydia Mordkovitch + Julian Milford)
3. String Quartet (draw between Maggini String Quartet and Music Group of London)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on January 03, 2013, 08:25:42 AM
Will check when I get home, John. I should think stereo . . . certainly it was a Wilma Cozart Fine job . . . .

Thanks, Karl. I'll check it out. You can never have too many performances of the CC. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 03, 2013, 08:42:17 AM
Now:

[asin]B0000B0A0P[/asin]

Listening to Elgar's Enigma Variations from this great set. A unique insight into this work. Some interesting choices of tempi throughout.

Has anyone heard this Stokowski performance? It's really good. The Czech Philharmonic perform admirably well. This set is the first time this particular performance has been released.

Mirror Image

What do I love about du Pre's performance? Her intensity, virtuosity, ability to plumb the emotional depths of a work that clearly sounds like a confession of sorrow, loneliness, and isolation. I hear a cellist playing as if her very life was at stake. She became Elgar's voice crying out amidst the shadows. That yearning lyricism haunts me to no end. It also helps to have a sympathetic conductor aiding the performer in the music. In this case, Barbirolli was hers for the duration of this work. He was there with her from the first note that was played. I can think of no other performance that satisfies me this way than du Pre's. I have heard her earlier performance with Barenboim and, it's nice, but it doesn't begin to express the type of emotion this performance personifies.

There, Neal, is that a good explanation? :)

Gurn Blanston

If you will excuse it for a bit, I am going to lock this while I get a grip on what has gone on. Meanwhile we can all listen to some Haydn and come back refreshed. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Very well, hopefully the Haydn has had its usual beneficent effect and we are ready to resume the discussion of the normally non-controversial Sir Edward. I have applied the pruner with equal opportunity for all, and fondly hope that I shan't have to return to the 20th century for a bit. :)

Carry on, I suppose.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mirror Image

Revisiting this recording after a long hiatus...

No sure what everyone's favorite performance of The Music Makers is but this one is GREAT! Boult, always the assured Elgarian, conducts an unforgettable performance IMHO. Janet Baker sounds better than ever here. I'm also going to tread on through The Dream of Gerontius. A work, which under Elder, has given me some problems. Hopefully, Boult's clear-headed way with the music will spark some interest for me this time around.

Mirror Image

Hello...Hello...Hello....is there anybody out there? :)

I guess when Gurn cleaned some house, he cleared out the people too! ;D

TheGSMoeller

The three recordings of Music Makers I own...

All three very good. Wright/Naxos has superb sound with much clarity in the choir, especially in the quieter moments, and Connolly has the perfect voice for this and Sea. Although, Davis is overall the better of the three I would say.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 04, 2013, 08:27:33 PM
The three recordings of Music Makers I own...

All three very good. Wright/Naxos has superb sound with much clarity in the choir, especially in the quieter moments, and Connolly has the perfect voice for this and Sea. Although, Davis is overall the better of the three I would say.

Thanks for the feedback, Greg. I thought the Connolly/Wright was very good. I agree about the clarity of, not only the choir, but the orchestral as well. I do believe, though, I like the weightiness and darker toned Baker/Boult performance much more than the Connolly/Wright. This is such a good performance. Have you heard it? I need to re-listen to the Andrew Davis/Rigby as it's been quite some time since I've heard it. As I said before, Sir Andrew Davis is my favorite living Elgar conductor.