Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Now, let me say from the outset that I sincerely hope we can have a thread to discuss the life and works of this composer (as we do for so many others), without the insane bickering and backbiting that caused the 'Sir Edward Elgar' thread to get locked. We've been there, done that - let's move on.

I want to kick things off by discussing some of Elgar's lesser-known works. I'm thinking specifically of his beautiful part-songs, of which there are some splendid examples on this CD:

Having recently acquired both this disc and Barbirolli's classic take on 'The Dream of Gerontius', I'm amazed at the variety and complexity of Elgar's vocal writing. Whatever one might think of Elgar as an orchestrator, his way with layers and textures of voices is quite something. I confess a preference for his vocal writing for smaller forces, but the way he masses sound in larger works is quite impressive.

Of the part-songs I most enjoy, 'The Shower' stands out farthest. In many respects, it puts me in mind of Stanford's 'The Blue Bird': both have a serenity about them, both seem to convey something far beneath their apparently simple words, and each seems to me to be a perfect example of knowing how much is enough. Even if one listens not to the words of 'The Shower' but to the sound as it washes over you (slight pun intended), one gets the sense that Elgar had an instinct for vocal writing - something for which, AFAIK, he's rarely given due credit.

So, Elgar and his lesser-known works. Are there any which capture your imagination? If not, what are your thoughts on his better-known material? Which performances do Elgar most justice, and which would you recommend others avoid?

(And please, try to keep things civil, folks. Thanks. :))

vandermolen

I love Sospiri and Prelude to the Kingdom, also "The Waggon Passes" from the late Nursery Suite.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

71 dB

Quote from: Mark on September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM
I want to kick things off by discussing some of Elgar's lesser-known works. I'm thinking specifically of his beautiful part-songs, of which there are some splendid examples on this CD:

Thanks for kicking things off Mark. I have that CD. It's not my favorite Elgar but sometimes it's nice to listen to these part-songs.  :)

The Snow Op. 26, No. 1 is a small vocal work I'd bring up.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mark

Quote from: 71 dB on September 20, 2007, 04:28:09 AM
Thanks for kicking things off Mark.

;)

Quote from: vandermolen on September 20, 2007, 02:24:10 AM
I love Sospiri ...

I know I've heard this, and that I have it on some sampler CD somewhere (not among my main collection). I'll have to dig it out and have another listen. It's quite short, isn't it?

71 dB

Quote from: Mark on September 20, 2007, 05:13:22 AM
I'll have to dig it out and have another listen. It's quite short, isn't it?

Sospiri, Op. 70 is about 5 minutes long.

I have 4 performances of it, 2 for string/chamber orchestra and 2 for violin and piano.

Mark

Quote from: 71 dB on September 20, 2007, 05:24:29 AM
Sospiri, Op. 70 is about 5 minutes long.

And it's for strings only, yes?

71 dB

karlhenning

Falstaff.

There, now the thread can be taken seriously  0:)

Kullervo

Anyone familiar with this (rather inexpensive) disc?

karlhenning

Another piece which absolutely must be mentioned on the first page of any Elgar thread pretending to respectability, is the Sonata for Violin & Piano in E minor, Opus 82. Head and shoulders above the Piano Quintet, IMO, though I do enjoy the latter.

Mark

Quote from: karlhenning on September 20, 2007, 05:55:11 AM
Another piece which absolutely must be mentioned on the first page of any Elgar thread pretending to respectability, is the Sonata for Violin & Piano in E minor, Opus 82. Head and shoulders above the Piano Quintet, IMO, though I do enjoy the latter.

Thanks for the tip-off. Wasn't aware of this work.

karlhenning

Quote from: Mark on September 20, 2007, 05:57:59 AM
Thanks for the tip-off. Wasn't aware of this work.

It was completely off my radar until Nigel Kennedy played this at Old Cabell Hall in Charlottesville.  I turned pages for his accompanist, and the piece has had me in its fell grip ever since.

Mark

Feel I need to again plug this excellent CD, not just for its Elgar but also a stirring Walton and beautiful Finzi:

karlhenning

When I saw Finzi: Elegy it took me a long second to realize it's not the Eclogue.  The Walton I should listen to again, too; that looks a nice disc, Mark.

Mark

Quote from: karlhenning on September 20, 2007, 06:32:21 AM
When I saw Finzi: Elegy it took me a long second to realize it's not the Eclogue.  The Walton I should listen to again, too; that looks a nice disc, Mark.

It's superb, Karl. Buy it without delay. ;)

karlhenning

Oh, for entirely non-musical reasons, delay is very much indicated  8)

J.Z. Herrenberg

I love Sospiri ever since hearing a recording by the Academy of St. Martin's-in-the-Fields under (who else) Neville Marriner. It was an Argo disc (yes, gramophone...), IIRC. And there's an organ, too, I think (ad lib.)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

71 dB

Lethevich

Quote from: Corey on September 20, 2007, 05:52:21 AM
Anyone familiar with this (rather inexpensive) disc?

I haven't heard that one, but on the same label there is this two-disc set which I can recommend, it provides excellent recordings of his three major chamber works, and as (a rather large :P) bonus, a nice one of the violin concerto. The performances are pretty much the usual from British forces playing British music - unflashy and undisappointing. The music does the talking.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.