Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on January 11, 2015, 11:47:24 PM
What do you think about these two recordings? Worthwhile?

I own both of these recordings and both are delightful. Granted, none of these recordings contain a major work of Elgar's but that doesn't matter as the quality of the music is still quite high and one who loves Elgar should find a lot of enjoyment here. The Starlight Express is very much a fun work and kind of takes the whole idea of The Wand of Youth Suites or The Nursery Suite and blows them up into a larger framework with added narration. It's great fun but it's not a work I return very often. I might occasionally listen to the suite that's pulled from The Starlight Express, but that's about it. As for the other recording, it's a definitely a good one and it kind of ties up some odds and ends in terms of Elgar's oeuvre. Carillion, Une Voix dans le Desert, and Le Drapeau Belge are works for narrator, soloists, and orchestra. I really haven't given these more than one listen, so I can't comment on the merits of the music nor the performances themselves. The ballet The Sanguine Fan can be found in several other recordings, but it's a fine performance nonetheless. This is a work I haven't given much thought about, so perhaps Elgarian can indulge us here?

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on January 12, 2015, 07:37:42 AM
There will be more swivelling & bopping, for one thing!

I am delighted to hear it. I wish you also much 'infectious bounce and twinkling affection'!(Remember that old stuff?)

Elgarian

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 12, 2015, 07:47:28 AM
Carillion, Une Voix dans le Desert, and Le Drapeau Belge are works for narrator, soloists, and orchestra. I really haven't given these more than one listen, so I can't comment on the merits of the music nor the performances themselves. The ballet The Sanguine Fan can be found in several other recordings, but it's a fine performance nonetheless. This is a work I haven't given much thought about, so perhaps Elgarian can indulge us here?

I've nothing to contribute about The Sanguine Fan I'm afraid, but I would like to put in a good word for Une Voix dans le Desert. It's only a short piece - as MI says, a work for narrator, soloist and orchestra. But the central sung passage, which lasts about 5 minutes, is simply wonderful. It's a soprano part, emulating a girl singing from a cottage in the middle of a battlefield, very moving, very beautiful. Sad to relate, Teresa Cahill's version seems now to be effectively unavailable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgar-War-Music-Barry-Collett/dp/B000027GPO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1421082381&sr=1-1&keywords=elgar+war+music

Karl Henning

Quote from: Elgarian on January 12, 2015, 07:55:41 AM
I am delighted to hear it. I wish you also much 'infectious bounce and twinkling affection'!(Remember that old stuff?)

Remember it! I invented it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Elgarian on January 12, 2015, 08:09:28 AM
I've nothing to contribute about The Sanguine Fan I'm afraid, but I would like to put in a good word for Une Voix dans le Desert. It's only a short piece - as MI says, a work for narrator, soloist and orchestra. But the central sung passage, which lasts about 5 minutes, is simply wonderful. It's a soprano part, emulating a girl singing from a cottage in the middle of a battlefield, very moving, very beautiful. Sad to relate, Teresa Cahill's version seems now to be effectively unavailable:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgar-War-Music-Barry-Collett/dp/B000027GPO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1421082381&sr=1-1&keywords=elgar+war+music

(Wipes drool from mouth) I really hope Naxos reissues that Collins recording. We need more Cahill recordings in circulation! :)

knight66

Quote from: Elgarian on January 12, 2015, 12:53:48 AM
Sometimes one reads a review ... and the only response one is capable of is  ... 'WHAT?'

I can only suppose that the reviewer and I are listening to the work with completely different expectations - completely different notions about what The Spirit of England is, and is about.

The fellow is talking about one of the finest, most moving performances of any work that I know, after a lifetime of listening. What can I say, except ... well, OK? And move on.

Agreed, the remarks on Cahill are bizarre, Gibson's pacing seems just fine to me.....but then, I am rather biased about the recording.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

mc ukrneal

You're back! You're back! You're back!! I missed it! I am blind! But I am happy! You have made my year :)

Now I must see what I have missed....
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Moonfish on January 11, 2015, 11:30:43 PM
Thanks! We are back home again and things are looking good.  :)
Good to hear!

71 dB

Teresa Cahill's version seems now to be effectively unavailable:

I bought that CD some 15 years ago. Yes, Une Voix dans le Desert is great!  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Moonfish

Quote from: Elgarian on January 12, 2015, 07:13:45 AM

There's no meeting ground here, and there's no right answer. There is no 'best recording'. When all's done, there are only listeners attending to the music: in one case finding disappointment, and in another, an epiphany.

I completely agree with you, Elgarian!  One person's delight can be a painful listening experience to another person. Reviews and posts in GMG gives ideas and inspiration for listening to classical music, but the ultimate test is of course one's own impressions. I was also surprised to read the negative impressions of Cahill in the review, but it was still interesting in terms of the general discussion of The Spirit of England.  I posted it here more for the latter aspect rather than the Cahill "rating" as I have no anti-Cahill agenda. Actually, such contradictory reviews make me more interested in a specific recording.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 12, 2015, 07:47:28 AM
I own both of these recordings and both are delightful. Granted, none of these recordings contain a major work of Elgar's but that doesn't matter as the quality of the music is still quite high and one who loves Elgar should find a lot of enjoyment here. The Starlight Express is very much a fun work and kind of takes the whole idea of The Wand of Youth Suites or The Nursery Suite and blows them up into a larger framework with added narration. It's great fun but it's not a work I return very often. I might occasionally listen to the suite that's pulled from The Starlight Express, but that's about it. As for the other recording, it's a definitely a good one and it kind of ties up some odds and ends in terms of Elgar's oeuvre. Carillion, Une Voix dans le Desert, and Le Drapeau Belge are works for narrator, soloists, and orchestra. I really haven't given these more than one listen, so I can't comment on the merits of the music nor the performances themselves. The ballet The Sanguine Fan can be found in several other recordings, but it's a fine performance nonetheless. This is a work I haven't given much thought about, so perhaps Elgarian can indulge us here?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, John. I have been pondering the Great War lately so the latter compilation of Elgar's compositions from the period is interesting to me.
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Elgarian

Quote from: karlhenning on January 12, 2015, 08:25:10 AM
Remember it! I invented it!

Remember that time when you tried to sell buckets of it to Sarge behind the bike sheds, pretending it was 'infectious affection and twinkling bounce'? Oh those were the days, when men were men, and twinkles bounced!

Karl Henning

Yet higher will the twinkles bounce this year! I know the Sarge is in!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Elgarian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 12, 2015, 09:50:46 AM
You're back! You're back! You're back!! I missed it! I am blind! But I am happy! You have made my year :)

Now I must see what I have missed....

Do you mean Mike, or Karl? Have they been away?

Karl Henning

They've not chased me off, yet . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Moonfish

You certainly inspire, Elgarian!  Cahill's recordings clearly need to be reissued!  >:(
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on January 12, 2015, 11:07:57 AM
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, John. I have been pondering the Great War lately so the latter compilation of Elgar's composition from the period is interesting to me.

I would certainly acquire them, especially since I doubt that The Starlight Express will ever receive such deluxe treatment again in the near future.

Leo K.

The Elgar/Harrison account of Elgar's Cello Concerto is a wonder - my appreciation for Elgar as a conductor grows immeasurably with each listen - that includes his recording of the Violin Concero with Menuhin, wow, great music making!

Leo K.

Wow wow wow, an amazing recording of the string quartet and piano quintet!

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Elgarian on January 12, 2015, 11:24:52 AM
Do you mean Mike, or Karl? Have they been away?
Ha. I was so excited that I plum forgot to say who I was I excited to see posting (you of course)! How have the fields of Elgar been treating you? :)