Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jfdrex on January 16, 2015, 12:47:12 PM
David Hurwitz castigates it as a "CD from Hell"

Quote from: Moonfish on January 16, 2015, 07:02:10 PM
A "cd from hell" is quite extreme. Hmm, now I wonder what that would sound like!  ;)     

Hurwitz actually likes the Sea Pictures:

The Sea Pictures fares better than the symphony[...]We also get an encore of "Where Corals Lie," and frankly mezzo soprano Larisa Avdejeva deserves it. She has the typical Slavic vibrato to her voice, but she flings herself at the music with fearless abandon[...]Next to this the contained dignity of Janet Baker sounds positively lobotomized. The sour brass intonation in the final bar also adds a "distinctive" touch.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

jfdrex

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 17, 2015, 06:42:45 AM
Hurwitz actually likes the Sea Pictures:

The Sea Pictures fares better than the symphony[...]We also get an encore of "Where Corals Lie," and frankly mezzo soprano Larisa Avdejeva deserves it. She has the typical Slavic vibrato to her voice, but she flings herself at the music with fearless abandon[...]Next to this the contained dignity of Janet Baker sounds positively lobotomized. The sour brass intonation in the final bar also adds a "distinctive" touch.

Sarge

Thanks for quoting the review, Sarge.  I hadn't actually read the the full review, as it was one of those available to "Insiders Only" (i.e., paid subscribers to the website).  I'm not an Insider, just a freeloading Outsider. ;D

The "CD from Hell" designation seems to be a classification that Hurwitz gives to recordings he really, really, really detests.  But those reviews are all hidden behind the pay-wall.  No doubt that's part of the teaser as far as DH is concerned:  "This CD is so awful that you'll want to pay to read how truly awful it is." :D

Leo K.

This box is such a treasure - the symphonies are a revelation! The sound is so clear, the details so gripping on the ear, the phrasing and tempo relationships so exciting!

Moonfish

Quote from: Leo K. on January 18, 2015, 11:20:15 AM

This box is such a treasure - the symphonies are a revelation! The sound is so clear, the details so gripping on the ear, the phrasing and tempo relationships so exciting!

A wonderful Elgar legacy!  :)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Daverz

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2015, 06:32:18 AM
Svetlanov in Gerontius? That should be interesting. He's such an awesome conductor, but I only know his recordings of Russian music.

Is it sung in Russian?  That would be one way to avoid the religious cheese of the English libretto.

André

Quote from: Moonfish on January 18, 2015, 11:45:50 AM
A wonderful Elgar legacy!  :)

I bought that set in its lp incarnation when it came out about 30 years ago. Cost me dear, dear money at the time. For the life of me I can't recall any sonic felicities from those discs. I am surprised and intrigued. Should I cast my net to include it ?

Leo K.

Quote from: André on January 18, 2015, 01:22:43 PM
I bought that set in its lp incarnation when it came out about 30 years ago. Cost me dear, dear money at the time. For the life of me I can't recall any sonic felicities from those discs. I am surprised and intrigued. Should I cast my net to include it ?
EMI did a stellar job with this set, the sound is full, detailed and open, incredible for its age.

Moonfish

Quote from: André on January 18, 2015, 01:22:43 PM

I think the sound engineering is almost unbelievably high in quality considering the age of the recordings. Most likely required if one enjoys the magic of Elgar's music!  0:)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Elgar:
Sospiri
Elegy for Strings
Academy of St Martin in the Fields/Marriner

I am certain that there must be better renditions of these two short pieces, but the music itself was mesmerizing. Both of them are beautiful although Sospiri stood out as a brilliant shining gem of interwoven notes. I must admit that I was quite taken aback by its intrinsic beauty. Perhaps I am beginning to be a bit biased in regards to Elgar but Sospiri is a piece I could listen to over and over for the rest of my life. Exquisite!  0:)
The Elegy for Strings does not fall far behind in its own auditory wonder.

from
[asin] B0000759Y6[/asin]

Anna Lappé

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on January 18, 2015, 02:57:53 PM
Elgar:
Sospiri
Elegy for Strings

I am certain that there must be better renditions of these two short pieces, but the music itself was mesmerizing. Both of them are beautiful although Sospiri stood out as a brilliant shining gem of interwoven notes. I must admit that I was quite taken aback by its intrinsic beauty. Perhaps I am beginning to be a bit biased in regards to Elgar but Sospiri is a piece I could listen to over and over for the rest of my life. Exquisite!  0:)

from
Agreed, Peter, those are wonderful pieces. Particularly Sospiri. I don't know other recordings, but I really like Andrew Davis' rendition.

[asin]B0009VYP92[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on January 18, 2015, 02:57:53 PM
Elgar:
Sospiri
Elegy for Strings

from
[asin] B0000759Y6[/asin]

Yes, Sospiri is a gorgeous work. In its short duration, it seems to be a sort of musical footnote. He got to the essence of himself, laid it out there completely bare, and channeled his pain, grief, fears, hopes, and dreams as a human being to the listener in such a compelling and honest way. One of my favorite performances is with Barbirolli.

Elgarian

Quote from: Leo K. on January 18, 2015, 11:20:15 AM

And as if that were not enough ... it's him! The nearest we can get to a conversation with Elgar (admittedly rather one sided) about his works.

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on January 18, 2015, 03:14:45 PM
Agreed, Peter, those are wonderful pieces. Particularly Sospiri. I don't know other recordings, but I really like Andrew Davis' rendition.

[asin]B0009VYP92[/asin]

Hmm, yes, I definitely need to listen to Davis as well as Barbiroll's versions of these pieces.  :)
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Elgar: Symphony No 1      Philharmonia O/Barbirolli

Last night I began my "Barbirollization"....   0:)

[asin] B00000DOBZ[/asin]

from
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on January 19, 2015, 08:06:47 AM
Elgar: Symphony No 1      Philharmonia O/Barbirolli

Last night I began my "Barbirollization"....   0:)

[asin] B00000DOBZ[/asin]

from

And? Tell us what you think, Moonfish. :)

André

Yesterday I listenend to the new 2 disc set of Sea Pictures cum Dream of Gerontius on the Chandos label. Solists are Sarah Connolly (Pics & Dream), Stuart Skelton and David Soar. Conductor: Sir Andrew Davis.

No caveats for the Sea Pictures, except that I miss the unique timbre of Janet Baker. Wonderful interpretation and realization.

After a single airing I am of two minds concerning Gerontius. The recording is amazingly lifelike and endowed with a wonderful dynamic range. Everything is efforlessly handled, nothing is missed or slighted soundwise. Similarly, the vocalism of the three principals is wonderful. Connolly brings back - but does not efface - memories of Baker, although Felicity Palmer is even more gloriously abandoned in her ecstatic final Alleluia. Bass David Soar is easily the star of the show here. if that can be said of his stern, unglamorous roles (those of the Priest and Angel of Agony). Magnificent bass range, smooth vocalism, dignified singing. The best of the lot along with Robert Lloyd.

Tenor Stuart Skelton is supposed to be a heldentenor. I can hear that in the voice. I have a couple of problems with his beautiful organ. First, it sounds healthy and young. Everybody minimally versed in etymology knows that Gerontius belongs to the category of the very old (gerontology, gerontocracy, etc). Also, he is dying. It's true that the part demands a strong, steady voice. But some element of frailty or 'experience' must be heard. Arthur Davies and esp. Nicolaï Gedda and Jon Vickers seem perfect to me. Some strain must make its way in the vocal fabric. The second problem I have is that there does not seem to be any anguish in his portrayal of the Soul about to meet his Creator. Eagerness, yes. Confidence even. I prefer to hear unease make its way gradually in this infinitely dramatic section. His final cry of 'Take me away' is breathtaking in its power and beauty.

Davis' pacing is patient and steady. This is the element I am most eager to analyse upon further hearings. That first exposure was more of a mise en place designed to identify and place signposts in the score before going for the real, defining listening experience.

Mirror Image

Thanks for the feedback, Andre. There seems to always be a problem accepting other performances of Sea Pictures and I'm certainly guilty of it as well as I believe Janet Baker became that work and gave the performance of a lifetime, but I'm curious to hear Connolly's interpretation. As for Gerontius, I'm sure Andrew Davis is in top-form as he is in Elgar in general. Very anxious to hear these performances.

knight66

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,10121.msg254182/topicseen.html#msg254182 

Here is my review of the Elder version, the best I know of subsequent to the Elder Barbirolli one. I am curious to hear the new Davis one, I will wait until I can find it at a bargain price.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Mirror Image

It makes this ol' boy proud to see Moonfish become Barbirollized. 8)

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 20, 2015, 06:48:47 AM
It makes this ol' boy proud to see Moonfish become Barbirollized. 8)

Yes, it happens to everybody sooner or later, right?         Right.....???   ::)
Anna Lappé