Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonfish

Elgar:
Violin Sonata Op. 82          Crayford/Brown
Piano Quintet  Op. 84       The Nash Ensemble

I am definitely more drawn to the soundscape of the Quintet than the Sonata. However, these pieces will need numerous listening reiterations as they are quite new to me.  0:)

[asin] B000002ZSL[/asin]
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Elgarian

Quote from: jfdrex on January 22, 2015, 11:38:14 AM
Ah, of course you're right. :-[  Here's the thing: As I read those lines, my eye saw the word--or my mind read it--as wind-flower.

Uncannily, almost the exact same thing happened to a dear friend of mine some years ago.  We had been exchanging some correspondence about the Elgar Violin Concerto.  Then, one morning, sitting in the front of the upper deck of a London bus on her way to work, she saw a sign that she read, on first glance, as wind flowers.  Only after she had been staring at the sign for a few moments did she realize that what it actually said was window flowers.

Such is the power of Elgarian suggestion!

It's a common medical condition called Elgaritis. I've had it for years and there's no cure.

71 dB

Quote from: Elgarian on January 22, 2015, 12:38:26 PM
It's a common medical condition called Elgaritis. I've had it for years and there's no cure.

No cure?  ??? Perhaps Mrs Winslow's Soothing Syrup would help?  0:)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

jfdrex

Quote from: 71 dB on January 22, 2015, 01:52:13 PM
No cure?  ??? Perhaps Mrs Winslow's Soothing Syrup would help?  0:)

Not quite a universal panacea, although it did help me through my teething pains.  ;D  And taken in this form, it does have a certain soothing effect:

https://www.youtube.com/v/VNnVR5rHWLU

Perhaps I should try Tincture of Windflower?

http://www.herbalremedieslk.com/herbal_information/ANEMONE.html

Leo K.

What do my fellow Elgarians think of the Organ Sonata, the original or the arrangement for orchestra?

In 'The Music Maker' (by Diana McVeagh) she says it's known as the precursor to the two symphonies, Elgar's first large scale instrumental composition.

For me it's a real interesting piece and I'm getting to know it from the 30 CD Elgar box.

André

Listening with glee to the Lyrita London Philharmonic performance of the First (Sir Adrian conducting). Yesterday I listened to the Second and I had a few doubts (too gentle a scherzo). But not this time. Everything flows effortlessly, from the grand opening strains of the first movement march to the malicious, bubbly scherzo, into the magnificent adagio.

The 19 disc EMI box which I got yesterday contains 2 other performances - from the 1940s and fromt the1970s (used to have those on LP). Can't wait to listen to the whole thing !!!  ;D

Leo K.

Quote from: André on January 22, 2015, 04:06:19 PM
Listening with glee to the Lyrita London Philharmonic performance of the First (Sir Adrian conducting). Yesterday I listened to the Second and I had a few doubts (too gentle a scherzo). But not this time. Everything flows effortlessly, from the grand opening strains of the first movement march to the malicious, bubbly scherzo, into the magnificent adagio.

I agree with your comments, what an incredible performance in good sound! I actually listened to it for the first time today.

Moonfish

Quote from: André on January 22, 2015, 04:06:19 PM

The 19 disc EMI box which I got yesterday contains 2 other performances - from the 1940s and fromt the1970s (used to have those on LP). Can't wait to listen to the whole thing !!!  ;D

2015 must be an Elgar year for some reason!!    8)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

André

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 22, 2015, 06:33:04 AM
Hey Peter, yes, I'm quite pushy when it comes to performances I like! ;) I'm glad I have come to admire Boult's Elgar as much as Barbirolli's as both represent two different approaches. Slatkin, on the other hand, seems to find a happy medium from Barbirolli and Boult. Slatkin seems emotionally driven but not without an attention to the inner-workings and dynamics of the music. He also gets some very fine playing from the London Philharmonic with excellent audio quality to boot.

Another question: have you heard Andrew Davis new-ish recordings of Elgar on Signum Classics? I HIGHLY recommend the 2-CD set of Symphonies 1 & 2 and the single release of Enigma Variations. All performed by the Philharmonia Orchestra. Still one of my favorite Symphony No. 2 performances on record.

[asin]B0036U24UK[/asin]

[asin]B00288AUX4[/asin]

No, I haven't heard those performances. I have only listened to A. Davis' BBC SO recordings.  Do you think the ones on Signum are the best recordings of #1 and #2 in modern digital sound?
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on January 22, 2015, 05:28:52 PM
No, I haven't heard those performances. I have only listened to A. Davis' BBC SO recordings.  Do you think the ones on Signum are the best recordings of #1 and #2 in modern digital sound?

I really, really like Mark Elder's performance of Symphony No. 1 and, of course, A. Davis' performance of Symphony No. 2 is the best modern performance I've heard of this symphony, but, honestly, I think you couldn't go wrong with Elder or A. Davis here.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on January 22, 2015, 12:30:43 PM
Elgar:

I am definitely more drawn to the soundscape of the Quintet than the Sonata. However, these pieces will need numerous listening reiterations as they are quite new to me.  0:)

[asin] B000002ZSL[/asin]

I really enjoy both works. I probably enjoy the Violin Sonata more since I'm a sucker for the violin/piano combination. I need to give more listens to the Piano Quintet.

Leo K.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 08, 2015, 05:21:04 PM
Gave the Takezawa/C. Davis a listen but didn't feel anything from it like I did Little/A. Davis. Takezawa definitely plays well, but I need more from the Violin Concerto. I got halfway through the first movement of Symphony No. 2 with Barenboim/Staatskapelle and turned it off. This isn't the Elgar 'sound' that I know and love. It sounds a bit emotionless to me. I just couldn't make it through it without being disappointed by how out-of-touch Barenboim is from Elgar's sound-world. The reviewer on Amazon had it right when they said Barenboim was no Elgarian. He certainly isn't in my book. Boult is starting to sound a lot better to me now. I'm definitely going to be revisiting his performances once I get his EMI Complete Elgar Recordings set.
The Barenboim Elgar 2 with the Staatskapelle is now one of my favorite recordings of the 2nd - the sound is so lush, the strings dig deep and sound tension ridden and the phrasing is sculpted with beauty and drive, a wonderful fantastic performance!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on January 22, 2015, 06:33:59 PM
The Barenboim Elgar 2 with the Staatskapelle is now one of my favorite recordings of the 2nd - the sound is so lush, the strings dig deep and sound tension ridden and the phrasing is sculpted with beauty and drive, a wonderful fantastic performance!!

Great to hear, Leo! I wish I could find the same virtues in the performance however. I was quite disappointed, but Barenboim has some stiff competition in this masterpiece anyway.

Leo K.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 22, 2015, 06:36:27 PM
Great to hear, Leo! I wish I could find the same virtues in the performance however. I was quite disappointed, but Barenboim has some stiff competition in this masterpiece anyway.
I can understand this performance may not be everyone's cup of tea - it's funny but I am reminded of Simon Rattle's style - of which I'm a fan - but the majority will not like that controlled way with the score.  If it flows I like it, as I hear in this recording.

Another newer release I like is the Osamo account, it's a totally different take - leaner, faster and thinner texture.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Leo K. on January 22, 2015, 08:51:28 PM
I can understand this performance may not be everyone's cup of tea - it's funny but I am reminded of Simon Rattle's style - of which I'm a fan - but the majority will not like that controlled way with the score.  If it flows I like it, as I hear in this recording.

Another newer release I like is the Oramo account, it's a totally different take - leaner, faster and thinner texture.

I suppose I'm just a sentimental sap and like hearing this symphony a certain way. Don't get me wrong, I love hearing different interpretations, but it seems this particular work I seem to have veils over my ears in the way that if I don't feel something from the performance, then, ultimately, I push it aside like a bad meal. But, hey, that's what makes us different as listeners. To each his own.

Leo K.

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 22, 2015, 09:05:06 PM
I suppose I'm just a sentimental sap and like hearing this symphony a certain way. Don't get me wrong, I love hearing different interpretations, but it seems this particular work I seem to have veils over my ears in the way that if I don't feel something from the performance, then, ultimately, I push it aside like a bad meal. But, hey, that's what makes us different as listeners. To each his own.
Amen to that my friend! 8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Moonfish on January 22, 2015, 12:30:43 PM
Elgar:

I am definitely more drawn to the soundscape of the Quintet than the Sonata.

Well, circumstances were such that I was besotted with the Sonata right out the gate.  (Others have heard me retail this story, and I crave their patience.)

I did my Master's at UVa in Charlottesville;  and in those days there was a concert series, whose administration was independent of the University, but which was made welcome to use the Old Cabell Hall auditorium, the Tuesday Evening Concert Series (a clunky enow name that it generally went by TECS).  The guest artist one Tuesday (which happened to be the first Tuesday when I was in the Music Department, and there was a TECS event) was Nigel Kennedy, who was going to play the Bartók solo sonata ... of course I was keen as dammit to hear that piece performed live, and the deal I cut for the privilege of attending the concert gratis was, I would turn pages for the accompanist in the Elgar Sonata.  An unforgettable evening, and I have loved the Elgar Sonata ever since.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Great story, Karl. I'd love to hear the Violin Sonata live at some point. Why can't Tasmin Little and Piers Lane come to my house and play it? ;) ;D

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 23, 2015, 06:45:11 AM
Great story, Karl. I'd love to hear the Violin Sonata live at some point. Why can't Tasmin Little and Piers Lane come to my house and play it? ;) ;D

They are pre-occupied with the three Delius sonatas.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.