Elgar's Hillside

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 02:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sound67

Quote from: Mark on October 20, 2007, 02:30:41 PM
Alas, I cannot accurately detail them. I've heard a couple (in part only) on the radio in recent years. They seemed too ...  yes, soft-focused is the only apt way to describe them. I think Sir Andrew Davis - whom I usually love conducting Elgar - may be among the 'guilty' parties.

Well, I can. Sinopoli!
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Mark

Quote from: sound67 on October 21, 2007, 11:14:53 AM
Well, I can. Sinopoli!

Hurrah! I knew you'd come through on this one. :D

Bonehelm

Speaking of Sinopoli, I just finished listening to his Elgar cello concerto with the Philharmonia orchestra. Don't know who the soloist is but it's on DG. The playing and recording are superb, but the excessive breathing and sometimes even sighing of the performer (must be the cellist) somewhat annoys me. Good sound though.

Mark

Quote from: Bonehelm on October 21, 2007, 03:03:02 PM
... but the excessive breathing and sometimes even sighing of the performer (must be the cellist) somewhat annoys me. Good sound though.

You sure that 'sighing' is not caused by bow action on strings, rather than by the cellist? Whenever I've heard a cello up close in recital, that 'sighing' is usually evident - I look at the performer's face, and there's no visible sign of them making such a noise. ;)

Bonehelm

Quote from: Mark on October 21, 2007, 03:19:37 PM
You sure that 'sighing' is not caused by bow action on strings, rather than by the cellist? Whenever I've heard a cello up close in recital, that 'sighing' is usually evident - I look at the performer's face, and there's no visible sign of them making such a noise. ;)

Maybe the sighing is not really sighing, but the breathing must be. I play in a semi-professional ensemble myself, and I know exactly how instrument players breathe before they play a lyrical phrase. But in this recording the breathing is so prevalent and outstanding that it annoys the listener because it's not a part of the music.

I'm trying to listen to Elgar's depiction of 1918 post-war Britain, not a guy suffocating after running an hour non stop on the treadmill.

71 dB

Quote from: Bonehelm on October 21, 2007, 04:08:07 PM
I'm trying to listen to Elgar's depiction of 1918 post-war Britain,

Don't you mean 1919?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Kullervo

I actually like breathing. It's humming that bothers me.

Bonehelm

sound67

Quote from: Bonehelm on October 21, 2007, 03:03:02 PM
Speaking of Sinopoli, I just finished listening to his Elgar cello concerto with the Philharmonia orchestra. Don't know who the soloist is but it's on DG.

It's Mischa Maisky.
"Vivaldi didn't compose 500 concertos. He composed the same concerto 500 times" - Igor Stravinsky

"Mozart is a menace to musical progress, a relic of rituals that were losing relevance in his own time and are meaningless to ours." - Norman Lebrecht

Bonehelm

Quote from: sound67 on October 21, 2007, 06:13:56 PM
It's Mischa Maisky.

Yeah, him, the athlete who totally overexercises at running. 

71 dB

Quote from: Bonehelm on October 21, 2007, 05:37:38 PM
The war ended in 1918.

So? Elgar finished his Cello Concerto in 1919 and the first performance was in 26 October 1919.

karlhenning

Quote from: 71 dB on October 22, 2007, 01:48:46 AM
So? Elgar finished his Cello Concerto in 1919 and the first performance was in 26 October 1919.

So? The war ended in 1918, and the end of the war was possibly in Elgar's mind as he composed the work.

71 dB

Quote from: karlhenning on October 22, 2007, 06:38:01 AM
So? The war ended in 1918, and the end of the war was possibly in Elgar's mind as he composed the work.

So? Who cares what Elgar had in mind? I suppose nobody on this forum has experienced the end of WWI. How could we understand the musical pointers?

BachQ

Quote from: 71 dB on October 22, 2007, 06:45:31 AM
So? Who cares what Elgar had in mind?

Spoken like a true Elgar scholar ..........

karlhenning

Who cares what Elgar had in mind?

At last we are in complete agreement, Poju  ;D

Bonehelm

So? Who cares what Elgar had in mind? I suppose nobody on this forum has experienced the end of WWI. How could we understand the musical pointers?

Is it just me or is Poju in his mad mind, talking B.S. again?

Thanks for slapping your own face, as a true scholar and admirer of the great composer Edward William Elgar, you don't really give a shit about what was in his mind when he wrote his magnum opus. Then comes some other nonsense about how people need to experience some historical event to know it. Were you alive in Elgar's time? I'd be damned if you were. Then how are you so "knowledgeable" about the man and his music?

Two thumbs up. Way to go.

Kullervo

Has it become fashionable to use 71's real name almost as an insult?

71 dB

Quote from: Bonehelm on October 22, 2007, 07:42:35 AM
Thanks for slapping your own face, as a true scholar and admirer of the great composer Edward William Elgar, you don't really give a shit about what was in his mind when he wrote his magnum opus. Then comes some other nonsense about how people need to experience some historical event to know it. Were you alive in Elgar's time? I'd be damned if you were. Then how are you so "knowledgeable" about the man and his music?

The principles of art are timeless and universal. What Elgar did have in his mind just happened to be triggered by the war. If Elgar lived now he would perhaps use 9/11 for inspiration. I don't know much about Elgar's time but I still enjoy his music.

BachQ

Quote from: karlhenning on October 22, 2007, 06:55:48 AM
At last we are in complete agreement, Poju  ;D

Looks like 71dB pulled another Poju .........

Quote from: Corey on October 22, 2007, 07:53:16 AM
Has it become fashionable to use 71's real name almost as an insult?

We would never do that ........

71 dB

I put my words badly: Of course what Elgar had in mind is relevant for what kind of music he wrote but I mean we don't have much means to know what he had in mind except the obvius grief because of the devastation.