Mozart operas

Started by Harry, September 20, 2007, 02:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmicj

I wanted to bring this recording up:

I have spent the last couple of months listening to Cosi pretty intensively and have found this to be an absolutely stunning rendition.  Harnoncourt (FYI, I am not a fan most of the time) takes things very slowly for the most part, adding a sensuous veneer which really adds a dimension to the score.  The cast is very good.  Charlotte Margiono is not a name I know (I am not really an opera buff) but I think she gives an outstanding performance as Fiordiligi.  Sonics for this recording are excellent.  So that's my reaction.  Then I log on to amazon to check on some other opinions and several reviewers slam the recording(in particular the very good Despina, Anna Steiger.  Anybody here have either positive or negative reactions to this Harnoncourt set?

Have also been listening to the classic Schwarzkopf/HvK set, which I very much like -- totally different take from the Harnoncourt, light, spirited - and am in the middle of the Kuijken/Isokoski live recordings discussed at the beginning of the thread.  (So far I am liking it but would describe it as a second or third version and not as a first one.) 

I also have found Cosi to be the most difficult pre-20th-century opera to absorb in my listening experience.  The level of organization complexity and counterpoint is high, with multisection arias and ensemble pieces laced with Mozart's usual plethora of thematic ideas.  Repays repeated listening, to say the least. 

DarkAngel

Quote from: cosmicj on June 18, 2010, 08:33:41 AM
DarkAngel - That aria is a particular favorite of mine.  Love it.

I wonder if the impish Cherubino character is an alter ego for young Mozart, a daring worldly romantic navigating troubled waters ahead.....beautiful timeless arias written for Cherubino show a special empathy by composer

DarkAngel

Quote from: cosmicj on June 18, 2010, 08:47:02 AM
I wanted to bring this recording up:

I have spent the last couple of months listening to Cosi pretty intensively and have found this to be an absolutely stunning rendition.  Harnoncourt (FYI, I am not a fan most of the time) takes things very slowly for the most part, adding a sensuous veneer which really adds a dimension to the score.  The cast is very good.  Charlotte Margiono is not a name I know (I am not really an opera buff) but I think she gives an outstanding performance as Fiordiligi.  Sonics for this recording are excellent.  So that's my reaction.  Then I log on to amazon to check on some other opinions and several reviewers slam the recording(in particular the very good Despina, Anna Steiger.  Anybody here have either positive or negative reactions to this Harnoncourt set?

Have also been listening to the classic Schwarzkopf/HvK set, which I very much like -- totally different take from the Harnoncourt, light, spirited - and am in the middle of the Kuijken/Isokoski live recordings discussed at the beginning of the thread.  (So far I am liking it but would describe it as a second or third version and not as a first one.) 

I also have found Cosi to be the most difficult pre-20th-century opera to absorb in my listening experience.  The level of organization complexity and counterpoint is high, with multisection arias and ensemble pieces laced with Mozart's usual plethora of thematic ideas.  Repays repeated listening, to say the least.

Cosmic
I love Cosi and have many versions, these are my absolute favorites!

The Jacobs/HM is the best of his recent series for me and my very favorite modern version. For classic version I go with Schwarzkopf & Ludwig with Bohm/EMI (over the older Karajan Schwarzkopf also with EMI) the two sisters have great interaction/chemistry

The DVD/Blu Ray Cosi above is a superb performance and the picture quality is current reference for any Mozart Opera I have seen......stunning picture and sound quality

DarkAngel

Time for another super bargain alert..........

Mozart: Le Nozze di Figaro Mozart: Don Giovanni

Decca Heritage Masters budget price series, 3CD sets with booklet but no libtretto, both mid 1950s mono but very good sound, Amazon sellers $10-12 new

Both operas have Lisa Della Casa and Ceasare Siepi, for Le Nozze we have great female pair with Della Casa - Hilde Gueden, Siepi plays Figaro with panache, and young rogue Cherubino is bright voiced Suzanne Danco

Great buys for Mozart opera fans.......

karlhenning

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 18, 2010, 08:54:35 AM
I wonder if the impish Cherubino character is an alter ego for young Mozart, a daring worldly romantic navigating troubled waters ahead.....beautiful timeless arias written for Cherubino show a special empathy by composer

Very muddy waters, these.

Gurn Blanston

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 25, 2011, 08:00:01 AM
Wow, 18 disks for 34£!!!  That will be worth the s & h!  :)

8)

And if I order it before the 15th, I won't have to pay for S&H. 0:) In any case, it's only a June release, and you can expect the price to come down even further in the US Amazon by then.
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on April 25, 2011, 08:03:23 AM
And if I order it before the 15th, I won't have to pay for S&H. 0:) In any case, it's only a June release, and you can expect the price to come down even further in the US Amazon by then.

If US Amazon even has it at all... :-\  Don't care though, I would get it from the Brits. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurnatron5500 on April 25, 2011, 08:21:15 AM
If US Amazon even has it at all... :-\  Don't care though, I would get it from the Brits. :)

8)

It's all yours for 7,687 Cents.
http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Opern-Gardiner-John-Eliot/dp/B004REXFRA/?tag=goodmusicguideco
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

karlhenning

Thanks, Nav! I've wish-listed that puppy.

Que

I'd rather have a nice and cheap reissue of this one.. ::) :-\

From Gardiner's series, the Don is the most succesfull IMO.

Q

Harry Powell

In my opinion, both sets suffer from lackluster and boring singing.
I'm not an native English speaker, so please feel free to let me know if I'm not expressing myself clearly.

DavidW

I don't know about the recordings discussed, but I'm following up on a rec via netflix (which I think is from Scarpia, but I can't quite recall):

[asin]B0000C5RQF[/asin]

I'm used to listening to the Bohm recording (which I really like despite the dated sound):
[asin]B000001GXI[/asin]

btw listening to that recording brought me once again back to fanaticism (for classical music as a whole) because I was deeply moved by the beauty. 0:)
And if you see this, thank you Knight for recing. :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Que on April 25, 2011, 12:10:51 PM
I'd rather have a nice and cheap reissue of this one.. ::) :-\

I used to have three from this series (Cosi excepted) and despite finding much in them to enjoy initially my enthusiasm seriously waned over time and I ended up dumping them. The principle problem for me was (is) the microscopic sound produced by the string section. It's practically no different in sound than if a single violinist were all that were playing.

Such a sound is absolutely anathema to Mozart - stripping the music to arid, bare-bones morsels isn't justified, else no reason at all for Mozart to have given his operas the robust, full-throated treatment as far as scoring. I think first of how ripe and colorful the wind and brass are made to sound (or should sound) and from there much of the musical argument is filled in by the extroverted singing - which then OUGHT to be augmented by strong string support. IOW, each of Mozart's multi-layered effects given full weight to carry the musical argument to its full fruition.

So.....if Östman views the music as somehow more virile without the strings it's not anything I'm able to come to terms with. For me Fricsay's proto-HIP style is how I've come to most appreciate Mozart's operas.

(Sorry, Q :()

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mandryka

Quote from: haydnfan on April 25, 2011, 04:41:54 PM
I don't know about the recordings discussed, but I'm following up on a rec via netflix (which I think is from Scarpia, but I can't quite recall):

[asin]B0000C5RQF[/asin]

I'm used to listening to the Bohm recording (which I really like despite the dated sound):
[asin]B000001GXI[/asin]

btw listening to that recording brought me once again back to fanaticism (for classical music as a whole) because I was deeply moved by the beauty. 0:)
And if you see this, thank you Knight for recing. :)

I have the Royal Opera  DVD add I saw Keenlyside in it at Covent Garden. While Keenlyside is an excellent Pappegeno, I'm not sure that there's anything special about the production really. Safe.

I think if I could only keep one Magic Flute DVD I would choose the Bergman film.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on April 25, 2011, 07:40:24 PM
I used to have three from this series (Cosi excepted) and despite finding much in them to enjoy initially my enthusiasm seriously waned over time and I ended up dumping them. The principle problem for me was (is) the microscopic sound produced by the string section. It's practically no different in sound than if a single violinist were all that were playing.

Such a sound is absolutely anathema to Mozart - stripping the music to arid, bare-bones morsels isn't justified, else no reason at all for Mozart to have given his operas the robust, full-throated treatment as far as scoring. I think first of how ripe and colorful the wind and brass are made to sound (or should sound) and from there much of the musical argument is filled in by the extroverted singing - which then OUGHT to be augmented by strong string support. IOW, each of Mozart's multi-layered effects given full weight to carry the musical argument to its full fruition.

So.....if Östman views the music as somehow more virile without the strings it's not anything I'm able to come to terms with. For me Fricsay's proto-HIP style is how I've come to most appreciate Mozart's operas.

(Sorry, Q :()

Thanks for you comments! :) I still feel attracted of having a series with more intimate approach, next to Jacob's more truly theatrical take. If the price would be right.

And you're right about Fricsay, he is exptional within the Old School - he and Bruno Walter (sadly we have to do with a few very old live recordings) really "got" the true Mozartian spirit before HIP set in (and to a lesser extent Krips).

Q

DavidW

I have to take that back, netflix is not shipping me Die Zauberflote, they skipped over it in favor of Wagner's Lohengrin!  Well next week maybe I'll get a chance to watch that Mozart opera.

yashin

Oh for the DVD version i would choose the DVD from Zurich with Nicholas Harnoncourt conducting.  Harnoncourt conducts beautifully in my opinion. Christoph Strehl is a wonderful Tamino -just as he was on the Abbado cd.   I really love his voice. Ruben Drole was a new name to me and he makes a terrific Papagano. The modern interpretation might not be to everyones taste- but you know i was gripped from start to finish and for once i really understood this opera.  Some productions i have seen dragged a little even though i love this opera. Not this one.  I really don't think i could find a better version on DVD -and therefore have not bothered  to buy other versions since.

I would like to see the recent Met version (was it in English) i thought this had been released but have not found it yet and i have yet to see the Kenneth Brannagh film of this opera- i did see some clips on youtube but that didn't exactly excite me.