Mozart operas

Started by Harry, September 20, 2007, 02:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Harry on October 12, 2007, 06:58:39 AM
No, he will not, if I ask him kindly. :)

You are too optimistic, Harry. Poju is born to hijack threads.

Exhibit A:

Quote from: 71 dB on October 12, 2007, 07:26:23 AM
Harry said: "I bored to the bone."
I said: "I get easily bored."

To me these are similar opinions. In fact, Harry's opinion is stronger.

Ah, yes! Another thread which is . . . All About Poju!

Somehow, it's only Poju himself who never gets tired of these dog-&-pony shows.

71 dB

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on October 12, 2007, 07:08:34 AM
And don't assume, or rather presume, that your tastes range much wider than most of the other contributors on the board, just because you profess a liking for lesser known composers, such as Dittersdorf. My tastes take in all musical forms, from works for single instruments to works requiring huge forces, from Lieder to opera, from Dowland to composers still writing today, such as James MacMillan, John Adams and Steve Reich. I also enjoy music from several different countries and continents. In my collection I have works by lesser known composers such as,  Martucci,Caturia, Roldan, Wolf- Ferrari. I enjoy the music of Takemitsu,Messiaen and Rautavaara, as well as the music of Byrd and Tallis. I enjoy the operas of Monteverdi as much as those of Verdi. Have you heard Franisco Valls' Mass "Scala Aretina"? What a glorious piece that is. What about the Solo Violin Sonatas of Eugene Ysyae? It is against this background that I believe that from Le Nozze di Figaro onwards, Mozart wrote some of the very greatest operas ever written. As I mentioned once before, he single handedly changed the course of operatic history. I doubt Dittersdorf's influence was quite as profound.

That's a wide list in itself and shows a significantly wider taste than most people have. However, I am not intimidated by a list like this. Let's have a look at my taste:

Classical music
I have dedicated discs for about 125 composers + music on CD by many many more. These composers range from Alfonso X and Palestrina to Torke and Pärt.

Electronic (underground) music
Hundreds and hundreds of artists from numerous genres like house, trance, hardcore, breakbeat, ragga, jungle, drum 'n' bass, neurofunk, speed garage and idm. I'd take me a day to list the artists here.

Popular music/soft rock
Not an area many respectable artists but I keep in very high esteem Standfast, Briskeby, Bel Canto, Logh, Kroyt, Colin McIntyre aka Mull Historical Society, Lowgold, Kashmir. I also like Blue States, Goldfrapp, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Paul Simon and Alex Lloyd.

New age/world music
Very broad area of different genres. Favorites include Ranga, Bhakta, John Balint, Hector Zazou, Harold Budd, Brian Eno, Sheila Chandra, Wayne Gratz, Andreas Vollenweider and Axiom of Choice.

Jazz/improvised music/Funk/movie music
Keith Jarrett, Brad Mehldau, Pat Metheny, Curtis Mayfield, John Williams and Lesley Barber.

Now, beat that!  ;D

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

locrian

Que

Quote from: 71 dB on October 12, 2007, 08:34:54 AM
Now, beat that!  ;D

Poju, just in case you didn't notice: this thread is about Mozart Operas:P

Q

karlhenning

The merits of the mature operas hardly need any advocacy among discriminating listeners . . . but are there early Mozart operas that anyone likes well?  I don't think I've heard any, apart from the Overture to The Impresario . . . .

Tsaraslondon

That's a wide list in itself and shows a significantly wider taste than most people have. However, I am not intimidated by a list like this. Let's have a look at my taste:

Classical music
I have dedicated discs for about 125 composers + music on CD by many many more. These composers range from Alfonso X and Palestrina to Torke and Pärt.

Hundreds and hundreds of artists from numerous genres like house, trance, hardcore, breakbeat, ragga, jungle, drum 'n' bass, neurofunk, speed garage and idm. I'd take me a day to list the artists here.

Popular music/soft rock
Not an area many respectable artists but I keep in very high esteem Standfast, Briskeby, Bel Canto, Logh, Kroyt, Colin McIntyre aka Mull Historical Society, Lowgold, Kashmir. I also like Blue States, Goldfrapp, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Paul Simon and Alex Lloyd.

New age/world music
Very broad area of different genres. Favorites include Ranga, Bhakta, John Balint, Hector Zazou, Harold Budd, Brian Eno, Sheila Chandra, Wayne Gratz, Andreas Vollenweider and Axiom of Choice.

Keith Jarrett, Brad Mehldau, Pat Metheny, Curtis Mayfield, John Williams and Lesley Barber.

Now, beat that!  ;D

Well I only listed some of my classical likes. I didn't even start on the rest of my collection, which is also very wide by any standards.

However, I see that, as usual, you totally miss my point. I was just using the examples as an illustration. Your puerile brand of point scoring is really very tiresome.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

71 dB

Quote from: karlhenning on October 12, 2007, 08:53:12 AM
The merits of the mature operas hardly need any advocacy among discriminating listeners . . . but are there early Mozart operas that anyone likes well?  I don't think I've heard any, apart from the Overture to The Impresario . . . .

I have heard all Mozart's operas and I even prefer many early operas to the later ones as they have more baroque feel and are somehow more ambitious. Mozart's first operas are amazingly good. Der Schauspieldirektor is imo Mozart's worst opera. I have to listen them more to deside my favorite.

Mozart

Quote from: Harry on October 12, 2007, 04:46:12 AM
Until now, I like the Entfuhrung aus dem Serail best....................................

Are these the first operas you are listening to?

Entfuhrung is probably the most accessible of Mozart's operas. I wonder why its not more popular?

Mozart

Quote from: longears on October 12, 2007, 06:27:05 AM
Several aspects of the story are amusing, but it's the music, with all the duets and trios and sextets and so on, that really floats my boat.
Speaking of sextets...
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/dUR8KHyFH5g

knight66

Quote from: HandelHooligan on October 12, 2007, 12:01:20 PM
Entfuhrung is probably the most accessible of Mozart's operas. I wonder why its not more popular?

I come late to this party, or tussle, or whatever it is.

I agree that it is a mystery as to why Entfuhrung is not performed more often. Perhaps the whole Islamic/Woman's place in life issues make it a bit of a hot potato. It is life enhancing to listen to that seemingly inexhaustible stream of inventiveness that Mozart displays.
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Don

Classical music

Popular music/soft rock

New age/world music

Now, beat that!  ;D

With all the time you must spend on jazz, new age, pop and electronic music, it's no surprise that you're not the brightest bulb on the street concerning classical music.

Also, there's nothing to beat.  I just have to satisfy my own musical pursuits.

Harry

Quote from: knight on October 13, 2007, 11:37:28 AM
I come late to this party, or tussle, or whatever it is.

I agree that it is a mystery as to why Entfuhrung is not performed more often. Perhaps the whole Islamic/Woman's place in life issues make it a bit of a hot potato. It is life enhancing to listen to that seemingly inexhaustible stream of inventiveness that Mozart displays.

That's exactly the reason why I love this opera, my first I might add. :)

71 dB

Quote from: Don on October 13, 2007, 11:55:58 AM
With all the time you must spend on jazz, new age, pop and electronic music, it's no surprise that you're not the brightest bulb on the street concerning classical music.

What the heck do you mean? Abstract and complex electric music like Autechre has trained my ears to understand complex classical music with ease. I must also say that classical music gets about half of my attention.

I wonder how bright you are concerning electronic music.  ;D

Try this.

Harry

Well considering that I have all Mozart operas at home, and me liking Die Entfuhrung most, after hearing others allready listed in this thread, which one could I like in equal measure or better.
In other words, which one should I play next?
Played the Entfuhrung several times now, and it really grows on me.
Suggestions please.

Mozart

Quote from: Harry on October 13, 2007, 12:38:13 PM
Well considering that I have all Mozart operas at home, and me liking Die Entfuhrung most, after hearing others allready listed in this thread, which one could I like in equal measure or better.
In other words, which one should I play next?
Played the Entfuhrung several times now, and it really grows on me.
Suggestions please.

Well the magic flute...duh!

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on October 13, 2007, 12:37:16 PM
What the heck do you mean? Abstract and complex electric music like Autechre has trained my ears to understand complex classical music with ease. I must also say that classical music gets about half of my attention.

I wonder how bright you are concerning electronic music.  ;D

Try this.

Again Poju, how many times must I remind you and others too, this is a thread about Mozart operas, and I want to learn from you about this, so please apart from a joke here and there, discuss the music from Mozart.

Harry

Quote from: HandelHooligan on October 13, 2007, 12:41:48 PM
Well the magic flute...duh!

Yes, well have to figure out which performance!
I asked info about the Norrington recording but no one seems to know it!
Andy said Marinner is a good idea, and maybe I will try that one too.
Gerdiner I tried from a friend and that is a no go, concerning authentic, I simply did not like it.

Mozart

Quote from: Harry on October 13, 2007, 12:46:57 PM
Yes, well have to figure out which performance!
I asked info about the Norrington recording but no one seems to know it!
Andy said Marinner is a good idea, and maybe I will try that one too.
Gerdiner I tried from a friend and that is a no go, concerning authentic, I simply did not like it.
Yes, judging from Norrington's Don Giovanni, I never want to listen to him again. Marinner or Solti is the safe bet, but I think the magic needs to be watched to be fully enjoyed. Get the Levine dvd. I once watched this dvd from netflix that had such amazing sets and costumes, but I can't remember it...I've been left curious for years about it, maybe someone can help me? All I remember was papageno was in a full on bird suit (big help I know).

Ohh also, I have these lectures from this guy named Greenberg, they are very helpful. He has 24 lectures about Mozart's operas but focuses on magic flute and cosi fan.

Harry

Quote from: HandelHooligan on October 13, 2007, 01:00:19 PM
Yes, judging from Norrington's Don Giovanni, I never want to listen to him again. Marinner or Solti is the safe bet, but I think the magic needs to be watched to be fully enjoyed. Get the Levine dvd. I once watched this dvd from netflix that had such amazing sets and costumes, but I can't remember it...I've been left curious for years about it, maybe someone can help me? All I remember was papageno was in a full on bird suit (big help I know).

You must realize that I am not looking for a big bones performance. I happen to like authentic performances, and Solti or Levine are totally out of the question, for they have female voices that scare the hell out of me.
Marinner I heard some 20 years ago, and I found it to be a nice performance, no idea what I think now of it, but avoiding Norrington, why no, I won't.

bhodges

For The Magic Flute, you might check out the classic Klemperer/Philharmonia recording, with some astounding work by Lucia Popp as the Queen of the Night, Gundula Janowitz as Pamina, and Walter Berry as Papageno.  It has been re-released on EMI's "Great Recordings of the Century" series.  I have no idea if the voices will appeal to you, but to me it's worth the entire recording to hear Popp sail through "Der Hölle Rache."

Edit: just saw that knight had recommended this earlier, even though as he notes, the recording omits the spoken dialogue.  But that may not matter to you when listening to a CD (vs. viewing it on a DVD). 

--Bruce