Mozart piano sonatas

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 05:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel

Quote from: LapsangS on November 16, 2008, 02:44:04 PM
I warmly recommend Glenn Gould's recordings of these sonatas  8)

Gould could never be your only set since he actively tries to shake things up with his individual take on the sonatas, some think it is all a joke on the listener with all the dramatic tempo variations compared to straight reading. I really enjoy these as a way to stretch the envelope and see what can be done and still make some sense..........

There does seem to be a method to this madness, found this short video clip where Gould explains his style with Mozart
and should help shed some light on things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6Zc7P6NsZ8

Herman

I believe Gould went on the record to say he didn't care for Mozart's sonatas.

Maybe CBS wanted a Mozart LP out of him anyway.

Anyhow he's the last pianist on earth to go to for Mozart.

LapsangS

Yeah, I was partially joking. But Gould shows that you can actually play Mozart in a modern way. Most recordings of Mozart sound the same. Right now I am listening to Viviana Sofronitzki recording of K488 (HIP) She has made an excellent set of all the Mozart Concerti including K37-41 and K107 plus the 2 and 3 piano concerti.

Herman

Quote from: LapsangS on November 19, 2008, 01:43:08 AM
Most recordings of Mozart sound the same.

depends whether you're listening

tr. pianist

Would it be right to say that some pianists try to copy what they hear on recordings of great and acclaimed pianists. But if one tries to play originally on purpose or calculate the originality it doesn't work too.

I have been thinking about it. Each great pianist has its own voice and expresses his own views and feelings.
I am not sure I like Gould's performance on Mozart.
I used to love his Bach a lot.
Whatever people think about Gould one should agree that he is a great pianist and has his own voice.

Herman

Quote from: tr. pianist on November 20, 2008, 09:44:49 AM

Whatever people think about Gould one should agree that he is a great pianist and has his own voice.

I'm not sure. Sometimes I think he was just an attention getter in his later years. Acting crazy to keep the public's interest. That's no the same as havng your own voice.

Bulldog

Quote from: Herman on November 20, 2008, 10:09:46 AM
I'm not sure. Sometimes I think he was just an attention getter in his later years. Acting crazy to keep the public's interest. That's no the same as havng your own voice.

Well, he sure had his own voice concerning Bach.

jwinter

Yes, now if he would just keep his voice down so we could hear the piano...  ;D
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Herman

Quote from: Bulldog on November 20, 2008, 10:14:20 AM
Well, he sure had his own voice concerning Bach.

Yes he did, though I'm not really sure it's the voice you want to listen to if you want to know about JSBach.

Bulldog

Quote from: Herman on November 20, 2008, 11:19:40 AM
Yes he did, though I'm not really sure it's the voice you want to listen to if you want to know about JSBach.

It's one of the voices I find compelling.

Josquin des Prez

Casadesus and Moravec is all i ever needed for this repertory. Their recordings are few, but precious. I also have the complete set by Christoph Eschenbach for the early sonatas, but i rarely listen to those so i'm not too picky here.

mn dave

I had Uchida. I have Wurtz. Barely listen(ed) to either of them.

Que

Quote from: mn dave on November 20, 2008, 12:20:13 PM

Brautigam is available at iTunes...  ::) 0:)

Q

mn dave

Herman

Maybe this is not the place to talk about your conquests. ;)

mn dave

Holden

The Wurtz went into my car player and stayed there for 6 months - that's how much I value it. it's also on my MP3 player and gets regular listenings.
Cheers

Holden

mn dave

Quote from: Holden on November 20, 2008, 10:40:51 PM
The Wurtz went into my car player and stayed there for 6 months - that's how much I value it. it's also on my MP3 player and gets regular listenings.

Hm. Maybe I should stick it in my vehicle.

prémont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on November 16, 2008, 10:55:43 AM
I'm curious if somebody knows to Alexei Lubimov.

He's one of my favorite fortepianists, especially when Mozart is concerned.

Lubimov recorded the complete piano sonatas in the nineties; but currently that integral seems largely forgotten by critics and public; I don't know the reason why.

I got his Mozart set a fortnight ago, and haven´t but listened to CD I (due to lack of time), which I find rather compelling, the interpretation being somwhere between the rather agressive Brautigam and the more expressive Badura-Skoda.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

I agree, premont.

Lubimov is a rather aristocratic player and his set is complementary with the Badura-Skoda's one.

I don't like Brautigam playing Mozart, but I have only his set devoted to the variations.

This is a bit strange because I really enjoy the Haydn's works played by Brautigam, especially The Seven Last Words.