Mozart piano sonatas

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 05:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 21, 2010, 07:31:08 AM
I don't need the links. I have many Mozart recordings by both pianists...love them both...something you'll never understand, I realize.

No, i don't understand, since to my hears Uchida is not only wrong in her approach but she fails to bring out the most salient elements of the music. The details she focuses in are among the most arbitrary and superficial ones.

Bulldog

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on May 21, 2010, 07:47:48 AM
No, i don't understand, since to my hears Uchida is not only wrong in her approach but she fails to bring out the most salient elements of the music. The details she focuses in are among the most arbitrary and superficial ones.

Seems to me that you love to wrap everything up into neat little packages, and you've certainly done that with Uchida. 

Mandryka

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 21, 2010, 07:32:28 AM
Barenboim/Berlin's last movement of 22 is extraordinary, I think. And Scarpia is right: very romanticized Mozart...but hey, Wolfie can take it  ;)

Sarge

Thanks -- I'll check it out.

I like Mozart played on the slow side. Playing it quick seems to limit the variety and depth of feelings communicated. You know -- forward rush and turbulence is the only thing I can get out of Yudina's Mozart.

When the sonatas are played more slowly, what's communicated goes deeper because it's easier to savour the relationships between the notes.

Gilels and Richter and Schnabel Fischer seem to me to have understood this, as did Landowska and Horszowsky.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Que

Great news! :)

Kristian Bezuidenhout (his last name is a neighbourhood here in The Hague BTW) seems to have embarked on a Mozart solo pianoforte cycle:

Samples at jpc

This might become a nice alternative to Brautigam's cycle, which - apart from Van Oort's cycle on Brilliant - reigns supreme in the HIPPI (historically informed performances on period instruments) field IMO.

Alexei Lubimov's older cycle (Erato) is quite nice, but seems to me a bit outdated (in tems of HIP) or slightly out of sink interpretatively/idiomatically and ultimately fails to draw me in. I think he does much better in Schubert.

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on June 13, 2010, 01:42:05 AM

Kristian Bezuidenhout (his last name is a neighbourhood here in The Hague BTW) seems to have embarked on a Mozart solo pianoforte cycle:

Samples at jpc

This might become a nice alternative to Brautigam's cycle, which - apart from Van Oort's cycle on Brilliant - reigns supreme in the HIPPI (historically informed performances on period instruments) field IMO.

Alexei Lubimov's older cycle (Erato) is quite nice, but seems to me a bit outdated (in tems of HIP) or slightly out of sink interpretatively/idiomatically and ultimately fails to draw me in. I think he does much better in Schubert.

Q

Speaking of Brautigam, I thought he partners with Isabelle van Keulen in concerts quite often.  Unfortunately, Isabelle van Keulen does not seem to have many recordings out there.  A few that I am interested in appear to be OOP ...

Herman

Quote from: Mandryka on May 21, 2010, 07:14:46 AM
Well that's not what Herman actually said, I think. It maybe what he meant.

Of cours I didn't mean pianist should "sprint" through Mozart. I used to like Uchida's sonatas; now I generally don't, for their romanticizing. Perhaps it's useful to keep in mind that I did enjoy them for maybe ten years. That's a long time.

Now I prefer Endres and Klien; the more clipped style.

Bogey

Quote from: Que on June 13, 2010, 01:42:05 AM

Samples at jpc

Q

Q,
Might you sneak me a link where I could sample Brautigam's cycle?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Que

Quote from: Bogey on June 15, 2010, 10:26:46 AM
Q,
Might you sneak me a link where I could sample Brautigam's cycle?

Have a look here, Bill  :): http://www.emusic.com/artist/MP3-Download/11631513.html
These are samples of the individual issues, of course it is now a box set:

Q

Bogey

Quote from: Que on June 15, 2010, 08:07:33 PM
Have a look here, Bill  :): http://www.emusic.com/artist/MP3-Download/11631513.html
These are samples of the individual issues, of course it is now a box set:

Q

Thanks, friend!
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Oh, immediately I like this.  More so than the Bezuidenhout .  Just a personal preference.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on June 16, 2010, 05:24:52 AM
Oh, immediately I like this.  More so than the Bezuidenhout .  Just a personal preference.

I have all the Brautigam work, but not the Bezuidenhout, so I can only say that Brautigam seems to have immediate appeal to people who are more used to the sound of a modern piano. He makes a nice entry level listening for people who are just getting into PI/fortepiano. He is rightfully very successful for that reason. I am pleased to have that set.

Most of my favorites are more obscure though, and Bezuidenhout may well fall among them. Semmerjian on ATMA is one I really like, although dozens wouldn't. He has the most staccato playing style I ever heard, which is perfect for Mozart but takes some getting used to. If you feel daring, you should look into one of his disks... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 16, 2010, 05:34:26 AM
... I can only say that Brautigam seems to have immediate appeal to people who are more used to the sound of a modern piano. He makes a nice entry level listening for people who are just getting into PI/fortepiano. He is rightfully very successful for that reason. I am pleased to have that set.

Exactly my own point of view.

Curiously, Paul Badura-Skoda has not been mentioned.

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 16, 2010, 05:34:26 AM
I have all the Brautigam work, but not the Bezuidenhout, so I can only say that Brautigam seems to have immediate appeal to people who are more used to the sound of a modern piano. He makes a nice entry level listening for people who are just getting into PI/fortepiano.

8)

Hello.  My name is Bill and I am just getting into PI/fortepiano.

MN Dave

PI?

Magnum? Spade? Archer?

Bogey

I believe Gurn is a Mannix or Cannon man.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on June 16, 2010, 05:45:49 AM
Exactly my own point of view.

Curiously, Paul Badura-Skoda has not been mentioned.

I was going to in that last post, but got caught short for time. Also I don't find the box I have, on Naive, to be available right now. In any case, Skoda is playing a Schantz fortepiano on that set. It is excellent overall, and why not? Skoda literally wrote the book on interpreting Mozart on the fortepiano:

In addition to Brautigam, Lubimov and Skoda, a 4th complete fortepiano cycle that I have is Bilson. I have only listened to it once, so not time to comment, but I had a favorable first impression. There are literally dozens of single disks out there too, Mozart can be a fortepiano wonderland for those who enjoy hearing different interps and instruments. :)

Quote from: Bogey on June 16, 2010, 07:52:48 AM
Hello.  My name is Bill and I am just getting into PI/fortepiano.

:D  I knew that, I really think that set will be perfect for you, Bill. He has one of the nicest sounding fortepianos in town and plays the heck out of it. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: MN Dave on June 16, 2010, 07:55:37 AM
PI?

Magnum? Spade? Archer?

Oh, Dude! ::)  I do like all those guys, as well as Mannix & Cannon, but PI means Period Instrument. It is a specialized corner of HIP. The guys that want to say that von Karajan is a precursor of HIP can do that all day long, we don't care, he will never be a PIon. :D

8)

Scarpia

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 16, 2010, 08:06:42 AM
Oh, Dude! ::)  I do like all those guys, as well as Mannix & Cannon, but PI means Period Instrument. It is a specialized corner of HIP. The guys that want to say that von Karajan is a precursor of HIP can do that all day long, we don't care, he will never be a PIon. :D

Hmmmm.  He even played the harpsichord in the BPO recording of the Handel Op. 6 concerti.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scarpia on June 16, 2010, 08:09:22 AM
Hmmmm.  He even played the harpsichord in the BPO recording of the Handel Op. 6 concerti.

And what were the BPO playing? :)

8)

Bogey