Mozart piano sonatas

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 05:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco

I have been a huge Law & Order fan, and whenever I see the name Paul Baduda-Skoda I can't help but think of the character of the forensic psychiatrist that works with the DA's office, Paul Skoda. 

I know, pretty silly, but I'm a pretty superficial guy, deep down.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 16, 2010, 08:03:21 AM
Also I don't find the box I have, on Naive, to be available right now.

AMAZON

:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on June 16, 2010, 08:23:17 AM

AMAZON

Yep, that's it. The second time today that Amazon's search engine has let me down. Anyway, this box won't let you down, it is very nice indeed. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

I notice that for once the mp3 is really worth it-- $9 compared to $40! :D

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 16, 2010, 09:00:49 AM
Yep, that's it. The second time today that Amazon's search engine has let me down. Anyway, this box won't let you down, it is very nice indeed. :)

8)

One letter off in your search and you will enter no-man's land. 
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on June 16, 2010, 09:09:40 AM
One letter off in your search and you will enter no-man's land.

Too true, amigo. And yet, that search gave me the book I pictured and pages of single disks. :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

George

Quote from: Bogey on June 16, 2010, 07:52:48 AM
Hello.  My name is Bill and I am just getting into PI/fortepiano.

Step One - Buy the Brautigam.  8)

Franco

Quote from: DavidW on June 16, 2010, 09:05:36 AM
I notice that for once the mp3 is really worth it-- $9 compared to $40! :D

The MP3 is only one disk of the set.  I hate when they do that.   :(

Coopmv

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 16, 2010, 08:10:58 AM
And what were the BPO playing? :)

8)

Check this out.  This set is in my Handel collection and has been long OOP ...

Coopmv

Quote from: George on June 16, 2010, 11:58:39 AM
Step One - Buy the Brautigam.  8)

George,  Do you like Brautigam?  I don't think I have a single recording by him ...

George

Quote from: Coopmv on June 17, 2010, 07:01:14 PM
George,  Do you like Brautigam?  I don't think I have a single recording by him ...

I do like him. I need more time to get used to the fortepianos sound though. I'm not sure if I'll ever get there, but I will certainly try. 

prémont

Quote from: Scarpia on June 16, 2010, 08:09:22 AM
Hmmmm.  He even played the harpsichord in the BPO recording of the Handel Op. 6 concerti.

Well, harpsichord by name, but probably a Neupert "Bach" or something alike, but certainly not a period instrument. :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 16, 2010, 08:03:21 AM
In addition to Brautigam, Lubimov and Skoda, a 4th complete fortepiano cycle that I have is Bilson. I have only listened to it once, so not time to comment, but I had a favorable first impression. There are literally dozens of single disks out there too, Mozart can be a fortepiano wonderland for those who enjoy hearing different interps and instruments. :)

:D  I knew that, I really think that set will be perfect for you, Bill. He has one of the nicest sounding fortepianos in town and plays the heck out of it. :)

I only have the sets of Badura-Skoda and Lubimov, probably because they totally fulfill my taste in Mozart. I have not considered Brautigam because I disliked his variations. Anyway, that Canadian boy (Ludwig Semerjian) on Atma looks quite interesting, the same that complete cycle by Colin Tilney on Doremi.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on June 18, 2010, 06:20:38 AM
I only have the sets of Badura-Skoda and Lubimov, probably because they totally fulfill my taste in Mozart. I have not considered Brautigam because I disliked his variations. Anyway, that Canadian boy (Ludwig Semerjian) on Atma looks quite interesting, the same that complete cycle by Colin Tilney on Doremi.

I think Semerjian is probably closer to "authentic" than anyone else I've heard. I know you are familiar with Beethoven's comments about Mozart's playing, that he was very staccato and "choppy" as he put it. I have also read quite a lot else that tells me that the normal playing style tended to be quite articulated, and that legato, which is the norm from Beethoven forward, was rather a rarity in the 1770's & '80's. It is my suspicion (I haven't read anything that addresses it so strictly me) that this is because they mainly learned to play harpsichords, where legato was really not in the cards. So they carried this over to the fortepiano. It was the generation that grew up with the fortepiano that seriously got into legato playing.  Those Semerjian disks are not outrageously expensive, you might consider to give one a try. Certainly different!  :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 18, 2010, 06:26:55 AM
It is my suspicion (I haven't read anything that addresses it so strictly me) that this is because they mainly learned to play harpsichords, where legato was really not in the cards. So they carried this over to the fortepiano. It was the generation that grew up with the fortepiano that seriously got into legato playing. 

I think exactly the same. Curiously, yesterday I tried to explain something similar about Tarantino: He is a director who grew up watching video and TV movies and, therefore, his ideas his style on the cinema are necessarily different to the previous generation, which grew up "forced" to go to the theater to watch a movie. Mozart probably grew up with a harpsichord or a clavichord at home and for that reason his approach to the fortepiano (and obviously his interpretative technique) should have been different to the next generation.  :)

Antoine Marchand

Colin Tilney is a reputed musician in the field of the period performance, but his Mozart cycle is rarely commented anywhere. Anyway, I like what I listen to on  AMAZON:

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: George on June 18, 2010, 06:31:51 AM
Semerjian Mozart samples can be heard here.

Thanks, George. I find it very difficult to dislike anything about these performances. I have 2 of the disks, I am thinking of getting the remainder. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on June 18, 2010, 06:48:12 AM
I think exactly the same. Curiously, yesterday I tried to explain something similar about Tarantino: He is a director who grew up watching video and TV movies and, therefore, his ideas his style on the cinema are necessarily different to the previous generation, which grew up "forced" to go to the theater to watch a movie. Mozart probably grew up with a harpsichord or a clavichord at home and for that reason his approach to the fortepiano (and obviously his interpretative technique) should have been different to the next generation.  :)

Probably an apt analogy, Antoine. Beethoven started out with a clavier, but he was still very young when he gained access to a fortepiano. Of the various keyboard instruments available earlier, I can think of only the organ where legato would be rewarded. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on June 18, 2010, 07:04:32 AM
Colin Tilney is a reputed musician in the field of the period performance, but his Mozart cycle is rarely commented anywhere. Anyway, I like what I listen to on  AMAZON:

8)

Looks interesting. I don't think I have a single disk of his, sad to say. I could invest in 1 of these; pity they don't have a box set available. :-\

8)