Mozart piano sonatas

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 05:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel

Quote from: George on June 16, 2010, 11:58:39 AM
Step One - Buy the Brautigam.  8) 

Indeed

Mentioned by many here already in this thread, an absolute essential purchase for Mozart sonatas........but don't wait forever the BIS boxset is becoming hard to find and very rare on the used market like Amazon. Good set to discover the magic of forte piano sound (Anton Walter replica instrument)

Scarpia

Quote from: DarkAngel on June 18, 2010, 07:27:41 AM

Indeed

Mentioned by many here already in this thread, an absolute essential purchase for Mozart sonatas........but don't wait forever the BIS boxset is becoming hard to find and very rare on the used market like Amazon. Good set to discover the magic of forte piano sound (Anton Walter replica instrument)

I have the set, which is a combination of two BIS box sets (sonatas and variations).  I have only listened to a very limited extent, but find it superb so far.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 18, 2010, 07:17:41 AM
Looks interesting. I don't think I have a single disk of his, sad to say. I could invest in 1 of these; pity they don't have a box set available. :-\

8)

If you're interested, CD Universe has the best prices and you can choose any of the six CDs because all of them are available.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on June 18, 2010, 09:43:40 AM
If you're interested, CD Universe has the best prices and you can choose any of the six CDs because all of them are available.  :)

Cool. I do a lot of business with them, so I'll check it out there. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Scarpia

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on June 18, 2010, 09:43:40 AM

I paid 8 bucks for a new copy of one disc from the series from Amazon Marketplace.  (The one with the Gigue.)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scarpia on June 18, 2010, 09:56:38 AM
I paid 8 bucks for a new copy of one disc from the series from Amazon Marketplace.  (The one with the Gigue.)

What did you think of it, Scarp? Other than the good price, that is. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Scarpia

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 18, 2010, 10:04:37 AM
What did you think of it, Scarp? Other than the good price, that is. :)

8)

Hasn't arrived yet.   Excepts sound good.   8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scarpia on June 18, 2010, 10:05:20 AM
Hasn't arrived yet.   Excepts sound good.   8)

Ah, a new acquisition. OK, well I hope you will drop a brief comment here when you get a chance. I've got so many irons in the fire that I need to hold off until compelling evidence shows the error of my ways. :D

8)

sTisTi

How about this disc?

It's budget priced and contains the following:
Fantasia in C minor, K. 475
Piano Sonata No. 14 in C minor, K. 457
Fantasia in D minor, K. 397   
12 Variations in C major on Ah vous dirai-je, maman, K. 265   
Rondo in A minor, K. 511

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Wolfgang-Amadeus-Mozart-Klaviersonate-Nr-14-c-moll-KV-457/hnum/4785880

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sTisTi on June 18, 2010, 12:36:34 PM
How about this disc?

Rondo in A minor, K. 511

Oh, I'd give it a try. Immerseel is a very reliably good fortepianist. And other than those tedious variations, the music lineup contains some favorites. Thanks for digging that up. :)

8)

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: sTisTi on June 18, 2010, 12:36:34 PM
How about this disc?

Rondo in A minor, K. 511

You are fooling us, sTisTi: That's not the budget priced version; the cheap version is exactly the same, but the cover says "plus":

;)

SonicMan46

OK, Guys - coming into this updated thread late, but there now some additional 'period instrument' offerings that I was not aware of!   :o

Presently, I have 3 complete sets of these works, i.e. Brautigam, Uchida, & Wurtz - now I really like Brautigam for a fortepiano set & Uchida for a more modern approach (despite some mixed opinions) - Wurtz if good but I could replace her w/ another fortepiano set (STORAGE always an issue w/ me!) - so will be quite interested in how the recommendations develop here - Dave  :D

George

Quote from: SonicMan on June 18, 2010, 05:05:38 PM
OK, Guys - coming into this updated thread late, but there now some additional 'period instrument' offerings that I was not aware of!   :o

Presently, I have 3 complete sets of these works, i.e. Brautigam, Uchida, & Wurtz - now I really like Brautigam for a fortepiano set & Uchida for a more modern approach (despite some mixed opinions) - Wurtz if good but I could replace her w/ another fortepiano set (STORAGE always an issue w/ me!) - so will be quite interested in how the recommendations develop here - Dave  :D

Personally, I'd trade in the Wurtz for one of Kraus's sets, either the mono on on Music and Arts or the stereo one on SONY. Her style is very different from Uchida, though like Uchida, she plays a modern piano, providing a nice contrast. Sorry if this complicates things further.  :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Coopmv on June 17, 2010, 07:01:14 PM
George,  Do you like Brautigam?  I don't think I have a single recording by him ...

Stuart - not George, but plenty of us own Brautigam recordings, assuming that the fortepiano is fine w/ you?  :D

Personally, and in addition to the Mozart Piano Sonatas, I have the Brautigam recordings shown below, so you can start w/ a few or w/ many -  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan on June 18, 2010, 05:05:38 PM

Dave, I would seriously get the Badura-Skoda. As Antoine mentioned, his 2 cycles, Brautigam and Badura, complement each other very well indeed. I am not sure that one could consider that an expensive set; when I bought it 2 years ago (At Classical Music Superstore, BTW, a Marketplace vendor) I paid $32 for it. For a 6 disk box, that's a damn fair price. And excellent music making besides. :)

8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 16, 2010, 09:00:49 AM
Yep, that's it. The second time today that Amazon's search engine has let me down. Anyway, this box won't let you down, it is very nice indeed. :)
RE:  Paul Badura-Skoda

Hello Gurn - assume that you own the box w/ Badura-Skoda - I have him in the Schubert Piano Sonatas (and enjoy!) - now, I was reading Scott Morrison's Amazon review of the Mozart box HERE - Scott downgraded (just slightly) the sound of the fortepiano & the variable quality of the sound recordings (done over 12 yrs or so, I believe) - now, I'm not sure Scott is into these PI performances like some of us, but would be curious about your thoughts on his comments?

I've pretty much decided to replace the Wurtz box w/ a PI set, but JUST one, so want to acquire consistent and fairly uniform sound engineering - thanks all for any addition opinions - Dave  :D

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 19, 2010, 07:46:00 AM
Dave, I would seriously get the Badura-Skoda. As Antoine mentioned, his 2 cycles, Brautigam and Badura, complement each other very well indeed. I am not sure that one could consider that an expensive set; when I bought it 2 years ago (At Classical Music Superstore, BTW, a Marketplace vendor) I paid $32 for it. For a 6 disk box, that's a damn fair price. And excellent music making besides. :)

I'm sorry, Gurn, but I didn't say that; on the contrary, I have serious problems with Brautigam in Mozart. I love his Haydn, but I am not in tune, I don't understand his Mozart or his Beethoven.

I was talking about Badura-Skoda and Lubimov, this latter a quite more radical option than Brautigam and not generally accepted for most of the people; firstly, I suppose, because the sound of his instruments is rather less "mainstream" than Brautigam.   

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on June 19, 2010, 07:40:21 AM
Stuart - not George, but plenty of us own Brautigam recordings, assuming that the fortepiano is fine w/ you?  :D

Personally, and in addition to the Mozart Piano Sonatas, I have the Brautigam recordings shown below, so you can start w/ a few or w/ many -  :)

Dave,  I have a number of fortepiano recordings by Andreas Staier, Jill Crossland and possibly others.  I am fine with fortepiano since it is almost impossible for someone who likes harpsichord music to find fortepiano unacceptable ...

Franco

Currently my favorite recording is Uchido but I'm looking at this one - maybe - a bit pricey ...

Todd

Quote from: Franco on June 30, 2010, 02:56:15 AM
a bit pricey ...

$30 new is pricey for five discs?  Since when?

Also, I'm not sure who Uchido is - what label did s/he record for?
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya