Mozart piano sonatas

Started by Mark, September 20, 2007, 05:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Cosi bel do on October 24, 2014, 07:48:02 AM
I'm thinking, a Mozart sonata would be perfect for a blind comparison... With two categories, modern piano and pianoforte...
Or mayve even better, the Fantasia in C minor...

Yes I would be interested in the Fantasia.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

Quote from: king ubu on October 24, 2014, 07:44:35 AMWhat's the opinion on Arrau here?

Quite good, and better than I thought it would be before listening.  He favors slow tempi, and his tone is rich and the playing is a bit heavy for Mozart, at least at times, but Arrau manages to make it work.  Not a top choice.  More an alternate choice.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

What's the opinion on Gould here?

Todd

elotito

I've been listening to a few samples of some of the recommended cycles and it has been quite an interesting journey already! I was primarily comparing the third section of kv331 just because I know it better than any of the others. Pires seems to play this very slowly and it sounds a little odd to me like this. Uchida on the other hand plays it at break-neck speed! Other than this I didn't really have much to separate them, they are both great quality recordings and I can't find much fault in them.

I couldn't find a sample of this piece by Oort so I had a listen to some of the other sonatas and the sound of the piano itself sounded weird, I know it's going to sound different but there was an unpleasant low end rattle underneath the main sound, I don't know how else to describe it.

After this I wasn't expecting to like Bezuidenhout at all but I have to say his recordings sound amazing. I like the sound of the instrument itself and I find his playing more appealing than most of the others I've heard, it seems less sedate somehow.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 23, 2014, 05:09:44 PM
I had never realized that this Badura-Skoda had gone rare; I have always thought that if I had it, everyone else could get it easily too!   ???   Anyway, if it is on your favorite stream or download site, by all means give it a listen. He's brilliant. :)

Gurn - I'd love to get my hands on the PB-S fortepiano recordings - I have the Mozart sonata cycle inserted above which is on a modern piano (not sure which kind - Jed Distler's brief description below does not help much).  I see the individual discs on Classicsonline as MP3 downloads but would rather have the original CDs - well will just wait - Dave :)

QuotePaul Badura-Skoda has been recording Mozart sonatas since the 1950s, including two complete cycles: one from 1978-81 for Eurodisc on a modern-day concert grand, the other from 1984-90 for Naïve using a 1790 Johann Schantz Viennese fortepiano. In February 2013 the 85-year-old pianist revisited K. 545, 330, and 331 for the present release, using an Anton Walter Hammerflügel that also dates from around 1790. - See more at: http://www.classicstoday.com/review/paul-badura-skoda-revisits-mozart/#sthash.XJy1zH0o.dpuf

king ubu

Quote from: Todd on October 24, 2014, 08:05:27 AM

Crap.

A fairly common view, I assume. But for me, Gould's Mozart works.

Leonhardt's I don't know. Not familiar at all with him really.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on October 24, 2014, 08:05:27 AM

Crap.

I think you should listen again to his K 576. I played it again last night for the first time in years - after hearing Uchida do it. I thought it was a really inspired imaginative  performance - more so than Uchida's in fact.

Todd

Quote from: Mandryka on October 24, 2014, 08:21:56 AMI think you should listen again to his K 570.

I sold all my Gould except his Bach, which I like, and his Beethoven, which I will keep around to occasionally remind me how much I dislike it.  I detest his Mozart.

Mandryka

Quote from: Todd on October 24, 2014, 08:23:29 AM

I sold all my Gould except his Bach, which I like, and his Beethoven, which I will keep around to occasionally remind me how much I dislike it.  I detest his Mozart.

(i should have said 576)

I think we've had a similar conversation before - I just had this wierd déjà vu feeling.

Other interesting "contentious" Mozart I like - Pletnev's first recording for Melodiya; Ashkenazy's first recording (for Decca maybe). One I've never appreciated is Yudina's.

Florestan

Quote from: king ubu on October 24, 2014, 08:17:29 AM
A fairly common view, I assume. But for me, Gould's Mozart works.

+1.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

I like just about everything Gould recorded, but then again I´m a monarchist while you´re a republican...  ;D :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

king ubu

Quote from: Florestan on October 24, 2014, 08:27:55 AM
I like just about everything Gould recorded, but then again I´m a monarchist while you´re a republican...  ;D :D

Ouch ... that has me reconsider, as all nobility deserves (at best!) the guillotine! So let me proclaim Gould's the true jacobin Mozart!   >:D >:D >:D
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Florestan

Quote from: king ubu on October 24, 2014, 08:45:48 AMas all nobility deserves (at best!) the guillotine!

Had it not been for the nobility, we would have had no music at all to discuss on GMG. I mean it dead seriously.  ;D

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on October 24, 2014, 08:56:05 AM
Had it not been for the nobility, we would have had no music at all to discuss on GMG. I mean it dead seriously.  ;D
And if the nobility still ruled most of the world, I'm sure there would be no GMG..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on October 24, 2014, 08:11:16 AM
Gurn - I'd love to get my hands on the PB-S fortepiano recordings - I have the Mozart sonata cycle inserted above which is on a modern piano (not sure which kind - Jed Distler's brief description below does not help much).  I see the individual discs on Classicsonline as MP3 downloads but would rather have the original CDs - well will just wait - Dave :)

I have both of them, Dave. The reason Jed doesn't tell you more is that there is virtually nothing in the liner notes to tell you. After buying it and finding nothing about it on the box or elsewhere, I didn't even know it was a modern piano until I actually played it! That said, it is an excellent traversal and B-S is capable of playing real ornaments even though it is no picnic on the heavier action of a modern piano. The cycle on the Schantz is excellent, my favorite. I was so pleased it got released again, if even for a short time. Astrée/Naive are so so stingy with their catalog... :(

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

king ubu

Now that my curiosity is piqued ... is there but one complete Mozart sonata cycle by PBS?

I see there's also a new disc recorded 2013 - has anyone heard it?

[asin]B00EHZ3C9U[/asin]
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on October 24, 2014, 09:04:54 AM
And if the nobility still ruled most of the world, I'm sure there would be no GMG..

You really that sure?

Yours is as contrafactual a statement as it gets, while mine is backed up by facts.  ;D

Ken B

I'm mostly in Todd's camp on Gould. I do like some of his stuff. His Schoenberg concerto is very good indeed. He has interesting insights into pieces sometimes. But Bach aside rarely am I convinced.

PS Gould fans should purchase this http://www.davegrossman.net/gould/

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on October 24, 2014, 10:35:49 AM
I'm mostly in Todd's camp on Gould. I do like some of his stuff. His Schoenberg concerto is very good indeed. He has interesting insights into pieces sometimes. But Bach aside rarely am I convinced.

Not even Consort of Musicke?