Author Topic: Daniel Jones(1912-93)-a prolific Welsh symphonist  (Read 69007 times)

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
Re: Daniel Jones(1912-93)-a prolific Welsh symphonist
« Reply #400 on: April 16, 2021, 05:22:20 AM »
Hi!  I'm fairly new on this board.  I listen to a lot of 20th century British music.  I've just finished listening to the disc of Daniel Jones' 3rd and 5th symphonies and I'm really impressed.  I've also been listening to the recent disc of music by David Matthews (A Vision of the Sea, which includes his 8th symphony) and Grace Williams' 2nd symphony.  I'd not heard of Grace Williams until recently and this work is a tremendous discovery.
I am a big fan of British cello concertos and collect all that are available.  I see that Daniel Jones wrote a cello concerto but it does not seem to be in the record catalogue.  Does anyone have it?  I'd be very grateful for a copy. 
I'm also on the lookout for recordings of the cello concertos by Ian Parrott and Francis Routh, if anyone has them.

Daniel Jones Cello Concerto is on youtube so a radio broadcast exists so it could be coming to Lyrita eventually.

Offline Big David

« Reply #401 on: April 16, 2021, 05:44:37 AM »
Thanks.  I'll look out for that.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #402 on: April 16, 2021, 06:02:23 AM »
Hi!  I'm fairly new on this board.  I listen to a lot of 20th century British music.  I've just finished listening to the disc of Daniel Jones' 3rd and 5th symphonies and I'm really impressed.  I've also been listening to the recent disc of music by David Matthews (A Vision of the Sea, which includes his 8th symphony) and Grace Williams' 2nd symphony.  I'd not heard of Grace Williams until recently and this work is a tremendous discovery.
I am a big fan of British cello concertos and collect all that are available.  I see that Daniel Jones wrote a cello concerto but it does not seem to be in the record catalogue.  Does anyone have it?  I'd be very grateful for a copy. 
I'm also on the lookout for recordings of the cello concertos by Ian Parrott and Francis Routh, if anyone has them.

I can recommend highly a Naxos CD of Grace Williams chamber music. Chandos issued in three volumes, British cello sonatas. I have the third of the set and fully intend to purchase 1 & 2.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #403 on: April 16, 2021, 06:18:56 AM »
I can recommend highly a Naxos CD of Grace Williams chamber music. Chandos issued in three volumes, British cello sonatas. I have the third of the set and fully intend to purchase 1 & 2.

This is a very fine disc Lol. I especially like the Foulds work:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #404 on: April 16, 2021, 06:22:49 AM »
The stand-out work for me, of those you mention, is Grace Williams's 2nd Symphony. I wasn't so keen on the Daniel Jones 3rd and 5th symphonies and need to give them another hearing. His 4th Symphony 'In Memory of Dylan Thomas' is, by far, my favourite. I enjoyed the new David Matthews CD, but not as much as the Dutton one featuring his 6th Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #405 on: April 18, 2021, 05:14:38 AM »
This is a very fine disc Lol. I especially like the Foulds work:

Noted, Jeffrey.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.