Author Topic: Stockhausen's Spaceship  (Read 449967 times)

Offline steve ridgway

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Stockhausen's Greatest Hits
Re: Stockhausen's Spaceship
« Reply #1440 on: April 30, 2022, 03:50:09 AM »
Webern's dream of having his works whistled has been quasi-usurped by Stockhausen and the marketing guys and gals at DGG!   :D

Lightning struck twice with this double album in die-cut gatefold sleeve!  8)

Offline Brewski

• Global Moderator
  • "Man With No Shadow" by Makoto Tojiki (2009)
« Reply #1441 on: April 30, 2022, 04:17:25 AM »
Lightning struck twice with this double album in die-cut gatefold sleeve!  8)

That is the most beautiful cover I've seen in a long time. While the contents are probably great, I'd be tempted to get this just for the art alone!

--Bruce
“I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts.”

- Alfred Schnittke

Twitter: @BruceHodgesNY

Offline Rex

« Reply #1442 on: May 19, 2022, 02:36:11 PM »
There is a superb production of Dienstag, by Maxine Pascal and Le Balcon in La Grande Salle Pierre Boulez at the Philharmonie, Paris (recorded in 2020). The video of the complete opera is here: https://philharmoniedeparis.fr/fr/live/concert/1136785-stockhausen-dienstag-aus-licht

The sound is pretty good for a streaming video, and being able to see a production very much enriches my previous experience of the opera. Nevertheless, it is still necessary to listen to the release from the Stockhausen Verlag to get the full and immense power of his sound world in this opera.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1443 on: May 20, 2022, 08:05:13 AM »
There is a superb production of Dienstag, by Maxine Pascal and Le Balcon in La Grande Salle Pierre Boulez at the Philharmonie, Paris (recorded in 2020). The video of the complete opera is here: https://philharmoniedeparis.fr/fr/live/concert/1136785-stockhausen-dienstag-aus-licht

The sound is pretty good for a streaming video, and being able to see a production very much enriches my previous experience of the opera. Nevertheless, it is still necessary to listen to the release from the Stockhausen Verlag to get the full and immense power of his sound world in this opera.

Freitag is playing this November in Cité de la Musique. I can’t wait for this partly because I like the idea of hearing Freitags Gruss before going into the theatre - I hope they do it like that. And hearing the Abschied as I’m leaving.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Rex

« Reply #1444 on: May 22, 2022, 07:27:52 PM »
Freitag is playing this November in Cité de la Musique. I can’t wait for this partly because I like the idea of hearing Freitags Gruss before going into the theatre - I hope they do it like that. And hearing the Abschied as I’m leaving.

Oh yes! I would love to be able to go to that performance! Unfortunately I live on the other side of the world, so at this stage I could not be optimistic.
Freitag is perhaps the opera of Licht I have the least understanding of. But the music is incredible. Both the Gruss and the Abschied are terrifying and wonderful!
I think after experiencing a production of Freitag, I'd be hanging out for the redemption of Sonntag!
I think the Licht project of Le Balcon, and Maxime Pascal is completely heroic. I wish they would put these productions on video at some time.
If you go, I hope you have an extraordinary experience - and tell us about it here too.

Offline petrarch

• Veteran member
  • Luigi Nono (1924-1990)
« Reply #1445 on: July 30, 2022, 07:05:03 AM »
There's a new recording of Carré:

Very curious about how it differs from the one released on SV/DG, dating from 1960.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1446 on: July 30, 2022, 07:11:17 AM »
There's a new recording of Carré:

Very curious about how it differs from the one released on SV/DG, dating from 1960.

Well it’s in surround sound, which, given the nature of the music, seems quite a plus!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen