Stockhausen's Spaceship

Started by Cato, September 21, 2007, 06:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gomro

Quote from: moldyoldie on April 14, 2009, 09:00:59 AM
That there've been at least three succeeding commercial recordings of Stimmung since this original DG release from 1969 (I'm doubting such is the case for any of Stockhausen's myriad other works) certainly attests to the work's continuing fascination among venturesome listeners and performers. 

Um... Stimmung, a work I absolutely love, is hardly unique among Stockhausen's most recorded pieces: Refrain, Zyklus, Im Freundschaft, Tierkreis, Kontakte have as many or more recordings to their credit, and I'm probably missing some others that someone else will fill in.

snyprrr

What's that Karl?

You want me to bump your thread?

ok, Karl. Just for you.

karlhenning

gomro

Amazingly, a performance of Michael's Reise is going to be televised on August 10th. More info HERE:

http://www.stockhausen.org/tv_8_10_09.html

Maciek

Cato

Quote from: Maciek on September 22, 2009, 04:27:56 AM
There's an all-Stockhausen concert at Warsaw Autumn tonight.

So, Maciek, are you able to give us a review?   :o
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Maciek

Oh, I didn't go to the concert. I was just notifying of the broadcast, in case someone was interested.

Cato

Quote from: Maciek on September 24, 2009, 01:46:50 PM
Oh, I didn't go to the concert. I was just notifying of the broadcast, in case someone was interested.

Were there any reviews, in Polish or English?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Maciek

Quote from: Cato on September 25, 2009, 06:38:29 AM
Were there any reviews, in Polish or English?

I'm not aware of any. But that doesn't mean anything.

CD

Quote from: James on March 28, 2009, 08:18:00 PM
self-sufficient performable 'module' or portion of scene 3 from Samstag...

KINNTANZ vom SAMSTAG aus LICHT (8'42)
http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/v9kfjCf9wAU

Lucifer with the euphonium. >:D

That sounded really good!

not edward

Quote from: James on October 06, 2009, 09:09:11 AM

New release from a very distinguished ensemble!
Four chamber works from the 1950s that became cornerstones of the avant-garde,
each illustrating a new phase in Stockhausen's former work.

Content:
KONTRA-PUNKTE for ten instruments (11:51)
REFRAIN for piano, celesta, and percussion  (11:52)
ZEITMASZE for five woodwinds (12:47)
SCHLAGTRIO for piano and percussion (15:11)

ensemble recherche / conductor: Rupert Huber
booklet writer: Richard Toop
That looks really interesting--what label is it coming out on?
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

not edward

Quote from: James on October 06, 2009, 09:22:39 AM
The top right hand corner of the disc cover says WERGO, so that'd be my guess.  :)
Heh. The image didn't load when I looked last time, otherwise I think I'd have managed to answer that for myself. :)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

MDL

Quote from: James on December 26, 2009, 10:11:57 AM
March 18th &19th 2010  Birmingham ENGLAND
Stockhausen: CARRÉ (for 4 orchestras & choirs)
Tallis: Spem in Alium
Allegri: Miserere
Striggio: tba
Berio: Laborintus II

Students from Birmingham University Music Departments.
Soloists:  Angela Tunstall, Sarah D'Ugo and Jessica Summers plus Alan Belk (speaker)
Q Club 212 Corporation Street Birmingham. 7-10pm

Tickets available at The Barber Institute 0121 414 7333 
email: concert@barber.org.uk after December 1st
no price announced

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow I missed this post and only heard about the concert when it was reviewed in the Guardian on Monday. I don't suppose I'll ever get to hear Carré in the flesh now. It's especially frustrating because the only recording is apparently slightly cut and I'm guessing that the Brummie performance was complete. Sob.  ???

CRCulver

The Birmingham performance of Carré was recorded and a surround-sound release is foreseen.

I've always been baffled that Stockhausen-Verlag offered only stereo mixdowns of Stockhausen. What did they have against DVD-Audio or SACD releases?

MDL

Quote from: CRCulver on March 25, 2010, 03:02:12 AM
The Birmingham performance of Carré was recorded and a surround-sound release is foreseen.

Gasp! Are you serious?! Wow! Do you know what label it will be released on and when it's due? This is brilliant news. Fingers crossed!

MDL

Quote from: James on March 25, 2010, 10:29:03 AM
MDL ... i have the Verlag release of it (coupled with Gruppen) and it's not cut, where you getting your info?

I hope you're right! I would be happy to be told that I was having a phantom memory.

But I'm sure that, 20 years or so ago, I read in a book, perhaps Robin Maconie's, that Carré was cut when it was recorded, presumably so that it would fit on one side of an LP; I have both the LP and the CD versions, which are identical.

The gist of the argument was that because Carré was a moment-form piece, it was possible to remove sections from it, and that this had been done to the recorded version.

All I can find on the web at the moment is this:

"Stockhausen's 'Carre' for four orchestras was performed in Hamburg on .... The sections which were finally cut in the performance were either ones in which ..."

The full quote is buried somewhere in an article by Cornelius Cardew but I can't navigate my way around it:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/951181

And at the very end of this audio clip (I don't know where the performance came from), there's a short section that I don't recognise from the DG/Verlag recording. It may be that the interpretation is radically different (although the rest of it seems very familiar) or it could be a section that was cut from the original recording. See what you think. Again, I'd be happy to be told I was wrong.

http://www.universaledition.com/Karlheinz-Stockhausen/composers-and-works/composer/698/work/1521

From 2:45 to 2:59.

petrarch

Quote from: MDL on March 25, 2010, 03:39:01 PM
But I'm sure that, 20 years or so ago, I read in a book, perhaps Robin Maconie's, that Carré was cut when it was recorded, presumably so that it would fit on one side of an LP; I have both the LP and the CD versions, which are identical.

I just checked Maconie's book (both the original and the more recent version) and there's no mention of such cuts. In fact, the duration stated is the one in the 1960 recording (30:50) and not the one in the score (36 minutes). In any case we know how the lengths of actual recordings can differ substantially from the duration specified in the score. Perhaps some of the inserts were indeed cut.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

MDL

Quote from: petrArch on March 25, 2010, 04:56:11 PM
I just checked Maconie's book (both the original and the more recent version) and there's no mention of such cuts. In fact, the duration stated is the one in the 1960 recording (30:50) and not the one in the score (36 minutes). In any case we know how the lengths of actual recordings can differ substantially from the duration specified in the score. Perhaps some of the inserts were indeed cut.

I'm racking my brains to try and remember where I read that quote. I've been googling the phrase "the recorded version of Carré is cut" with various follow-ons because that's what I vaguely recall. No luck yet!

By the way, did you sample the audio clip? I'm sure there's a brief section in there that was cut from the recording.

Kaiser

I've been listening to some Stockhausen recently (being very new to listening and learning about him) - some downloads here and there, but this weekend I was pleasantly surprised to find a copy of "Song of the Youths / Contact" on LP at a used shop. The sound of these pieces on vinyl was a revelation - much better than the downloaded version I'd heard previously. And the record wasn't too expensive either - a plus! Very fascinating stuff.
"Music is organized sound" - Edgard Varese

petrarch

Quote from: Kaiser on April 11, 2010, 05:02:05 PM
I've been listening to some Stockhausen recently (being very new to listening and learning about him) - some downloads here and there, but this weekend I was pleasantly surprised to find a copy of "Song of the Youths / Contact" on LP at a used shop. The sound of these pieces on vinyl was a revelation - much better than the downloaded version I'd heard previously. And the record wasn't too expensive either - a plus! Very fascinating stuff.

Glad to hear you found that LP; pre-1970 Stockhausen is overall very very good. If you're really into vinyl, you should try to find Hymnen or Kurzwellen on LP.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole