Stockhausen's Spaceship

Started by Cato, September 21, 2007, 06:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petrarch

Quote from: James on January 12, 2013, 03:42:39 PM
But the human voice is an instrument too.

I'm aware of that; but at a high level I find the work needed to make an instrument do what you are hearing, particularly noises, sweeps, slides and bursts, to impart an articulation and inexact approximation that I don't find when doing the same using your voice. Imagine Mikrophonie I done with voices--I would find it much less interesting.

Quote from: James on January 12, 2013, 03:42:39 PM
Has EXPO for 3 ever been recorded? .. 3 is the perfect number for improvisation imo.

I'm not aware of any recording of Expo.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

petrarch

Quote from: James on January 12, 2013, 04:45:12 PM
Stimmung?

No; you aren't getting it. Producing the variety of noises, howls, barks, scrapes, etc with just a tam-tam and contact mics is striking and endlessly fascinating. Doing it with voices would be just a bunch of guys howling and screaming at the microphones.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

petrarch

Quote from: James on January 12, 2013, 06:01:29 PM
You lost me .. Mikrophonie I is percussion piece .. why would we want to imagine voices trying to mimick that? ..  and what does that have to do with the spontaneous interplay that's the basis of Spiral between soloist and radio receiver ?  .. 

I was comparing Spiral for solo instrument vs. its version for voice. To me, the version for voice is less interesting, timbre- and articulation-wise, than the versions with instruments. To me, mimicking the music, noises, slides, sweeps, etc coming out of the receiver with the voice is less appealing (in much the same way Mikrophonie I would have been if it were for voice and not tam-tam + contact mics).
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

MDL

Just spotted this in Harold Moores. Anyone heard it? How does it stack up against the previous recordings?

http://www.wergo.de/shop/en_UK/3/show,308898.html

Karl Henning

QuoteKarlheinz Stockhausen - Lecture 5

But-that's perfect! LOL
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: James on March 21, 2013, 03:44:21 PM

like a celestial choir of fire trucks.

I like that image!   ;D 

How nice that Stockhausen's work was able to attract a small but eager crowd.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

bhodges

Saw Oktophonie last night, and had very mixed feelings (which I'll elaborate on in a longer article). Nutshell: musically quite interesting, but didn't much go for the visual set-up, or the uncomfortable chairs - and as much as I'd like to report that the white cloaks (worn by the audience) added anything, I felt they were unnecessary.

--Bruce

snyprrr

Wow, I'm exhausted after checking out these last Posts! That whole experience sounds draining.

listener

Donnerstag (Instrumental section: Michael's Journey Around the world... to be performed at the Lincoln Center Festival this sumer..
http://www.playbillarts.com/features/article/8773.html
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

bhodges

I can hardly believe it, but another performance of Kontakte - this time with Iktus Percussion - is coming up on May 21 at New York's Roulette. This will be the third NYC performance in three years.

http://roulette.org/events/ear-heart-music-itkus-percussion/

--Bruce

snyprrr

Hmmm,... 66 Pages,... occult numerology creeps into the Stockhausen Thread!

666 is actually a very interesting number, and I'm sure KS knew the esoterics of 'sacred geometry' and such? Was he a Mason (of any stripe)? Or a straight up Luciferian?

7/4

Quote from: James on June 07, 2013, 06:37:05 AM
Karlheinz Stockhausen
for basset horn

Traum - Formel (1981)
Evas spiegel (1984)
Susani (1984)
Die 7 lieder der tage (1986)
Freia (1991)
In freundschaft (1977)

Looks like something I'd need asap.

7/4

...but it doesn't seem to be out on CD...  >:(

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I spotted the Nonesuch recording of Momente at my local 2nd-hand store. Worth getting?
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

CRCulver

Quote from: James on June 12, 2013, 02:36:47 AM
Stockhausen's own label offers the highest quality & standards for his music.

This is the label that refuses to make their recordings of spatialized pieces available on DVD with surround sound (even though this would not cost any more than their current method of production), and whose liner notes are still amateurly typeset. Stockhausen-Verlag is better than nothing, but "Highest quality and standards" my ass.

snyprrr

Quote from: James on June 10, 2013, 09:05:00 AM
REFRAIN (1959)
click to enlarge

Those who wish to understand what I have written for the three players in REFRAIN must read the score.

Those who wish to understand how the players interpret my score must know the score and compare performances.

Those who simply wish to hear (not understand) a piece of music need only listen.

What is left to be explained?

-K.Stockhausen

Great quote

Now you boys be nice to each other, haha!!

San Antone

Quote from: James on June 21, 2013, 06:10:28 AM
Stockhausen unfolds his musical concept of death as a "process of liberation" as a transition to light and therefore as part of a new birth of man."

Not exactly a unique concept.

San Antone

Quote from: James on June 21, 2013, 06:24:32 AM
Yes .. but an age old one. Universal even. But read carefully now. Of course .. Stockhausen's own 'musical conception unfolding' of this underlying (age old) mythology is utterly unlike anything in the pantheon of composition when filtered through his singular radiant prism.

:D

San Antone

Quote from: James on June 21, 2013, 06:36:19 AM
This work is a special one and closest to Stockhausen's own bones.

I like the Licht series quite a lot.