Stockhausen's Spaceship

Started by Cato, September 21, 2007, 06:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodges

Quote from: Al Moritz on December 11, 2007, 10:37:41 AM
Too bad that the Helikopter-Streichquartett, one of his few "duds" (or at least, only accessible to people with a wavelength for it, which does not quite include me) is one of the few musics of late Stockhausen that are available outside Stockhausen-Verlag.

I actually find the quartet almost unlistenable, but in an amusing way.  (It's the constant rotor noise that kills it for me.)  But as far as a concept, it is so completely over-the-top that I just have to admire his sheer audacity.

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: bhodges on December 11, 2007, 11:43:40 AM
I actually find the quartet almost unlistenable, but in an amusing way.

I think that would have pleased the composer, Bruce  8)

bhodges

Quote from: karlhenning on December 11, 2007, 11:44:37 AM
I think that would have pleased the composer, Bruce  8)

Yep, maybe so!  :D

--Bruce

gomro

Quote from: Cato on December 11, 2007, 03:48:05 AM
It will be interesting to see if the establishment "rethinks" their opinion on Stockhausen, when (if?) the complete LICHT-cycle is performed next year.

If the music of LICHT could get out on easily obtainable discs, instead of only from the Stockhausen-Verlag -- and it may, with this complete presentation -- it would win people immediately. I haven't heard it all, by any means, but I can tell you that Engel-Prozessionen, Welt-Parlament, Lichter-Wasser, Michaels Reise, these are far from the academic, experimental, unemotional image that many have of Stockhausen (usually because they have either never heard any of his work, or have only heard aleatoric pieces poorly realized).

Welt-Parlament and Engel-Prozessionen are two of the most beautiful, most exalted choral works I have ever heard, and I've heard quite a few. In fact, I was surprised at how well Stockhausen wrote for the voice. Lichter-Wasser not only has a unique and very appealing style of vocal writing, but it is literally kaleidoscopic in its orchestration, without ever becoming the dread "bleep boop" Morse code music so often feared in modern composition. The melodies ("formulas") are easily recognized and followed, and the music flows in a way I have never encountered in any other piece. Michaels Reise (the chamber version) often takes off on flights I would normally associate with jazz, and concludes in a rapturous duet between trumpet and basset-horn that, once heard, will not be forgotten.

Lost in solipsism? Not at all. He was at the height of his powers all the way to the end.  Did everything he composed work? Not at all. The artist who goes for broke in every work always runs the risk of failure. Only the mediocre are always "successful", because they take no chances, willing to reproduce their past endlessly. When genius succeeds, the success is transcendent; when genius fails, the failure is complete. Stockhausen has his duds, but they are few and far between compared to the flow of the magnificent and mighty.

And this complete LICHT performance may well reveal that to all! Let us hope so!

Al Moritz

Beautiful post, Gomro, and it reflects my own sentiments about the works you mentioned and Stockhausen in general to a high degree.

Montpellier

I've never been sure how Stockhausen Plc stands in relation to DG.  I'd love the original DG recordings of Kontakte, Telemusik and Gesang to appear.  I first heard these on LP.

gomro

Quote from: Anacho on December 12, 2007, 01:05:14 AM
I've never been sure how Stockhausen Plc stands in relation to DG.  I'd love the original DG recordings of Kontakte, Telemusik and Gesang to appear.  I first heard these on LP.

Stockhausen bought these and all the rest of his recordings from DG; they are now only available, as far as I know, on Stockhausen-Verlag releases:

CD 3 ETUDE (musique concrète )
STUDIE I and II (electronic music )
GESANG DER JÜNGLINGE / SONG OF THE YOUTHS (electronic music )
KONTAKTE / CONTACTS (electronic music)

and

CD 9 MIKROPHONIE I / MICROPHONY I
for tam-tam, 2 microphones, 2 filters with potentiometers (6 players)
MIKROPHONIE II / MICROPHONY II for choir, Hammond organ, 4 ring modulators
TELEMUSIK / TELEMUSIC (electronic music)

You can go to www.stockhausen.org for ordering info, if you like.

Cato

Depending on what kind of will he left, Stockhausen's heirs might be more capitalistic - or need to become so - and will offer the CD's in a better, more user friendly manner to increase sales.  Right now, for an American sale, you would have to get an international money order, and few people have the time or patience to do so these days.  A charge card would be much simpler.

If LICHT goes over big next year, maybe somebody will offer to buy out Stockhausen-Verlag, and do everything right! 
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Al Moritz

Quote from: Cato on December 12, 2007, 03:53:39 AM
Depending on what kind of will he left, Stockhausen's heirs might be more capitalistic - or need to become so - and will offer the CD's in a better, more user friendly manner to increase sales.  Right now, for an American sale, you would have to get an international money order, and few people have the time or patience to do so these days.  A charge card would be much simpler.

If LICHT goes over big next year, maybe somebody will offer to buy out Stockhausen-Verlag, and do everything right! 

You can simply write a check, but the check handling costs are considerable. I have discussed the credit card option with them several times, but noted a strange resistance on the Maestro's part - he had been burned before in the old days, and I could not convince him that now, with modern technology, the money transfer takes place the moment you swipe the card or type in the numbers on your electronic merchant's machine (I know from my wife's business; if the transfer can't go through, the card is rejected in the first place), and that it's all very easy and labor-free.

After some time, when things have hopefully settled in Kuerten, I will discuss this with Stockhausen-Verlag again, and hopefully then they will lend a more willing ear.

Cato

Quote from: Al Moritz on December 12, 2007, 04:02:52 AM
You can simply write a check, but the check handling costs are considerable. I have discussed the credit card option with them several times, but noted a strange resistance on the Maestro's part - he had been burned before in the old days, and I could not convince him that now, with modern technology, the money transfer takes place the moment you swipe the card or type in the numbers on your electronic merchant's machine (I know from my wife's business; if the transfer can't go through, the card is rejected in the first place), and that it's all very easy and labor-free.

After some time, when things have hopefully settled in Kuerten, I will discuss this with Stockhausen-Verlag again, and hopefully then they will lend a more willing ear.

The ultimate irony that Stockhausen, the techno-radical in music, turns into Scrooge McDuck (d.h. auf deutsch Onkel Dagobert) when it comes to his bank account!

If you can, find out who will inherit Stockhausen's collection of pastel sweaters!   8)

karlhenning

Montpellier

Quote from: gomro on December 12, 2007, 02:01:39 AM
Stockhausen bought these and all the rest of his recordings from DG; they are now only available, as far as I know, on Stockhausen-Verlag releases:
You can go to www.stockhausen.org for ordering info, if you like.

Thank you.   It will be nice not to rely on LPs if I listen again.  They've got Zeitmasse, another one I like.   But what a ropey site. I can't d/l the pdfs though this always happens with german sites probably because I use explorer.   No matter I'll phone them.   

cheers

greg

Quote from: gomro on December 11, 2007, 04:56:33 PM
If the music of LICHT could get out on easily obtainable discs, instead of only from the Stockhausen-Verlag -- and it may, with this complete presentation -- it would win people immediately. I haven't heard it all, by any means, but I can tell you that Engel-Prozessionen, Welt-Parlament, Lichter-Wasser, Michaels Reise, these are far from the academic, experimental, unemotional image that many have of Stockhausen (usually because they have either never heard any of his work, or have only heard aleatoric pieces poorly realized).

Welt-Parlament and Engel-Prozessionen are two of the most beautiful, most exalted choral works I have ever heard, and I've heard quite a few. In fact, I was surprised at how well Stockhausen wrote for the voice. Lichter-Wasser not only has a unique and very appealing style of vocal writing, but it is literally kaleidoscopic in its orchestration, without ever becoming the dread "bleep boop" Morse code music so often feared in modern composition. The melodies ("formulas") are easily recognized and followed, and the music flows in a way I have never encountered in any other piece. Michaels Reise (the chamber version) often takes off on flights I would normally associate with jazz, and concludes in a rapturous duet between trumpet and basset-horn that, once heard, will not be forgotten.

Lost in solipsism? Not at all. He was at the height of his powers all the way to the end.  Did everything he composed work? Not at all. The artist who goes for broke in every work always runs the risk of failure. Only the mediocre are always "successful", because they take no chances, willing to reproduce their past endlessly. When genius succeeds, the success is transcendent; when genius fails, the failure is complete. Stockhausen has his duds, but they are few and far between compared to the flow of the magnificent and mighty.

And this complete LICHT performance may well reveal that to all! Let us hope so!
well, from that description, i can't wait to listen!  :D

Cato

Where did you find a picture like that?

And why isn't Karlheinz in one of those pastel sweaters ?!

lukeottevanger

Time to share Stockhausen pictures? Here's one:

(with Cage) (not sure if Sirius is the destination)

bhodges

I am SO enjoying these photos...thanks, guys, for posting them.

--Bruce

uffeviking

Quote from: Cato on December 11, 2007, 03:48:05 AM

(e.g. See the translation of the article by Klaus Umbach below.)

Unfortunately your translation didn't show up!  :'(

I was waiting for my issue of Der Spiegel - I assume that's where your article appeared - but can not find it in the last two issues. It could be one got lost in the mail, Cato, could you please give me the date and issue number?

Danke schön!
Lis

Cato

Quote from: uffeviking on December 13, 2007, 07:57:22 PM
Unfortunately your translation didn't show up!  :'(

I was waiting for my issue of Der Spiegel - I assume that's where your article appeared - but can not find it in the last two issues. It could be one got lost in the mail, Cato, could you please give me the date and issue number?

Danke schön!
Lis

No: it is here on the forum in this topic!  It is a translation of an article from the late 80's/early 90's.

So, don't be sad!  Just go to page 3 of this topic!   :)

Montpellier

The "Music Matters" broadcast was illuminating in bringing out the historic context, the German cultural backdrop against which he worked, then his growing isolation from friends and supporters from the early days, possibly a spiritual issue.  Cage was mentioned as an influence in the early days but that seemed to divide the two.   (Cage left Darmstadt a little disillusioned, I understand.)

I look forward to the broadcast tonight.

Al Moritz

James,

I am glad you liked some of the music you heard.

Well, the prices are high, but not that high. Single CDs range from $ 23-32, most double CDs are $ 62, and the 4-CD set of Freitag is $ 107. Part of the reason for the elevated prices is the abominable exchange rate Dollar/Euro (the Euro prices have not changed over the last 7 years).