Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: James on March 06, 2014, 06:14:17 AM
http://www.stockhausencds.com/Stockhausen_Edition_CD22.htm

You're just sitting there monitoring the Thread, aren't you? Haha!! :laugh:

Thanks,... but I haven't seen the price yet! :o

petrarch

Quote from: edward on March 01, 2014, 09:00:33 AM
It has documentary value as well as musical value, given the work's tangled (almost Boulezian) history of revisions. The DG recording was of the 1972 version, which is about twice the length and contains large amounts of new material as well as revisions of existing material. I've never been convinced this was entirely to the benefit of the work as it sacrifices tautness and stylistic continuity.

The 1965 version was not complete as a number of moments hadn't been composed yet. According to the notes from SV's CD7 there is only one revision, corresponding to the new form-scheme on occasion of the 1972 recording.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

EigenUser

I don't care much at all for Stockhausen's music, though I retract a previous statement I made here calling it "academic" (I reserve this descriptor for Boulez and especially Babbitt). That being said, I saw this extensive 50-minute interview/special on BBC with Stockhausen and I think he is a fascinating person: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p013s7xf/Music_Masters_Stockhausen/

He doesn't come across here as a huge egoist, as I've heard him described. Actually, he seems very sincere (if rather odd) and convincing. I saw an interview with Boulez who, although charming, came across as very arrogant (every mention of a famous younger composer was accompanied by a comment indicating that Boulez was responsible for their fame). Stockhausen seems very matter-of-fact.

I wish there was something like this on Messiaen as well.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Oclock

2014/2015 Staatsoper Berlin

quite possibly...

Stockhausen: Mittwoch aus LICHT (Birmingham production?)

...stay tuned...  :P

ritter

Brought from the Major-Label Avant-Garde Classics: SONY thread...

Quote from: petrarch on April 16, 2014, 04:17:06 AM
That's Licht for you. I don't care much for it even though there are a few works there that I enjoy--and I have most of it already anyway.
True...but as music theatre, Licht is fascinating...well, what I've heard of it: Donnerstag and Samstag. When I proceeded to Montag, I was disappointed...all those litanies of Eva's birth-giving I found rather tedious (and verging on the ridiculous)...but it's probably time I move on to the next day of the week (Dienstag, I believe it would be ;) )

XVI was released in SV57.

I'm only missing XII-XIV (I've thought of getting the Corver CD just to fill the gaps, though I have them recorded) and XIX.

I must say that Natürliche Dauern has satisfied me much more thoroughly (as far as Stockhausen on the piano goes) than the Licht Klavierstücke ever could :).
You are right about XVI...it's XIX that still hasn't been premiered (at least the last time I spoke with friends about this). I heard rumours (quite a while ago) of Antonio Pérez Abellán preparing the world premiere.

Natürliche Dauern seems very appealing...on some next order to the Foundation, perhaps  :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on April 19, 2014, 03:52:14 PM
Meh. Not as good as Cage.

When James rails against Cage and then Posts that EXPO video3... well, I haaave to start wondering who he's really working for?! :laugh: At least KHS gives me the giggles- Cage just makes me mad, haha!!

Moonfish

Why do I keep thinking about....

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: James on April 19, 2014, 05:19:44 PM
You probably have "issues".

Yes, I really don't like much of the modern music and art that take the path of the bizarre (in my own opinion of course). I feel the same way about e.g. Pollock.  It just seems to be an attempt to be different from the crowd by using a new technique or approach. I guess one can argue that this has always been the case in music as different types of music came into fashion. Still, I think the thread was named accurately. However, in the same fashion as yourself I could also state that people that like Stockhausen have their own "issues".  :P   
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: James on April 19, 2014, 05:30:24 PM
This coming from a guy who names himself after a "fish".   

That is really a ....err...... poignant response. We are all animals after all....
Besides I rather listen to the sound of fishes than Stockhausen...

http://core.ecu.edu/BIOL/luczkovichj/fishsounds/weakfish/wfpurr.wav

Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: James on April 19, 2014, 05:49:14 PM
So you think about chimps all the time and prefer listening to fish instead of great musicians. Ok.

No, I said that I prefer to listen to fish sounds rather than Stockhausen.
Anna Lappé

Karl Henning

Quote from: Moonfish on April 19, 2014, 06:09:14 PM
No, I said that I prefer to listen to fish sounds rather than Stockhausen.

For one thing, their sounds are more nearly like music ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: James

The most delicious irony today.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

EigenUser

Quote from: James on April 19, 2014, 05:19:44 PM
I definitely have issues. I kind of like that painting! Not a fan of Stockhausen, even though it does interest me.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Moonfish

Quote from: James on April 20, 2014, 05:23:39 AM
Right. A very great musician.

The fishes? Right! They are indeed!
Anna Lappé

snyprrr

ok, buddy, what's your take on the Nono/Stockhausen spat? Such touchy, prickly temperaments...s.t.u.p.i.d. :laugh:

Ermagherd!! :o

Oh noh he didn't!

Chile'! Don' let him talk to you dat way!

wap! Biff! POW!!

What do you think is the Manliest Beef in Classical Music?

EigenUser

Karl Henning

Quote. . . the last interview with the genius . . . .

I thought that was unction I nearly slipped on as I came in at the door . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

EigenUser

Is the "Klavierstuck IX" the one with that c.a.~150x repeated chord at the beginning? Or is that "KS X"? I like that chord (seriously, reminds me of the opening of Bartoks 1st PC), but not that much.

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on May 02, 2014, 03:09:58 PM
Is the "Klavierstuck IX" the one with that c.a.~150x repeated chord at the beginning? Or is that "KS X"? I like that chord (seriously, reminds me of the opening of Bartoks 1st PC), but not that much.
Yes. Agreed.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr