Stockhausen's Spaceship

Started by Cato, September 21, 2007, 06:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

Quote from: CRCulver on October 24, 2013, 07:52:54 AM
Here you go. You'll have to click through to find those who studied under him at the Hochschule, as opposed to those who just had a single summer course with him. However, Claude Vivier and Wolfgang Rihm are two formal students I can name off the top of my head. (On the documentary on the Claude Vivier Reves d'un Marco Polo DVD set, one of Stockhausen's students that is less well known and whose name I forget, recounts a little of his and Vivier's days under the maestro.)

Thanks.  I see more than a few names, whose music is of more interest to me than their teacher's.

San Antone

Quote from: James on October 24, 2013, 08:35:48 AM
Plenty. But what difference does it make .. with or without, he's still one of the greatest composers of all time who's had an enormous impact.

I believe you when you say it makes no difference to you, but for others, myself included, the legacy of a composer is defined not only by his music, but also can be enhanced by the work of his students.  I guess the most obvious example is Schoenberg who is known not only for his music but also by the music created by his most prominent students Anton Webern and Alban Berg.  And Messian's students have extended his legacy, in many cases, as part of developing their own unique voice.

This caused me to wonder about Stockhausen's legacy through his students.  I suppose no one wishes Stockhausen to represent a dead end.

Brahmsian

Quote from: James on October 24, 2013, 08:35:48 AM
Plenty. But what difference does it make .. with or without, he's still one of the greatest composers of all time who's had an enormous impact.

....speaking of 'half-baked'

bhodges

On October 28, www.medici.tv will air its webcast - free - of the 2012 performance of Gruppen, with Alan Gilbert and the New York Philharmonic. The program will be available through November 3.

--Bruce

Pessoa

Is the Polydor recording of Sternklang the same as the SV? If not, how would you compare them?

Pessoa

Quote from: James on November 12, 2013, 02:26:54 AM
I don't particularly like that work, but yes it is the same thing.
Thanks.

Pessoa

Soirée Stockhausen au Festival d'Automne Le 18 novembre 2013 par Michèle Tosi
  Concert, Festivals, La Scène
Cité de la Musique .13-XI-2013. Festival d'Automne. Karlheinz Stockhausen (1928-2007) : Trans pour orchestre et électronique ; Bassetsu Trio pour cor de basset, trompette et trombone ; Menschen hört pour sextuor vocal ; Unsichtbare Chöre pour bande magnétique à huit pistes. Marco Blaauw, trompette ; Stephen Menotti, trombone ; Fie Schouten, cor de basset ; Neue Vocalsolisten Stuttgart ; Klaus-Dieter Hesse, réalisation sonore (Trans) ; Kathinka Pasveer, collaboration à la réalisation scénique (Trans) ; Pauk Jeukendrup, réalisation sonore ; Orchestre symphonique de la SWR de Baden-Baden et Fribourg-en-Brisgau, direction : François-Xavier Roth.

France
Île-de-France
Paris
Cité de la Musique

Pessoa

Quote from: James on November 19, 2013, 01:48:00 PM
They have been having these Stockhausen soirée for years; this 2013 programme is strong .. especially the LICHT selections.
I know you don´t care much for Sternklang. Having being created around that time, what do you think of Trans?

Pessoa

Kontakte, Gruppen, Hymnen, Der Jahreslauf, Stimmung, the electronics I´ve heard from Aus den Sieben Tagen and Licht and his electronic music on the whole... At the moment I´m going through Klang.

Pessoa

Out of the 13 hours I´ve heard, I´m not keen on the first one. I´ll listen to it a third time, but not yet.

petrarch

Quote from: Pessoa on November 20, 2013, 04:01:48 AM
Out of the 13 hours I´ve heard, I´m not keen on the first one. I´ll listen to it a third time, but not yet.

Yes, Klang is good, but it is a bit hit and miss in places, like Licht.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Karl Henning

The sobriety in here is a nice change.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

petrarch

Quote from: Pessoa on November 19, 2013, 02:33:13 PM
I know you don´t care much for Sternklang. Having being created around that time, what do you think of Trans?

FWIW, I am much more a Sternklang fan than I am of Trans, though I like them both.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

petrarch

//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

Karl Henning

Aren't we all? Recognition is the first step . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Pessoa

Pessoa

Powerful Cosmic Pulses. Last Sunday I crashed against it in my home premiere: today it´s entering my ears like kinfe in butter.

Cato

Quote from: James on November 24, 2013, 10:58:40 AM

A coproduction with the Wiener Taschenoper,

The Vienna "Pocket Opera," or "Handbag Opera": great name!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Pessoa

Maybe it is not his intention, maybe it is just me, but I find sometimes a sense of humour in Stockhausen works (some places of Hymnen, Stimmung, Dienstag... that I can recall now). It is not as openly burlesque, so to say, as in Mauricio Kagel; it can be a nuance (like the breathings in Stimmung, or a snake-likevibrating reed after Luzifer) or a wider passage like in the red colour mantras in Hymnen... Anybody else has noticed something in that direction?
Some people say Kafka is funny, some people don´t.

Pessoa

Great you noticed too. Many listeners pass by that, I think.