Wagner One Ring to rule them all...

Started by canninator, September 24, 2007, 03:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rinaldo

Hojotoho! I'm days away from setting up my first truly hi-fi system which rekindled my interest in acquiring another Ring beyond the Karajan I've been otherwise pretty content with. Why annoy the neighbors with just a bit of the old Herbert von, right? I've re-read this gem of a thread, almost a wagnerian undertaking, and it brought back not only memories but a realization: I've never got around to giving Bohm a try. So today, I did exactly that. My reaction?

OMFG!*
(*Oh My Fricka's Wotan)

Just dipped my ears in bits of Rheingold and Walküre but heiaha-ha, this is the live set I've been looking for years ago – and I know some of you fine people have recommended it to me back then – but somehow missed. This Christmas, the valkyries are gonna come out blastin' 8)

Speaking of which, this is an interesting recollection of how fabled film editor Walter Murch went out looking for an alternative to Solti during the production of Apocalypse Now: How I Tried to Transplant the Musical Heart of Apocalypse Now

Valentino

Thanks for that link! I've been waking by the Rhine for too long...

That said I actually saw the Levine MET when they put everything on line for free at the start of the pandemic. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The use of "the machine" was masterful, especially the Valküre ride (Huey class over that un!). A very good Siegfried, and even if Brünnhilde was somewhat of a let down sonically she didn't look like the one in the comment attributed to Al Capone. That matters too.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

vers la flamme

I don't know if I'll ever be a "Ring guy", but I figure I should at least have one.

Would anyone care to discuss the relative merits of these Rings?

I think I'm leaning toward the Böhm. I figure if I'm going to have a Ring it might as well be a Bayreuth one. But these all sound great from the very limited sampling I've done.

JBS

My own preference is Furtwangler/RAI--just an overall feeling. I have all four you posted, but have actually listened to only Bohm and Karajan. Both of them are good in different ways.

I suspect any of them will work for you so pick the one you're most comfortable with.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

A quick check on Amazon suggests this may be the best way to get Barenboim if you go that way: it's under $40 for all 10 operas--and like Bohm his Ring was done at Bayreuth.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

vers la flamme

Quote from: JBS on April 07, 2023, 03:25:27 PMA quick check on Amazon suggests this may be the best way to get Barenboim if you go that way: it's under $40 for all 10 operas--and like Bohm his Ring was done at Bayreuth.

Holy s&*t, you're right. $35 on Amazon; that's 1 dollar a CD. It's going to be extremely hard to avoid jumping on that, and you may see me posting about it on the Purchases thread before the end of the night :-\

vers la flamme

Quote from: JBS on April 07, 2023, 03:15:37 PMMy own preference is Furtwangler/RAI--just an overall feeling. I have all four you posted, but have actually listened to only Bohm and Karajan. Both of them are good in different ways.

I suspect any of them will work for you so pick the one you're most comfortable with.

I can't say I'm any more or less comfortable with any of them, hence why I'm asking. I'm sure they all have their merits, I was just wondering if anyone had any comments on what makes them distinct; ie. singing, orchestral playing, tempi etc.

Brahmsian

Quote from: JBS on April 07, 2023, 03:25:27 PMA quick check on Amazon suggests this may be the best way to get Barenboim if you go that way: it's under $40 for all 10 operas--and like Bohm his Ring was done at Bayreuth.

@vers la flamme

Zeke, my sentimental choice would be the Solti Ring. I think it is one of the best sound recordings I've ever heard of anything. I still remember how spellbound I was hearing the opening chord of the Das Rheingold Act I prelude when I had checked it out of the local library almost 15 years ago.

However, this Barenboim set seems like such a no brainer value-for-money set, that it looks enticing even for me! 😍

Daverz

Ralph Moore at MusicWeb has a survey of Ring recordings (PDF):

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2019/Feb/Wagner-ring-survey.pdf

His final recommendations:

QuoteLive mono: Furtwängler, RAI, 1953; Krauss, 1953 – both in Ambient Stereo on Pristine Audio
Live stereo: Böhm, 1966-67, Decca; Keilberth 1955, Testament
Studio stereo: Solti, 1958-65, Decca*; Herbert von Karajan, 1966-70, DG
Historical compilation: the Metropolitan Ring, Bodanzky/Leinsdorf 1936-40
*First choice

Lisztianwagner

I've got all four, but my preference is Karajan/BPO, it is sublime both orchestrally and vocally; it has profoundity, brilliant rhythms and dynamics and colourful sonorities; absolutely striking. I think Solti has a less beautiful, refined sound than Karajan, but great intensity and energy, even more overwhelming at times like in the finale of Das Rheingold. All those Ring Cycle are excellent anyway and you'll not be disappointed, it depends on what you're looking for on an interpretation. Bohm and Barenboim are live recordings from the Bayreuth Festival and there are stage noises sometimes, but it can be turned a blind eye if you don't find them too annoying while listening.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Franco_Manitobain

@vers la flamme

Did you ever decide on a Ring cycle?  :)