Wagner One Ring to rule them all...

Started by canninator, September 24, 2007, 03:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 30, 2011, 01:01:45 PM

I knows it  (a quote from my favorite Our Gang character)

:D

If Marvin isn't blown away by the grandeur of the Prologue of the Third Act, I'll be wishing for 'Das Ende! Das Ende!' with Wotan.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

marvinbrown

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 30, 2011, 12:31:31 PM
Nothing to forgive, Marvin. I can't predict how anyone will react to performances I love and I don't get upset when someone doesn't agree with me.  I'm just sorry it's disappointed you.

Since I think Siegfried is the wink link in the Karajan cycle, I don't expect it will change your mind. But stranger things have happened  :D

Sarge

I wouldn't necessarily say it dissapointed me Sarge. It is a completely different interpretation to what I am used to, so it will remain a valuable addition to my Wagner collection  :).  My tastes have been known to change over time  :D!!

marvin

yashin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQU7QpUS9uo

Watch this clip from Sofia opera of Das Rheingold.  Fathner and Fasolt are brought in on a mini JCB and it looks like the killing scene is done with a golf club?  I like the Rhine maidens bouncing on the trampoline. Looks fun.

marvinbrown

I am almost midway through Karajan's Siegfried and I love it!!!  Siegfried has forged Notung and has left to the East Forest with Mime.  Alberich and Wotan are arguing it out outside Fafner's lair....wow what spectacular playing by the BPO!  Is it me or has Karajan picked up the pace with Siegfried?  Where was this much needed tension in Die Walkure? 

marvin

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 01, 2011, 12:15:03 PM

I am almost midway through Karajan's Siegfried and I love it!!!  Siegfried has forged Notung and has left to the East Forest with Mime.  Alberich and Wotan are arguing it out outside Fafner's lair....wow what spectacular playing by the BPO!  Is it me or has Karajan picked up the pace with Siegfried?  Where was this much needed tension in Die Walkure? 

marvin

YES!!  :D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

AndyD.

I like the Karajan, in fact I consider Act One of Die Walkure and portions of Siegfried and Gotterdammerung to be among the best. I notice though that I don't play it that often, I'm almost always playing the Solti, or watching the Boulez and Levine.

I actually break out the Furtwangler and Bohm far more.
http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

marvinbrown

I just finished listening to Karajan's Gotterdammerung......one word GORGEOUS!!   Karajan's Gotterdammerung is the most beautiful Gotterdammerung I have ever heard. I will have to revisit Karajan's Die Walkure for a 2nd listen.

Quote from: AndyD. on May 01, 2011, 12:26:29 PM
I like the Karajan, in fact I consider Act One of Die Walkure and portions of Siegfried and Gotterdammerung to be among the best. I notice though that I don't play it that often, I'm almost always playing the Solti, or watching the Boulez and Levine.

I actually break out the Furtwangler and Bohm far more.

Hi Andy, I can see how addictive Solti's ring can be.  After donating my Furtwangler RAI Ring ( I could no longer tolerate the poor sound on the Furtwangler), I feasted on the Solti set for years......until I discovered Bohm's live recording from Bayreuth!!  On the whole I prefer Bohm's Ring to Solti's which really surprised me.  My favorite Rings are (in order of preference):

1) Bohm
  2) Solti
  3) Karajan and Levine (DVD  ;))  (tie)
  4) Furtwangler RAI

There is one other Ring that I would love to hear......... KEILBERTH 1955!  I am still waiting for its price to drop.......will it ever??  >:(

marvin

AndyD.

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 03, 2011, 12:08:10 PM
  I just finished listening to Karajan's Gotterdammerung......one word GORGEOUS!!   Karajan's Gotterdammerung is the most beautiful Gotterdammerung I have ever heard. I will have to revisit Karajan's Die Walkure for a 2nd listen.

Hi Andy, I can see how addictive Solti's ring can be.  After donating my Furtwangler RAI Ring ( I could no longer tolerate the poor sound on the Furtwangler), I feasted on the Solti set for years......until I discovered Bohm's live recording from Bayreuth!!  On the whole I prefer Bohm's Ring to Solti's which really surprised me.  My favorite Rings are (in order of preference):

1) Bohm
  2) Solti
  3) Karajan and Levine (DVD  ;))  (tie)
  4) Furtwangler RAI

There is one other Ring that I would love to hear......... KEILBERTH 1955!  I am still waiting for its price to drop.......will it ever??  >:(

marvin

Hi Marvin, great to hear from you!

Oh, the Bohm Bayreuth is an amazing Ring. I love the tempo choices in particular. I think Bohm really put his personal stamp on that production. The Karajan is fantastic, I love how the subtleties seem to stand out a bit more in that set. The Siegfried is quite good too.

I haven't checked out the Karajan dvd yet, and I know I really should. It's just that I already have so many Rings, my girl isn't wild about the fact (laughing).

From the one time I heard it, the Keilberth Walkure is outstanding. I'm curious as to the rest.

My rockin' Metal wife:

bigshot

No Act 1 of Die Walkure has ever matched Walter's with the VPO and Melchior, Lehmann and List. It's probably the greatest recording of Wagner period.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 01, 2011, 12:15:03 PM
I am almost midway through Karajan's Siegfried and I love it!!!

:o

So miracles do happen  ;D

Seriously, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I have only one reason to call it the weak link (and it has nothing to do with Karajan, the Berlin Phil or most of the cast): it's the relative weakness of Jess Thomas in the title role. Vocally Mime blows him out of the water. However, I've made my peace with him by thinking how Siegfried at this point is still in diapers, metaphorically speaking, with Mime the smarter, more powerful and dangerous character. In fact, if not for a little birdie, and the magic Siegfried employs, Mime would surely have gotten his hands on the Ring.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: bigshot on May 03, 2011, 08:54:06 PM
No Act 1 of Die Walkure has ever matched Walter's with the VPO and Melchior, Lehmann and List. It's probably the greatest recording of Wagner period.

That's the conventional wisdom. However, I think Karajan's Act I is even better. Vickers brings more depth and anguish to the character, Janowitz is simply gorgeous sounding (now there's a woman I'd even consider committing incest with  ;D ), and Karajan and Berlin play the hell out of scene three. Sure Melchior is thrilling vocally but the way Vickers sings that final line about Blut, with a fatalism that is incredibly chilling, is staggering. Gets my vote, anyway, for the single most impressive Wagner moment...period. (That's not to say I'd ever give up my Walter recording  ;) )

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

AndyD.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 04, 2011, 04:33:19 AM
That's the conventional wisdom. However, I think Karajan's Act I is even better. Vickers brings more depth and anguish to the character, Janowitz is simply gorgeous sounding (now there's a woman I'd even consider committing incest with  ;D ), and Karajan and Berlin play the hell out of scene three. Sure Melchior is thrilling vocally but the way Vickers sings that final line about Blut, with a fatalism that is incredibly chilling, is staggering. Gets my vote, anyway, for the single most impressive Wagner moment...period. (That's not to say I'd ever give up my Walter recording  ;) )

Sarge

The Walter is terrific, but I have to give the Karajan the nod. Not just for the amazing singers, but the conducting and overall sound in the orchestra. Of course, the last might have just as much to do with the recording.

I am also a massive fan of the Boulez Act I of Walkure, looks like it's a bit underrated around here. Great to watch and listen to.

My rockin' Metal wife:

Brahmsian

Hey guys, I want to know what you think is the most "kick ass" Prelude to Act I of Die Walkure (the birthplace of Heavy Metal!)?

I love Levine's/Met and Solti's/WP version of this Prelude.

Also, who has the most ominous, eerie sounding Prelude to Act II of Siegfried, in your minds?

As well, besides Solti/WP, does any other Ring recording use actual "steer horns" in Gotterdammerung?

Cheers, Ring fans!   8)

AndyD.

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 04, 2011, 06:08:10 AM
Hey guys, I want to know what you think is the most "kick ass" Prelude to Act I of Die Walkure (the birthplace of Heavy Metal!)?

I love Levine's/Met and Solti's/WP version of this Prelude.

Also, who has the most ominous, eerie sounding Prelude to Act II of Siegfried, in your minds?

As well, besides Solti/WP, does any other Ring recording use actual "steer horns" in Gotterdammerung?

Cheers, Ring fans!   8)

For me, the Prelude to Act I of Tannhauser was the real beginning of Metal. I also think it's the heaviest piece of music ever written. Just my opinion. I was listening to the Bayreuth Lohengrin dvd recently and was struck by how "Metal" Act II sounded, super heavy.

If you're looking for a heavy version of Act I of Die Walkure, you're on the right road with Solti and Levine.

I thought the Levine Siegfried Act II Prelude was pretty darn creepy.

I'm not sure about the steer horns. That's actually a really cool question, now I'm curious.

My rockin' Metal wife:

Brahmsian

Quote from: AndyD. on May 04, 2011, 06:15:30 AM
For me, the Prelude to Act I of Tannhauser was the real beginning of Metal. I also think it's the heaviest piece of music ever written. Just my opinion.

Well then, I will have to listen to Tannhauser, as I don't believe I have ever heard that opera yet, or at least I've only heard small excerpts of it.  Do you have a recording recommendation, Andy?   8)

karlhenning

I just might listen me up some Wagner today . . . .

Brahmsian

Quote from: Apollon on May 04, 2011, 06:25:13 AM
I just might listen me up some Wagner today . . . .

Time to pull out that Cube, Karl8)

AndyD.

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 04, 2011, 06:17:42 AM
Well then, I will have to listen to Tannhauser, as I don't believe I have ever heard that opera yet, or at least I've only heard small excerpts of it.  Do you have a recording recommendation, Andy?   8)

Oh YEAH! It's best just to grab this bad boy for now (super cheap and well worth every last cent)

[asin]B00000422O[/asin]

My rockin' Metal wife:

Brahmsian

Quote from: AndyD. on May 04, 2011, 06:27:54 AM

Oh YEAH! It's best just to grab this bad boy for now (super cheap and well worth every last cent)

[asin]B00000422O[/asin]

Oooh, that does look tantalizing, especially since it's Solti/WP.  I'm just waiting and praying for a miracle that someday the Solti/WP Ring will find it's way into the "Super Duper Cheap Bargain Thread".

Yeah, I know......keep on dreamin'.  ;D

DavidW

I second Andy's rec, that's a good twofer. :)