Wagner One Ring to rule them all...

Started by canninator, September 24, 2007, 03:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: haydnfan on May 04, 2011, 06:32:43 AM
I second Andy's rec, that's a good twofer. :)

Oh man, I'm SO a huge fan of the "twofers"!   :)

The new erato

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 04, 2011, 06:31:01 AM
Oooh, that does look tantalizing, especially since it's Solti/WP.  I'm just waiting and praying for a miracle that someday the Solti/WP Ring will find it's way into the "Super Duper Cheap Bargain Thread".

Yeah, I know......keep on dreamin'.  ;D
Or into a twofer. That would save me a lot of time.

eyeresist

I have the Solti twofer and don't much like it, although I like what I've heard of his Ring. My impression of it was hard-edged and superficial. I am waiting for my Klemperer twofer to arrive!

Scarpia

Quote from: eyeresist on May 04, 2011, 07:13:32 PM
I have the Solti twofer and don't much like it, although I like what I've heard of his Ring. My impression of it was hard-edged and superficial. I am waiting for my Klemperer twofer to arrive!

I had the same impression.  It is one of those CDs I keep around because it should be good, and I know that if I sell it off, I'll find myself buying it again.  For overtures, I enjoy the Bohm collection.

eyeresist

Does anyone else have the Klemperer twofer on EMI?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: eyeresist on May 04, 2011, 07:59:41 PM
Does anyone else have the Klemperer twofer on EMI?

I do. Excellent Walter Legge production, Klemperer exhibiting all his virtues and few of his faults (some might think the Meistersinger Prelude is a bit stodgy: I find it majestic). Along with Szell's two discs, Klemperer's is my favorite set of bleeding chunks. Like you and the Baron, I don't much care for the Solti.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 05, 2011, 04:02:35 AM
I do. Excellent Walter Legge production, Klemperer exhibiting all his virtues and few of his faults (some might think the Meistersinger Prelude is a bit stodgy: I find it majestic). Along with Szell's two discs, Klemperer's is my favorite set of bleeding chunks. Like you and the Baron, I don't much care for the Solti.

Agreement here. And Klemperer's Meistersinger Prelude is my favourite performance...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

karlhenning

Quote from: Leon on May 05, 2011, 08:18:17 AM
What is the feeling about the Goodall/ENO Ring Cycle - in English?

I don't know it, did not even know of it until your query here . . . I like an ENO English recording of Duke Bluebeard's Castle, so I am interested.

Quote from: LeonIf it could be found (Chandos has it listed as unavilavailable, as does Amazon), I might be interested.  Reviews say it is one of the slowest recorded performances . . . .

You're talking four evenings, so what's our hurry? ; )

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 05, 2011, 09:01:59 AM
I don't know it, did not even know of it until your query here . . . I like an ENO English recording of Duke Bluebeard's Castle, so I am interested.

In Wagner, failing to understand the words can be a distinct advantage.   :)

karlhenning

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 05, 2011, 09:48:10 AM
In Wagner, failing to understand the words can be a distinct advantage.   :)

OTOH, with so much potential for tedium, why lose opportunities for amusement? ; )

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 05, 2011, 10:02:06 AM
OTOH, with so much potential for tedium, why lose opportunities for amusement? ; )

You can fill in your own lyrics.  During Wotan's enormous soliloquy in Walkure I image he's complaining about his spear.  "Boy this one was expensive.  They tried to sell me on the 4 meter model, but the 3 meter version is much better for hand-to-hand combat.  And always go for the ash spear, they'll try to convince you to get one of those modern aluminum spears, but boy will your hands sting if you plant that in someone's bronze breast-plate.  Whatever you do don't get walnut, looks good but man is it heavy.  Try to battle a Niebelungen with that thing, they'll run behind you before you can even pivot with one of those walnut spears..."

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on May 05, 2011, 10:16:42 AM
During Wotan's enormous soliloquy in Walkure I image he's complaining about his spear.

The sure fire way to tell if you are a true Wagnerite: Do you believe Walküre Act II is the heart of the Ring? If the answer is yes, then you become a member of the inner circle. If no...well, you're just a pathetic poser  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

bhodges

You can fill in your own lyrics.  During Wotan's enormous soliloquy in Walkure I image he's complaining about his spear.  "Boy this one was expensive.  They tried to sell me on the 4 meter model, but the 3 meter version is much better for hand-to-hand combat.  And always go for the ash spear, they'll try to convince you to get one of those modern aluminum spears, but boy will your hands sting if you plant that in someone's bronze breast-plate.  Whatever you do don't get walnut, looks good but man is it heavy.  Try to battle a Niebelungen with that thing, they'll run behind you before you can even pivot with one of those walnut spears..."

;D  Love it...

--Bruce

DavidW

Yeah I think I would call that post of the day, perhaps post of the week. :D

karlhenning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 05, 2011, 10:22:49 AM
The sure fire way to tell if you are a true Wagnerite: Do you believe Walküre Act II is the heart of the Ring?

If it's performed in scat, sure . . . .

J.Z. Herrenberg

You got the gist of it all right.

:D
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

eyeresist

Currently resisting a "Kill da wabbit" joke...

bigshot

I have the Goodall Ring and it is very good. The rhinemaiden music is the only part that really suffers from the slow tempo. Alberto Remedios is a great heldentenor and Rita Hunter is one of my favorite Brunnies. Being able to understand the words is a distinct advantage. The long narratives and back and forth dialogue that can seem tedious come alive when you can understand the words. The first half of Siegfried is a whole lot easier to take, and the humor is brought out. Porter's translation is very sensitive to lining up musical accents andwords properly. It's deceptive in its apparent simplicity.

There is a live Ring radio broadcast from Seattle with Remedios and Hunter that is available on CDR from Rita Hunter's website that is electrifying.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Leon on May 05, 2011, 08:18:17 AM
What is the feeling about the Goodall/ENO Ring Cycle - in English?

If it could be found (Chandos has it listed as unavilavailable, as does Amazon), I might be interested.  Reviews say it is one of the slowest recorded performances but still many consider this Ring one of the best.

Quote from: bigshot on May 05, 2011, 10:28:59 PM
I have the Goodall Ring and it is very good. The rhinemaiden music is the only part that really suffers from the slow tempo. Alberto Remedios is a great heldentenor and Rita Hunter is one of my favorite Brunnies. Being able to understand the words is a distinct advantage. The long narratives and back and forth dialogue that can seem tedious come alive when you can understand the words. The first half of Siegfried is a whole lot easier to take, and the humor is brought out. Porter's translation is very sensitive to lining up musical accents andwords properly. It's deceptive in its apparent simplicity.

There is a live Ring radio broadcast from Seattle with Remedios and Hunter that is available on CDR from Rita Hunter's website that is electrifying.

Wagner in English???  :o  Yes I suppose one can argue that English is a "Germanic" language but Wagner?? in English??   I'd say the essence of Wagner has be destroyed!  Wagner spent years writing the words to his music dramas and I would argue that the sound of the German language, German words and inflections were critical in the composition of those music dramas!   

Edit: Many will disagree with me and are free to do so  $:)!
  marvin

karlhenning

Quote from: eyeresist on May 05, 2011, 05:27:41 PM
Currently resisting a "Kill da wabbit" joke...

What's Opera, Doc? I wuv it!