Wagner One Ring to rule them all...

Started by canninator, September 24, 2007, 03:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 18, 2011, 06:46:17 AM
Unfortunately, the Bundespost usually extracts an arm, leg and your first born for overseas shipping.

Sarge

I'll do a price comparison between Amazon DE and Amazon Canada.  With duty and shipping, it may still end up being cheaper going with Amazon Canada.

AndyD.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 18, 2011, 06:04:42 AM
Amazon DE has a "like new" copy for 55.99 Euro, That's about 77 Canadian dollars. I bought my Solti Ring when the price dipped momentarily a few years ago in Germany to 65 Euro. It's considerably more now (€100-125)

That's a fantastic price. I bought mine several years ago, one opera at a time. Whole thing cost me around 200 U.S. I would jump all over that deal!

Getting verrry interested in that supa dupa Krauss redo.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 18, 2011, 06:49:39 AM
Demanding truly Wagnerian sacrifice!

Oh dear.
http://andydigelsomina.blogspot.com/

My rockin' Metal wife:

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 17, 2011, 05:16:34 PM
The only Ring cycle I own is Barenboim's and I haven't heard a note of it.

[asin]B004FLKV5O[/asin]

For what it's worth, that's one of my three favorite Rings (I have twelve). I think it's got the best sound of any Ring I've heard (the glorious Bayreuth acoustic caught perfectly). Tomlinson's Wotan is superb (I prefer him even to Hotter). I love Jerusalem's Siegfried and Evans' Brünnhilde is more to my taste than say Varnay or Nilsson. Barenboim conducts a performance that is broad and epic: not quite a modern Furtwängler but close.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

karlhenning

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 18, 2011, 07:06:01 AM
For what it's worth, that's one of my three favorite Rings (I have twelve). I think it's got the best sound of any Ring I've heard (the glorious Bayreuth acoustic caught perfectly). Tomlinson's Wotan is superb (I prefer him even to Hotter). I love Jerusalem's Siegfried and Evans' Brünnhilde is more to my taste than say Varnay or Nilsson. Barenboim conducts a performance that is broad and epic: not quite a modern Furtwängler but close.

Sarge

Yes, the Barenboim Ring came highly recommended to me by many people on this forum and a few friends who know Wagner from Amazon. I'm going to try to listen to it at least one of the operas next week (I'll be on vacation starting on Saturday), so I'm sure I can make some time for Wagner in there somewhere. :)

karlhenning

Scarpia

Is that a live recording?  I wonder if it the soundtrack of the similar DVD set or a studio recording.  And now I see that the DVD set is out of print (on US websites)!    >:(

Sergeant Rock

Scarpia

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 18, 2011, 08:27:05 AM
Yes and yes.

Damn, the DVD would have been cheaper than the CDs, with better sound, and it is out of print already (the one distributed in Europe is not compatible with Region 1 players).   >:(

PSmith08

Sarge

I think this about sums it up (Tomlinson's Wotan is indeed one for the ages), and I would only add that, at least when I bought the Warner Classics reissue, the set had the fantastic libretti from the original Teldec releases, which go so far as to mark the Leitmotiven. Quite a far cry from the modern practice of giving us a DVD-ROM with the libretto on it.

karlhenning

Patrick! nice to see you about, lad!

Valentino

The Barenboim is on my hard drive. Have only sampled it so far. I too do need a vacation.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

karlhenning

Man, when I have a vacation, I'm not listening to the Ring.

The second week's vacation, maybe
: )

PSmith08

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 18, 2011, 10:16:56 AM
Man, when I have a vacation, I'm not listening to the Ring.

I know, man, listening to the Ring is hard work  :D

Sarge

karlhenning

I enjoy 90 minutes of Wagner (which wasn't always the case, Sarge) . . . but after about the 90-minute mark, my ears start itching for some Schoenberg . . . I don't know why . . . .

; )

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 18, 2011, 11:52:11 AM
I enjoy 90 minutes of Wagner (which wasn't always the case, Sarge) . . . but after about the 90-minute mark, my ears start itching for some Schoenberg . . . I don't know why . . . .

; )

You mean Gurrelieder?
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Brahmsian

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 18, 2011, 11:52:11 AM

; )

FWIW, Karl, nowadays I usually can only listen to one Act of Wagner per day.  Well, that really goes for any opera of any composer.

However, when I first got *hooked onto Wagner (via the Solti Ring copy at the library), I listened to the entire Siegfried twice in one day, and ran out of hours in the day to listen to it a 3rd time in the same day (I enjoyed it that much).

*Happened to be on a solo fishing trip in Northwestern Ontario in July 2008, so the pun is apropos. 

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 18, 2011, 02:11:56 AM
  Not sure about that remastering on the Orfeo set but last night I listened to the first 2 Acts of Krauss's Das Rheingold (Archipel) and I hear what you say about the orchestra being fatally recessed.  But the voices, good heavens the voices were spectacular.  I was instantly hooked.  From what I have heard so far I would say that the Krauss Ring is the direct opposite of the Karajan Ring where I was begging for more vocal power (esp. in Die Walkure) at the expense of the BPO's superb playing.  To each his own I guess!

marvin

Yes, the one great benefit of the Krauss Ring is the voices come across with wonderful clarity. No complaints there.

So I can see the set's allure...

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach