Wagner One Ring to rule them all...

Started by canninator, September 24, 2007, 03:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elgarian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 26, 2012, 12:54:15 AM
I don't know whether you will like the production, but I think you will like the sound. The orchestra is good and so is the singing (most of the time). So as long as you are a bit forgiving (or at least flexible) on the staging, I think you will enjoy it.

Oh thanks, that's great. I'm long accustomed to being a bit forgiving about stagings of the Ring on DVD (it's an occupational requirement), so it sounds like I'll be OK.

eyeresist

There is a DVD of highlights from Mehta's cycle, going for $9 bluray and $10 DVD. Runtime is given as 130 min.

Blurb:
Quote100 minutes of the most stunning visual and musical highlights of this production by La Fura dels Baus, including two new documentaries about Franc Aleu and Carlus Padrissa
The highlights include arias of the world-class Wagner singers such as Seiffert, Salminen, Kapellmann, Mayer,
Schnitzer and promising young talents like Jennifer Wilson (Brünnhilde), John Daszak (Loge) and Juha Uusitalo (Wotan).

Can I ask what people's opinions are on Haenchen's Ring?

Also, has anyone seen this one?

[ASIN]B00361DR4G[/ASIN]

bigshot

Jeannine Altmeyer must be in her sixties in that, no?!

jlaurson

Quote from: eyeresist on March 26, 2012, 04:33:18 PM
There is a DVD of highlights from Mehta's cycle, going for $9 bluray and $10 DVD. Runtime is given as 130 min.

Blurb:

Haenchen's Ring is incredibly well played and superbly recorded. Pierre Audi's staging is actually quite neat. I didn't warm to it, initially, but found it visually intriguing.
Perhaps it took La Fura dels Baus inane, banal, one-trick-pony production (that highlight DVD should forever squelch any desire on your part to see the whole shabang, if you can even make it through the whole thing) for me to appreciate the linearity and the coolly applied intelligence of it. Haenchen is a more imaginative conductor than Mehta, too, and although Mehta gets a lot out of his 3rd Rank orchestra (superb, really), Haenchen gets more out of his 2nd Rank orchestra, still.

Elgarian

Quote from: eyeresist on March 26, 2012, 04:33:18 PM

That's the one I was asking about, above. The Rheingold and Walkure from that set are both available very cheaply (£10 or under) at the moment on Amazon Marketplace and at MDT. Siegfried and Rheingold are still full price, sadly.

eyeresist

Quote from: jlaurson on March 26, 2012, 11:30:19 PMHaenchen's Ring is incredibly well played and superbly recorded. Pierre Audi's staging is actually quite neat. I didn't warm to it, initially, but found it visually intriguing.
Perhaps it took La Fura dels Baus inane, banal, one-trick-pony production (that highlight DVD should forever squelch any desire on your part to see the whole shabang, if you can even make it through the whole thing) for me to appreciate the linearity and the coolly applied intelligence of it. Haenchen is a more imaginative conductor than Mehta, too, and although Mehta gets a lot out of his 3rd Rank orchestra (superb, really), Haenchen gets more out of his 2nd Rank orchestra, still.

This is a very useful post - Thanks!

Elgarian

Quote from: jlaurson on March 26, 2012, 11:30:19 PM
Haenchen's Ring is incredibly well played and superbly recorded. Pierre Audi's staging is actually quite neat. I didn't warm to it, initially, but found it visually intriguing.

My Haenchen  Walkure arrived yesterday, and I watched the first half of Act 3 as a taster. I must say, I was very pleasantly surprised after the mixed reviews I'd read. It takes a few minutes to adjust to the strange stage set and orchestra position, and I wasn't at all sure about the Valkyries' wings until I realised how expressively they could be choreographed.  The orchestral playing is weighty and powerful, and seems superbly recorded. I could barely recognise Jeannine Altmeyer, though she sang remarkably well (certainly not as badly as some reviews have suggested). Wotan a bit wooden in acting terms, but fine singing.

Altogether, I think this looks and sounds very promising. Real fire, unusual but not inappropriate costumes, and a set that's both abstract and innovative but which doesn't jar. I'm thinking now of grabbing the Henchen  Rheingold while it's cheaply available.

eyeresist

So the Haenchen one sounds like a winner. A shame no-one seems to have seen the St. Clair Ring.

duncan

Quote from: eyeresist on March 27, 2012, 11:59:43 PM
So the Haenchen one sounds like a winner. A shame no-one seems to have seen the St. Clair Ring.

I've seen the St. Clair Ring live.  Short review here.  Executive summary: very good in the theatre, don't rush to buy the DVDs.

Elgarian

An update on the Haenchen Ring. After sampling the Walkure (available at bargain price on DVD), I plunged in and bought Rheingold from that series (also available very cheaply).

Well I must say, while watching scenes 1 and 2 of Rheingold, I was completely engrossed by this production. The set is abstract, but entirely acceptable - more than appropriate; even visually exciting. The costumes are strange but again, more than appropriate. The giants are probably the best giants I've ever seen - they seem to be made of earth. The movements of the characters are carefully choreographed for dramatic effect; Loge is particularly effective, varying his movements with the music. Freia is beautiful, and she sounds beautiful too. The singing overall may not be up there in the very top rank - I don't think I'm competent to judge - but the orchestra sounds marvellous, and most importantly, I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. For all its strangeness, it's possible that this is the most convincing Ring production I've seen on DVD, so far.

eyeresist

Quote from: duncan on April 02, 2012, 10:37:14 AMI've seen the St. Clair Ring live.  Short review here.  Executive summary: very good in the theatre, don't rush to buy the DVDs.

Very useful, thanks Duncan.

I bought the Karajan Rheingold DVD recently, but didn't make it past the first scene. The vision was exceedingly murky, and the staging just looked silly. I think the land-based segments will be more effective.

madaboutmahler

All ready to start.... :D

I am very excited!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 03, 2012, 02:22:59 AM

"...E flat denotes the Rhine,
Where everything began. The world's life. Mine..." --James Merrill, "The Ring Cycle"

Enjoy the journey  8)

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 03, 2012, 02:30:35 AM

"...E flat denotes the Rhine,
Where everything began. The world's life. Mine..." --James Merrill, "The Ring Cycle"

Enjoy the journey  8)

Sarge

haha, this makes me even more excited to start! Right, no more waiting, off to start the journey now!  :) Thank you, Sarge!
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

I am very excited!

That's absolutely great, Daniel! I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion once you've listened to Das Rheingold! :D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

duncan

I am very excited!

Excellent.  I suggest something stronger than PG tips though:

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: duncan on April 03, 2012, 06:11:42 AM
Excellent.  I suggest something stronger than PG tips though:

Wow, does that brand of white wine really exist??
Personally I don't like wine, but I would have a taste to the Wagner-Dry-Riesling. ;D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 03, 2012, 06:42:41 AM
Wow, does that brand of white wine really exist??
Personally I don't like wine, but I would have a taste to the Wagner-Dry-Riesling. ;D

You are Italian...but you don't like wine?  :o  Is that even allowed in Italy?  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Elgarian

I am very excited!

And there's every reason to be. What you're about to embark upon has the potential to become almost overwhelming (in all the best ways).

Good luck.

madaboutmahler

haha - if only I was old enough... ;) Just finished Das Rheingold, the music was so amazing anyway that I completely forgot about the tea... :D

Quote from: Elgarian on April 03, 2012, 07:17:58 AM
And there's every reason to be. What you're about to embark upon has the potential to become almost overwhelming (in all the best ways).

Good luck.
Thank you! It certainly is an amazing journey so far. Very excited to continue...
— Ludwig van Beethoven