Wagner One Ring to rule them all...

Started by canninator, September 24, 2007, 03:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 03, 2012, 06:47:38 AM
You are Italian...but you don't like wine?  :o  Is that even allowed in Italy?  ;D

Sarge

Yes, it sounds really strange, doesn't it? :)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on Today at 18:47:20
Yes, it sounds really strange, doesn't it? :)

I was born in the land of Heineken (forget Rembrandt), and I don't drink beer. Or any alcohol, for that matter.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

calyptorhynchus

Purely factual question:

In Die Walkure Act III scene iii a wind instrument with an unusual timbre accompanies Brunnhilda in some of her, what do you call them? I'd call them speeches  ;D.  Is it an oboe d'amore?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 03, 2012, 07:20:26 AMJust finished Das Rheingold, the music was so amazing

That's what Ilaria and I have been telling you for how long now? ;) :D Anyway, it's good to see you dive right into it. When I first heard Das Rheingold, the musical universe suddenly made a lot more sense to me. 8)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on Today at 00:12:34
Purely factual question:

In Die Walkure Act III scene iii a wind instrument with an unusual timbre accompanies Brunnhilda in some of her, what do you call them? I'd call them speeches  ;D .  Is it an oboe d'amore?

It is a combination of wind instruments
(War es so schmählich etc.): cor anglais, clarinet in A, bass clarinet, bassoon, and sometimes the oboe adds its voice.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 03, 2012, 06:00:30 PM
That's what Ilaria and I have been telling you for how long now? ;) :D Anyway, it's good to see you dive right into it. When I first heard Das Rheingold, the musical universe suddenly made a lot more sense to me. 8)

haha, thank you, John! :) I'm going to listen to Das Rheingold again today, and then start on Die Walkure tommorow. Very excited! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 04, 2012, 02:34:14 AM
haha, thank you, John! :) I'm going to listen to Das Rheingold again today, and then start on Die Walkure tommorow. Very excited! :)

About Das Rheingold I forgot to ask, did you like the hammer in the Verwandlungsmusik? ;)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Karl Henning

I suspect that Daniel never met a hammer he didn't like ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 04, 2012, 03:54:05 AM
About Das Rheingold I forgot to ask, did you like the hammer in the Verwandlungsmusik? ;)
Quote from: karlhenning on April 04, 2012, 03:59:10 AM
I suspect that Daniel never met a hammer he didn't like ; )

haha ;)
Very much so, Ilaria! :D The section with the 16 anvils was also absolutely brilliant! Off to go and listen to it all again in a minute! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

madaboutmahler

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 04, 2012, 04:04:01 AM
haha ;)
Very much so, Ilaria! :D The section with the 16 anvils was also absolutely brilliant! Off to go and listen to it all again in a minute! :)

I enjoyed the opera today even more than I did yesterday! Such amazing music!
Am excited about Die Walkure now! I'll probably listen to it a half at a time. ;)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 04, 2012, 08:27:28 AM
Am excited about Die Walkure now! I'll probably listen to it a half at a time. ;)

Take it one act at a time with an immediate encore of Act I Scene 3  8)  The second act especially can be quite taxing but it is the heart of the Ring.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 04, 2012, 08:30:22 AM
Take it one act at a time with an immediate encore of Act I Scene 3  8)  The second act especially can be quite taxing but it is the heart of the Ring.

Sarge

Ok, thank you for the advice, Sarge! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 04, 2012, 08:27:28 AM

You can't listen to just half of Die Walkure, you will be tempted to continue till the end...the thrilling, passionate Magic Fire Music :)

Brahmsian

Daniel, glad you diving into The Ring, and enjoying it so far!

The Prelude to Act I of Die Walkure is so heavy metal ~ it is mind and speaker blowing!!  :D

Lisztianwagner

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 04, 2012, 03:54:05 AMdid you like the hammer in the Verwandlungsmusik? ;)

This was just a brilliant idea of orchestration from Wagner. Simply ingenious. :D

Brahmsian

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 04, 2012, 08:40:42 AM
Heavy metal? ::)

Yes, I find it reminds me of a 'heavy metal' riff.  It is intense.  I'm sure it influenced many Heavy Metal musicians, but I could be wrong, of course.  :(

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ChamberNut on April 04, 2012, 08:53:07 AM
....but I could be wrong, of course.  :(

Or not. Andy probably agrees with you. I have no trouble calling it metal either. Or maybe proto-metal  ;D

Sarge

Elgarian

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on April 04, 2012, 08:35:54 AM
You can't listen to just half of Die Walkure, you will be tempted to continue till the end...the thrilling, passionate Magic Fire Music :)

These words of Ilaria's are true. Sarge is right about Act 2, but oh, the reward you get for your patience is delivered with hundreds of bonus points in Act 3.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Elgarian on April 04, 2012, 09:00:31 AM
....but oh, the reward you get for your patience is delivered with hundreds of bonus points in Act 3.

True....it was Act 3 that turned me into a perfect Wagnerite  8)

Sarge